Current time: 04-24-2017, 07:51 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Plans for asteroid mining emerge
04-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Plans for asteroid mining emerge
Quote:entrepreneurs to mine asteroids for their resources.

The multi-million-dollar plan would use robotic spacecraft to squeeze chemical components of fuel and minerals such as platinum and gold out of the rocks.

The founders include film director and explorer James Cameron as well as Google's chief executive Larry Page and its executive chairman Eric Schmidt.

They even aim to create a fuel depot in space by 2020.

However, several scientists have responded with scepticism, calling the plan daring, difficult and highly expensive.

They struggle to see how it could be cost-effective, even with platinum and gold worth nearly £35 per gram ($1,600 an ounce). An upcoming Nasa mission to return just 60g (two ounces) of material from an asteroid to Earth will cost about $1bn.

The inaugural step, to be achieved in the next 18 to 24 months, would be launching the first in a series of private telescopes that would search for asteroid targets rich in resources. The intention will be to open deep-space exploration to private industry.
James Cameron Backers of the venture include James Cameron who recently dived to the deepest place on Earth

Within five to 10 years, however, the company expects to progress from selling observation platforms in orbit around Earth to prospecting services. It plans to tap some of the thousands of asteroids that pass relatively close to Earth and extract their raw materials.

The company, known as Planetary Resources, is also backed by space tourism pioneer Eric Anderson, X-Prize founder Peter Diamandis, Ross Perot Jr, son of the former US presidential candidate, and veteran astronaut Tom Jones.

The founders of the venture are to give further details in a press conference on Tuesday.

Sum' Sauce

My Torrents Are HERE And HERE Big GrinYay
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-2012, 06:32 PM
RE: Plans for asteroid mining emerge
i would add that this can cause some unforeseeable issues... such as mining accidents... where large chunks of rock fall to earth.

space drones are nothing new. the airforce operates an unknown number of them that have an incredibly long loitering time... have large payload capacities and have the ability to be armed and destroy other space-borne infrastructure.

we all saw how easy it was for iran to hijack one of our stealth drones... how will a private corporation be able to keep an enemy state from hijacking a formidable new weapon of mass destruction?

in addition, i guess i just don't like the idea of private corporations heading out into space because i don't feel they can be trusted. the space equivalent of a 'gulf spill' could be very bad.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
Find all posts by this user
04-24-2012, 06:36 PM
IMO it's just some sort of publicity stunt. It's not economically viable at the moment. But saying that, it will probably happen at some stage when the technology is more affordable.

04-24-2012, 06:39 PM
If there is oil within reach we will deplinish it I time just like we have gutted every other natural resource. Like Kaiser said, it isn't feasible yet.

Wildcard is awesome.
04-24-2012, 06:43 PM
I sense.."Unobtanium"
Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

[Image: fdhgsdssff.jpg]
May My Light guides you
04-24-2012, 06:52 PM
well, the key here is gold, platinum, copper and other valuable resources... if they can find a big enough source, it might be very profitable, but i wonder what that would do to the value of gold and platinum. right now, we kind of have a fixed amount (including whats in the ground)... but imagine what just waiting out there for us.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
04-24-2012, 06:55 PM
(04-24-2012 06:43 PM)lightbulb Wrote:  Avatar Pandora?
I sense.."Unobtanium"
Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

[Image: smiley-laughing025.gif]

04-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Off Topic This is not the pit.

Wildcard is awesome.
04-24-2012, 10:29 PM
No seriously,
some place in some distance Asteroids, the Unobtanium matters maybe exist
lighter than lithium but sturdier than Titanium.
can be mend, forge, bent and shaped like clays...and can stretched it's physical forms.
that will be one valuable materials on Earth

[Image: fdhgsdssff.jpg]
May My Light guides you
04-24-2012, 11:02 PM
it will do nothing for the price,just deal it out piecemeal and the price will stay high,just with everything that's being sold[think of diamonds for example]

consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)