Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rant: Facebook, Google, and Other Untrustworthy Scumbags
For a rant guy, I really don't rant that much. I mean, I did start a forum about ranting, but those that know me are aware that I don't get heated very often. To say the least.

Anyway, I was reading this article from bloomberg about the latest Google debacle and it all begin to just stack up on my chest. Don't get me wrong, I'm not naive enough to think that the big Internet companies are always playing nice, but god damn it seems like everyone is up to no good all the time!

Facebook is obviously under fire for nefarious, data mining/selling/trading/giving-the-fuck-awaying...Zuckerberg is looking ragged out in those cashmere hoodies. Some might say that this big downfall is society's way of pushing back— or that these companies losing in the stock market speak as a warning to all other big Internet media companies to play nice or...or what?

They still made (and are still making) billions of dollars. Zuck is filthy fucking rich, won't do jail time, like ever, and can always ghost some other tech company in the worst case (and extremely unlikely) scenario of his getting kicked off of FB's board of directors.

Google knew we got fucked and chose to hide it. To me that speaks volumes about how much big companies "care about privacy" and "know better" than to betray the world at large. Just like all of the rich assholes, Google and Facebook will never be truly held accountable. Seems like that is a trend lately...
it is, and we can't do anything about it, other then stop using them, but the world is hella empty without.

now facebook is something special. fuck facebook....
I agree with you 100%. I deleted my Google+ profile (which I had not even used in over 5 years) and left them a snarky message why. What else can I do? I'm not going to stop using YouTube and Gmail, Google Search, Maps, Android, etc. As a consumer, even a fairly tech savvy one who uses Linux on the desktop, I have zero control over what any major corporation does with my private info. Not to mention the NSA. And you're right that the people with money never go to jail. I am starting to feel more and more that I'm living during the waning days of the Roman Empire and the crazy guy in charge just ordered 150 days of gladiator games to keep the people entertained while the empire crashes and burns.
(10-13-2018, 10:43 PM)HTorr3ntz Wrote: it is, and we can't do anything about it, other then stop using them, but the world is hella empty without.

(10-14-2018, 01:23 AM)politux Wrote: I agree with you 100%.

Very true, and I guess that is what makes the angriest about all of this. Without Facebook, I would have a much more difficult time keeping up with friends and family that I don't live close to. In fact, I use it for keeping up with my in-state family as well.

And Google...don't get me started on how many services I'm signed into this very second.

On one hand, it is seriously awesome how much easier these companies have made our lives, but on the other, they have broken our trust over and over. Even with all the hoopla and Zuck going before congress, etc., I still think it is a dog and pony show. Nothing will ever happen to them that they can't shake off in a week.
Let's add Uber to this rant as boy have they had their fair share of this cover up stuff. Looks like corporatism at it's finest, get the money screw the people.
(10-30-2018, 07:59 PM)contrail Wrote: Let's add Uber to this rant as boy have they had their fair share of this cover up stuff. Looks like corporatism at it's finest, get the money screw the people.

Its a free-for-all with our trust these days, for sure.
If I could only believe this were true:

WWW.COMMONDREAMS.ORG
'Real Teeth': Senator's Bill Would...
"There need to be consequences when corporations don't protect your...
the US should implement the Europe law on Privacy Protection and GDPR law.
it would make things a lot better for the most part.
Maybe we are heading in the right direction.

Quote:5 nations now demanding Mark Zuckerberg testify on Facebook's data misuse

WWW.CBSNEWS.COM
5 nations now demanding Mark Zuckerberg...
The "international grand committee"​ is a first of its kind, but...

Although, I'd rather see the calling for him to pay for this, rather than just to "testify."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Request My Google Toolbar has been Hijacked somehow AliShibaz 3 2,486 12-16-2014, 05:35 PM
Last Post: AliShibaz
  Tech Discussion Google to acquire Nest for $3.2 billion in cash velvetfog 2 1,848 01-14-2014, 03:55 PM
Last Post: velvetfog
  Tech Discussion Google's Nexus 7 Is Faster, Thinner, But More Expensive velvetfog 0 1,157 07-25-2013, 01:23 AM
Last Post: velvetfog