Current time: 08-23-2017, 01:03 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about downloading from P2P apps.
04-07-2012, 05:49 AM
Question about downloading from P2P apps.
I recently discovered some sites that employ the "bit torrent" style of sharing files in P2P networks.

Specifically, I use uTorrent which is one of several bit torrent engines.

But many of these bit torrent engines use very similar techniques since they are all based on a similar technology.

I have a question about the use of uTorrent and I want to ask it here in case anyone here uses uTorrent or uses a similar bit torrent engine and knows the answer as it applies to their engine.

When downloading a file, the usual procedure is to take some time (maybe an hour or two) to download the file and then spend some time (usually a fair bit longer) uploading that file to other people who want it (that's called "seeding").

What I'd like to know is this: If I'm not going to be using my PC for a few days and I have a few files that are currently "in demand" and I'd be willing to share these files, can I share these files by "seeding" them without having to first download them?

In other words, I have already downloaded them and now want to initiate the second part of the procedure - the "seeding" - without needing to first download the files.

I don't want to actually create a Torrent file because I fear it is too complex for me. At this stage of my learning curve, I just don't believe I am ready to try doing that.

Would anyone know, in general, how to go about doing this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2012, 06:04 AM
RE: Question about downloading from P2P apps.
just leave your files on utorrent and as soon as you turn your pc back on they should be uploading automatically again

consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
04-07-2012, 07:17 AM
(04-07-2012 05:49 AM)AliShibaz Wrote:  In other words, I have already downloaded them and now want to initiate the second part of the procedure - the "seeding" - without needing to first download the files.

[Image: HpGbd.jpg]
04-07-2012, 07:34 AM
i can give you some basic info. i hope you find the answer you're looking for.

to seed something, and besides the obvious "computer with internet connection", you need 3 things:
- the file that is to be seeded
- the torrent file that contains the associated metadata
- a properly configured bittorrent client

i'm assuming you have all 3.

if a torrent is added to your client, it will be visibly listed.
it will not be removed and/or deleted unless you manually remove and/or delete it.
if you turn off your computer, when you turn it on again it'll still be there.
not only that, it'll automatically resume its assigned task (seed, download or stop)
as soon as you start up your client again.

there's only need for extra steps if:
- you have the file that is to be seeded
and the torrent file that contains the associated metadata
but the torrent file is not listed on your client.
or
but not the torrent file that contains the associated metadata.
04-07-2012, 08:12 AM
(04-07-2012 06:04 AM)srijantje Wrote:  just leave your files on utorrent and as soon as you turn your pc back on they should be uploading automatically again

I'm not sure I understand. I may have downloaded them several months ago and have long since finished with the process. The torrent automatically stops after a certain pre-defined limit.

Each user can set the limit for how long they want to seed in the initial process. It can be done in several ways. For example, you can specify a time limit. Say six hours. That means that after you download the file, you will spend 6 hours seeding before the torrent stops.

Another way is to specify a ration of amount of data downloaded versus amount of data uploaded. For example, suppose you are a very generous individual and specify that for every gigabyte you download, you want to upload two gigabytes. You would set the ratio to 2.00 which means that you will upload twice as much data as you download and when you reach that limit, the torrent will stop and close.

But the torrent may have closed many months ago and now I want to start it up again just so I can upload it to people who want it.
04-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Thank you very much.

I wrote my previous post before reading this post you just made.

Your post was very informative and I learned a valuable lesson from it.

In the past, I often stopped a job from running by deleting the data and the torrent file. I see now that is a mistake. There is no reason to delete the torrent file. They are very tiny and there is no problem with keeping them for a long time.

The truth is that I really don't understand very much about the bit torrent process and although I would very much like to learn more, I find the documentation very difficult to absorb.

I'm very much afraid of trying to create my own torrent files. My fear is that I often only learn by trial and error and I'm afraid that I will screw something up badly before I learn how to create my own torrent files.

That is the reason why I am asking this question. If I knew how to create my own torrent files, I would just do that and offer it for sharing. That seems to me to be the simplest and most direct approach to sharing my files using bit torrent.

But I will save your post and I thank you again. It was extremely informative and very well written too.

By the way, it was a mistake to terminate a job by deleting the torrent file. In most cases, I should just set the limit in advance and let the job terminate by itself when it reaches the limit.

The only reason I can see for terminating a job before it reaches its limit is if I "preview" the file and find the audio is in some other language.

Being able to use multiple audio tracks is another big mystery for me and I would love to learn how to do that. But I am a long way away from learning how to do that. There are so many other things I need to learn first.

(04-07-2012 07:34 AM)bob5695 Wrote:  i can give you some basic info. i hope you find the answer you're looking for.

to seed something, and besides the obvious "computer with internet connection", you need 3 things:
- the file that is to be seeded
- the torrent file that contains the associated metadata
- a properly configured bittorrent client

i'm assuming you have all 3.

if a torrent is added to your client, it will be visibly listed.
it will not be removed and/or deleted unless you manually remove and/or delete it.
if you turn off your computer, when you turn it on again it'll still be there.
not only that, it'll automatically resume its assigned task (seed, download or stop)
as soon as you start up your client again.

there's only need for extra steps if:
and the torrent file that contains the associated metadata
but the torrent file is not listed on your client.
or
but not the torrent file that contains the associated metadata.
04-07-2012, 08:32 AM
do you mean to create a video file with multiple audio tracks or to simply play it and selecting the audio track of your choice?

and yes, if you delete torrent+data and wish to seed again, you'll have to download everything from stratch.
if you only delete the torrent but not the data, all you have to do is grab the torrent file again (from wherever it's available - for example: the place you got it from the first time) and force-recheck it.
04-07-2012, 08:36 AM
(04-07-2012 08:12 AM)AliShibaz Wrote:  But the torrent may have closed many months ago and now I want to start it up again just so I can upload it to people who want it.

define "closed".

if it's "stopped" just start it again - if the data is still there, you'll seed, if it isn't, you'll download.
04-07-2012, 09:26 AM
I'm coming in late here, but it looks like to me that you are asking about how to get that .torrent file that you deleted back . . . maybe I'm wrong. It is like Bob said- just search TPB (or wherever you downloaded the torren) and download the torrent file again.

If you have moved the torrents data (the actual files you wanted) then restarting that torrent will make it begin downloading once again at 0% . . . to fix this and seed what you have already downloaded, you would need to have all the files that originally came with the torrent. For example a the movie comes with subtitles, but you deleted them you would no longer have all of the files (but you would have most of them.)

To get everything in straight and get back any files that you need to seed the torrent:

1. Start the torrent.
  2. Allow it to work long enough to build the directory structure (shouldn't take long, happens when the first piece is located)
  3. Copy the contents (ie movie, application, music) into that directory in your torrent folder.
  4. Stop the torrent- right-click it and select 'Force re-check' . . .

If you are missing files you will have less than 100% when the re-check is through. If that is the case, simply start the torrent, download what you are missing and then you will become a seed once again.

If this isn't what you need to know or you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask . . .

Wildcard is awesome.
04-07-2012, 10:46 AM
(04-07-2012 09:26 AM)Mark Wrote:  [*]Allow it to work long enough to build the directory structure (shouldn't take long, happens when the first piece is located)

or just select the path where the files are before you start the torrent...

...in which case, this step...

(04-07-2012 09:26 AM)Mark Wrote:  [*]Copy the contents (ie movie, application, music) into that directory in your torrent folder.

...becomes unnecessary.

however, if you have different locations for what's downloading/seeding and for what's already downloaded/not seeding, mark's tutorial is spot-on.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Another n00by question ColeMacGrath 3 1,584 01-10-2015 10:39 AM
Last Post: ColeMacGrath
  Dumb Firefox question LZA 4 2,235 08-26-2014 08:53 PM
Last Post: LZA
  downloading at Starbucks? land_stander 3 1,573 10-23-2013 06:10 AM
Last Post: land_stander

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)