Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

Police Swat Team shoots and kills a 107 year old man
http://www.thv11.com/news/article/278849...-with-SWAT

Even if you consider both sides to this story, it's pretty hard to tell who was right and who was wrong. It's very hard to tell whether the police were right to shoot him or not.

The most interesting part of this story is when it said the police threw a "distraction device" into the room.

I'm curious as to just what that means. Is it something called a "flash bang"? I've heard of that before. Would anyone guess whether that is at all harmful to the victim?

I mean have you ever heard that police shot someone with a "rubber bullet"? That sounds pretty harmless doesn't it? But as it turns out, it's a bullet that is the size of a soup can and it's not soft rubber. It's like the hardest plastic you have ever encountered. It's kind of like a solid slug made of oak. Very hard material. It's almost the same as shooting a soup can at someone.

I once read that some police person said that when he shot people with so-called "rubber bullets", he always aimed at their heads because since it wasn't a real bullet that was the best way to stop these people.

I also read that some kids in Vancouver were out after their sports team won or lost a big game and some cop shot one of the kids in the head.

The result was permanent brain damage. It was as if his IQ was instantly lowered from about 120 to 60. Now he thinks and talks just as if he was developmentally retarded. He can't learn anything at school. Basically his life has turned to shit.

So I'm just wondering about this "distraction device". Is it likely harmless like it sounds? Someone names these things and makes them sound pretty harmless. But that rubber bullet sure isn't harmless.

And I have to wonder about this "distraction device".

I mean, OK, it was wrong for this kid to be out rioting in the street. But even if he was arrested and sent to jail, I'm guessing the most he would get is like 6 months in jail. He was just a young kid in high school. But what he got was like a life sentence. His life was instantly reduced to a pile of shit and surely that is not anywhere close to being similar to going to prison for 6 months. Is it?
According to policeone, distraction devices "are designed to create a pause in combat emitting heat, light and sound. Distraction devices or “Flash Bangs,” have been a proven tool within the non lethal weapons tool box. They have evolved from the earlier models over time and now offer a powerful punch that creates pauses in combat giving the officer the tactical advantage."

'pauses in combat'? Dafuq?

Regardless of his age, if you're going to point a gun at the cops and shoot at them through your door, they're not going to just walk away because they have other members of the public to consider. However, the 107 year-old could quite easily have been senile or ill, but I don't think waiting it out (for him to fall asleep) would have been an option when shots are being fired.

Non-lethal weapons are nasty ass tools used against members of the public. This wiki link provides a basic introduction to NLWs.
"everyone wants to win but no one wants to drink a bucket of sj's piss" - bob5695
American cops like to shoot first, and ask questions later.
The age of the person they gun down is not relevant to them.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
That was a very interesting site that Spud posted.

I found some other sites that explains about "Rubber Bullets". Wow! Take a look at some of those things. They sure do not look "non-lethal". The look lethal as Hell!

Here is an interesting excerpt from one of them:

"It wasn't widely successful due to its inaccuracy and tendency to ricochet -- and was also misused by troops. It had been designed to be skip-fired at the ground at long range to bounce up into protesters legs, but was instead directly fired at shorter ranges -- causing numerous severe injuries and several deaths."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_bullet

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011...er-bullets

Rubber Bullets? Holy Fucking Hell!

I couldn't believe some of those weapons that I hadn't heard of before - such as SKUNK gas that stinks so bad people just flee the area cuz they can't stand it. That is no joke. Or "sticky paste". I didn't even read about it cuz you can just guess what it does. I didn't want to read about it beause I didn't want to have the image in my mind.

I can think of some other comical kinds of weapons but I dare not post any because some pro-police person is bound to take it seriously and arrange to actually develop such a weapon. It amazes me that some of the craziest ideas actually get developed and become realities. But it is so bizarre that usually happens when the idea is intended to suppress the general population. Fucking amazing!

Whatever you do in life, try not to avoid getting into any situations where "rubber bullets" are being fired at a crowd. At least, try to avoid becoming one of the crowd.
as far as I'm concerned, it sounds like they attempted to negotiate and use nonlethal force. should multiple officers have been killed to take a107 year old man alive?

No logic in it.
Fistfull of xanax
(09-09-2013, 09:26 AM)AliShibaz Wrote: I also read that some kids in Vancouver were out after their sports team won or lost a big game and some cop shot one of the kids in the head.

(09-09-2013, 11:17 AM)velvetfog Wrote: American cops like to shoot first, and ask questions later.
The age of the person they gun down is not relevant to them.

apparently the same can be said for canadians... although they obviously prefer shooting children... in the head. oh glorious canada!

as far as the op goes... for once, i'll side with the cops. they seem to have followed protocol.
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
(09-09-2013, 11:17 AM)velvetfog Wrote: American cops like to shoot first, and ask questions later.

I don't give a fuck if you are 130 years old-- if you are shooting at me, I will shoot back-- and shoot to fucking kill.

You are so quick to say 'America blah blah' . . . have you ever even been here? Cops are like everyone else, some good; some bad. ANY cop ANYWHERE will put your ass in the grave if you scare him/her.
I seem to keep seeing stories about Canadian cops killing retarded boys on streetcars or buses. I'm sure I've seen at least two of them in the past year or so. But I think there have been even more than that.

Canadian cops are not any better than US cops - at least not that I can see.
The weekend confrontation raised a flurry of questions Monday as residents struggled to make sense of how someone known as a pleasant, churchgoing man who was hard of hearing and sometimes carried a cane had died in an explosive confrontation.
Did authorities know how old he was? Did they follow proper procedure? Could they have done anything differently?

Read this:

Questions persist about standoff death of man, 107
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
(09-09-2013, 07:51 PM)velvetfog Wrote: Read this:

Questions persist about standoff death of man, 107

velvetfogs link Wrote:"Ms. Barlow stated his granddaughter finally got him to open the door and she went around to speak with Mr. Isadore, at that time she stated Mr. Isadore raised his arm and pointed a gun at her and stated 'You better stop breaking in to my house,'" the report said.

After police moved Barlow and the granddaughter across the street, Isadore fired at a door moments after police tried to contact him. A SWAT team, called out when negotiations failed, maneuvered a camera into the house to see how Isadore was armed, then stormed inside entered using a dynamic entry tactic after deploying gas and a distraction device, the report said. When Isadore fired, the entry team fired back.

so, the way i see it, a 107 year old man, who may have been suffering from dementia, pointed a gun at his granddaughter, then fired at police officers.

i don't see why this is even raising any questions.
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Austria won this year's Eurovision contest velvetfog 14 5,755 05-14-2014, 11:24 PM
Last Post: srijantje
  Hug triggers officer's gun, kills woman. Lawliet 15 3,955 04-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Last Post: velvetfog
  Another 6 year old girl raped in India. Lawliet 0 770 08-18-2013, 12:37 AM
Last Post: Lawliet