Current time: 08-22-2017, 02:27 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pronunciation Mix-ups
07-23-2013, 11:25 PM
Pronunciation Mix-ups
Have you ever heard a person confidently mispronouncing a word? Did it amuse you as much as it does me? XD

I think one of the funniest things in the world is when a person is sure they are pronouncing a word correctly but are not. I know that it has happened to me before and I was pretty embarrassed about it Blush

So I'll just tell on on me first. Smile

I did not realize that the word 'adamant' was stressed like 'ad-uh-muhnt' when I was a kid and was nearly thirteen before one of my friends finally told me that it wasn't pronounced aDAMant LMAO I had only ever read it and never heard it said. Blush

Once I remember a preacher I knew saying the word 'architect' but instead of the 'k' sound he was saying 'ch' . . . his wife tried to correct him mid-sermon and he responded by saying, '*wife's name*, I looked it up before church it is pronounced arch-ee-teck' Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Every heard someone goof a pronunciation? If not, just lie. Tongue

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2013, 11:43 PM
RE: Pronunciation Mix-ups
There was this guy in high school who thought he knew everything just because he skipped a few grades. He was a computer nerd, like me, and would give me Stuffit archives filled with stuff. The only thing that drove me crazy was that he pronounced archive as ar•chive rather than ar•kive. I tired to correct him once, but brushed me off and kept saying it his own way. I really hope that he's learned how to properly pronounce the word, by now.

[Image: MyUserBar2.gif]
Find all posts by this user
07-24-2013, 12:10 AM
I know a guy who pronounces words that have 'ss' like a z. So obsessed sounds like obzezzed. ugh. super annoying!!

And a lot of southern ppl when they say doughnut it sounds like daw-nut. lol. gets on my nerves.

my papa puts 'er' on the end of words that end with 'a'. like Alabama is Alabam-er.

RC IS THE SICKNESS THAT MAKES MY MIND GO ROUND-BUNNY
07-24-2013, 12:29 AM
(07-24-2013 12:10 AM)Bunny Wrote:  my papa puts 'er' on the end of words that end with 'a'. like Alabama is Alabam-er.

Yep. And my Papaw calls Sarah and Mary, 'Say-rah' and 'May-ree' XD

07-24-2013, 01:02 AM
(07-24-2013 12:29 AM)Wildcard Wrote:  
(07-24-2013 12:10 AM)Bunny Wrote:  my papa puts 'er' on the end of words that end with 'a'. like Alabama is Alabam-er.

Yep. And my Papaw calls Sarah and Mary, 'Say-rah' and 'May-ree' XD

Oh well, lo que Sarah, Sarah.

07-24-2013, 01:59 AM
(07-23-2013 11:25 PM)Wildcard Wrote:  Have you ever heard a person confidently mispronouncing a word?

I have done that often, throughout my adult life.
It is one of the downfalls of English not being my native tongue.
And yes, people do make fun of me over it.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
07-24-2013, 02:11 AM
To be honest I hadn't considered people for whom English is a second language as I don't find making fun of that appealing generally-- however my Spanish-speaking buddies love it when I say the wrong word or they deliberately misinform me on translations for the lulz of hearing me say 'Me encanta pollas.' (or however you spell it) thinking I was saying I love titties Dodgy

07-24-2013, 04:16 AM
I still pronounce 'grand prix' as grand pricks, because I think the 'x' is just pretentious, and I get a buzz winding grammar/pronounciation nazis up who delight in telling me I'm saying it wrong. Tongue

"everyone wants to win but no one wants to drink a bucket of sj's piss" - bob5695
07-24-2013, 05:28 AM
I pronounce words wrong all the time, my grammar sucks big time, and I would be lost without spell-check, but I couldn't care less.
I'm not a bit concerned about stuff like that ... now slight someone and you've got my attention.
A person's integrity is more important than their smarts.

You Give To The World When You Give Your Best To Somebody Else Hug
07-24-2013, 05:53 AM
(07-24-2013 02:11 AM)Wildcard Wrote:  To be honest I hadn't considered people for whom English is a second language as I don't find making fun of that appealing generally-- however my Spanish-speaking buddies love it when I say the wrong word or they deliberately misinform me on translations for the lulz of hearing me say 'Me encanta pollas.' (or however you spell it) thinking I was saying I love titties Dodgy

If you actually want to say I love titties in Spanish, it would be Me encanta chichis. That's why whenever I see a Chi-Chi's restaurant, I have to laugh.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)