Current time: 08-22-2017, 02:10 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with my flash drive
05-13-2013, 06:02 PM
Problem with my flash drive
I recently experienced a problem with my flash drive and I'd like to tell you all about it in order to see if any of you have had a similar experience or if you may have an idea as to what went wrong.

About 3 months ago I bought a new Lexar 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive and it worked fine for the past 3 months and I used it about every other day to transfer some video files from one of my PCs to the other one.

About a week ago, I think that I pulled it out of a USB port while it was in the middle of writing some data to that drive. I have done that several times before without any problem. But this time I had big problems.

First of all, my Windows Explorer util would suddenly no longer recognize the drive and I would have to unplug it and then replug a few times before it would recognize it again. But that was not the biggest problem.

It would show me some weird symbols in the place of existing files and then tell me the drive needed to be re-formatted before it would work again. OK. So I reformatted it and copied all the files that I store on it back onto that drive again. But every couple of days that problem keeps re-occurring.

I guess I'm ready to buy a new one because I just can't think of anything else that I can do to reset a flash drive besides re-formatting it.

I don't know what to do with this drive except to throw it out and buy a new one.

But would any of you have an explanation or a suggestion for me?

Thank you for listening.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2013, 06:38 PM
RE: Problem with my flash drive
First of all I should resist but I have to ask why do you snatch the flash drive out while it is transferring? If you continue to treat your equipment this way then you will continue to have hardware issues.

But, there may be hope yet. Find a strong magnet (not like a refrigerator magnet, more like the magnets that are behind speaker coils) and lay the USB stick on top of the magnet for about a minute. This will either completely erase all the data or destroy it or (if it is already destroyed) do nothing, but it may help 'reset' things.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-13-2013, 06:56 PM
a magnet will only have an effect if it uses magnetic storage.

from what ali is describing, the data is being corrupted after being written... in which case, i recommend writing and over writing it totally a few times.... or just reformat it.

it sounds like a boot sector issue... but you can use windows to do a 'error check' on removable drives and that will probably point out what the issue is.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
05-13-2013, 07:13 PM
Wildcard,

It was purely accidental that I removed it while it was in the middle of writing data to the Flash drive.

I assure you I would never do that intentionally.

Sporkium,

Thanks very much for that great idea. I will try to look around and see if I have such a magnet. I don't think I do, but I have some large stereo speakers that I don't use anymore and I will open them up and see if I can find a magnet I can use.
05-13-2013, 07:17 PM
no... you missed my point. i seriously doubt that a magnet will have any effect as flash drives don't store information magnetically.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
05-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Oops. Sorry. My mistake.

I will run that error check to start.

I assume you mean to run the "Chkdsk" util under the Command Processor?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [SolvedHelp with a problem re TPB AliShibaz 5 2,005 05-10-2013 08:15 PM
Last Post: srijantje
  Help with problem re Toolb and Ebay AliShibaz 6 2,145 03-06-2013 12:39 AM
Last Post: AliShibaz
  Ripping Problem 2010kaiser 37 5,834 06-03-2012 01:14 AM
Last Post: snilloc

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)