Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

Pakistani Hashish Festival Captives Freed
Most Pakistani villagers abducted from 'hashish festival' freed

By Jibran Ahmad

PESHAWAR, Pakistan Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:43pm EDT
0 Comments

(Reuters) - Gunmen on Sunday freed most of the Pakistani villagers they had kidnapped from a hashish festival in the remote mountainous northwest, a government official said.

The gunmen, suspected to be Taliban, raided the festival on Saturday and seized around 100 men. Around 40 were released that day, and most of the rest on Sunday, the official said.

The official asked for anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media and negotiations for the remaining captives' release were continuing.

Seven men were still believed to be held. The raid took place on the border between Khyber and Orakzai, two tribal regions in northwest Pakistan that border Afghanistan.

Initial reports suggested the men may have been seized because they supported the government against the Taliban.

But local media reported that the men had been attending a hashish festival, which local channels described as a gathering where men came together to smoke and sell large quantities of hashish. Large quantities of the drug were also seized, local television reported.

The Taliban insurgents have been fighting to overthrow the government and impose a strict form of Islamic law on Pakistan, a nuclear-armed nation of 180 million people.

They are officially against the drug trade, although many commanders are known to tax and smuggle narcotics such as hashish and opium.
consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
So will the Taliban destroy the hash that they seized, or will they sell it to buy more guns and ammo?
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
If they are truly crazy with this...strict form of Islamic law... then they would destroy it. if they were smart they'd try to sell, but then they'd be hippocrates and full off shit...
they're hypocrites and full of shit,other than that,there is no"THE Taliban"
of small minds[
The 'Taliban' as the west calls it is not an actual organized group of people as they seem to think. They are disparate groups that sometimes share a common goal. The 'Taliban' as the west knows it has been funded by thuggishness 'mafia' type tactics utilizing (with a z) foreign aid, and by the profit from poppies used in the production of opium and heroin among other things.

To claim that they are against drugs is ridiculous. They may be morally, but realistically, that is where a large portion of thier funds come from. If the west, specifically the U.S., legalized drugs, much if not all of the threat from them would cease.
that those with no rights,
display the right to have no life, to have respect they must accept
a world commiting suicide
i doubt that the threat would cease due to the legalization of drugs.

the taliban might consist of disparate groupings of individuals, but they all hold nearly identical fundamental views and that makes them dangerous especially if there is a presence in a country like pakistan which controls nuclear armaments and is known to fund and host and provide aid to terrorist(s). the fact that the taliban is generally under the control of people in educational and religious positions just makes them even more dangerous as instead of just controlling hordes of uneducated meat drones, they also have influence over young college aged students who are prone to rebellious behavior, irrational logic and throwing large organized public tantrums. to allow any nuclear capable country to come under the control of fanatical religious sects would be a serious threat to global security and can never be allowed to exist.

incidents like the the hashish festival kidnapping are an early indication that the pakistan's social stability is already compromised and when you take into account other acts of terrorism that have occurred in and, or originated from pakistan - or even acknowledge the governmental ties that pakistan has to terrorist groups - you can start assuming that the unstable elements have deeper ties to the country and it's nuclear arsenal than any rational person could ever feel comfortable with.
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
Pakistan has always been an unstable" country",letting them lay there hands on nuclear weapons is much worse than Iran for example.
when you start meddling with people like that you can expect a backlash,leave them to their own devices and work things out themselves,although it's too late for that now

for example ,the afghanis were doing mostly o.k.before 1979,it first became a real mess after serious foreign intervention.
of small minds[
major difference: iran doesn't have nuclear weapons... yet...

you really have to define meddling because this is where foreign policy and foreign aid come into play. is providing money for the development of their country viewed as meddling as developed countries are less likely to be taken over by fanatical religious zealots.

on the other hand... pakistan never had it's own devices as it didn't exist until the british decided to divide india. genetically speaking... pakistan is not like the other muslim nations. the people pakistan and india are the same people only divided by religion with the same being said for bangladesh and maybe the tamil of sri lanka. but, i fear that's more of philosophical debate that has no clear answer in sight.

the only surety is that a nuclear arsenal can never fall under the control of religious fanatics and the best way to prevent that is to ensure that pakistan separates church from state.
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
helping people where help is needed is a noble thing,however.......

seperating church from state,impossible,look at India and its elections at the moment

anyway,nuclear arms have already fallen in the hands of religious fanatics,see Israel
of small minds[
that kind of help is not noble. it's a way to ensure compliance.

as for india, that's a whole other problem... and it's all ghandi's fault.