Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Edit Problem
I want to tell you that I have edited my post above several times using "quick edit" and half the time I edited it, I got a message that there was a problem and it did not update the message.

I'm guessing you must know about this problem and that I should have posted this in the "Suggestions" forum. But I thought I should begin by posting it in the forum where the problem ocurred.
(04-07-2012, 12:21 PM)AliShibaz Wrote: I want to tell you that I have edited my post above several times using "quick edit" and half the time I edited it, I got a message that there was a problem and it did not update the message.

I'm guessing you must know about this problem and that I should have posted this in the "Suggestions" forum. But I thought I should begin by posting it in the forum where the problem ocurred.

The appropriate forum is Site Issues, but I'm glad you brought it to my attention.

What exactly is happening?
Can you produce a screen shot?

Thread split. Moved to Site Issues/admin
Wildcard is awesome.
(04-07-2012, 01:46 PM)Mark Wrote:
(04-07-2012, 12:21 PM)AliShibaz Wrote: I want to tell you that I have edited my post above several times using "quick edit" and half the time I edited it, I got a message that there was a problem and it did not update the message.

The appropriate forum is Site Issues, but I'm glad you brought it to my attention.

What exactly is happening?
Can you produce a screen shot?

Thread split. Moved to Site Issues/admin

I can try. But it's just an ordinary text message. I think it would be easier to just tell you what it says.

But perhaps you could just take my post about Larry David and try quick editing each of the three curse words to "****" and then saving it and then quick-editing it again and saving it again. If you do that two or three times and don't get the problem message, then I would assume it has something to do with my PC and not yours.

I am running Windows 7 by the way and I will try to do this using my PC within the hour.
OK. I have changed the post back and forth three times and, of course, now it will not reproduce the problem.

So, I will just tell you that what happened was that when I changed those three curse words (each to the same number of asterisks as letters they contain) and then clicked on "Save Changes", it would take a very long time (about 60 seconds I'm guessing) and then produce an error message saying that there was a problem and it was unable to save my changes and that I should try to do the edit again.

I'm sorry I could not reproduce the error. But that is only to be expected, I suppose. I guess if no one else experiences the same kind of problem, then maybe we can just chalk it up to a transient problem with my PC and then forget about it.

I described the exact changes I tried to make in the hope that if I couldn't reproduce the problem then maybe you coulds. But if you couldn't, then I wouldn't waste any more time on it.

Thanks very much for taking the time to try and examine my report though.
Cool

If it happens again let us know Smile
Wildcard is awesome.
OK. It just happened again.

I was trying to use Quick Edit on my post about getting a picture to appear on my posts.

I just wanted to change one word in the post and I got the following message:
----------------------------------------------------------
There was an error performing the update.

The message is missing. Please enter a message.

I think this means that the site administrator can choose the text that will appear when this error occurs but they have not yet assigned any text to this error.

Well, the error did ocurr again.

Also, I was real happy when you described how I could resize the edit windows. But I tried and tried to find the lower right hand corner of the edit windows (I tried both Quick Edit and Full Edit but couldn't find the edit window's G-spot - at least not on my PC.

I couldn't see any dots and I tried to move the cursor around until it changed into that cursor whenever I get it to the point on the lower right corner of other windows. But it just wouldn't work for me.

Dang It!
OK. It just happened again.

I was trying to use Quick Edit on my post about getting a picture to appear on my posts.

I just wanted to change one word in the post and I got the following message:
There was an error performing the update.

The message is missing. Please enter a message.

I think this means that the site administrator can choose the text that will appear when this error occurs but they have not yet assigned any text to this error.

Well, the error did ocurr again.

Also, I was real happy when you described how I could resize the edit windows. But I tried and tried to find the lower right hand corner of the edit windows (I tried both Quick Edit and Full Edit but couldn't find the edit window's G-spot - at least not on my PC.

I couldn't see any dots and I tried to move the cursor around until it changed into that cursor whenever I get it to the point on the lower right corner of other windows. But it just wouldn't work for me.

Dang It!

And it just happened again. It happened in this post where I tried to change the spelling of the word "occur" above.
the resize options will only show up on certain browsers.... newer browsers. not sure which tho.

how quickly are you trying to edit your post? there is a chance that you are trying to edit the post before the forum actually knows you have made a post.
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
Sounds like Storm is right on both counts.

Tell me which browser you are using and what version.

Also the error message you received means that the post you are trying to create or edit has no characters in the message portion (in Quick Edit that is the only portion available.)
Wildcard is awesome.
Aha!

I use IE and Chrome. Usually Chrome. I think Storme is right too.

I'm using IE now and can't resize. I will now switch.

Yes. I'm using Chrome now and can resize fine.

Stupid IE.

I will pay attention from now on when that other problem happens (when I get that error message when trying to save an edit) and see if it only happens with IE as well.

BTW I'm using IE9 but can't figure out how to tell the version of Chrome. It doesn't have the traditional ALT-H menu for Help and When I press F1 in Chrome, I get the Windows Help.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Solved Quick Edit - "Loading Please Wait" radiobox 12 147 05-28-2018, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Wildcard
  My Post / My Threads quick link @ top of page kath3 15 7,319 04-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Last Post: Wildcard
  Solved Green problem? :p Togachu 16 165 02-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Last Post: Mark