Current time: 06-26-2017, 02:03 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
PETA at it again
02-09-2012, 11:14 AM
PETA at it again
[Image: 1-124.jpg]

A national animal rights group has offered Hamburg, New York, officials $15,000 to change the town's name to Veggieburg.

"The town's name conjures up visions of unhealthy patties of ground-up dead cows," said Joe Haptas, spokesman of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), in a letter faxed Monday to Hamburg Supervisor Patrick Hoak.

PETA offered to supply area schools with $15,000 worth of non-meat patties for the name change.

"Our offer is serious as a heart attack," Haptas said.

Hoak immediately declined.

"With all due respect, I think it's a delicacy in our community," he said about hamburgers. "We're proud of our name and proud of our heritage."

The Buffalo suburb, named Hamburg since 1812, claims to be the birth place of the American culinary staple. Hamburg commemorates the birth of hamburgers at the annual Burgerfest.

In 1996, PETA proposed that the Hudson Valley town of Fishkill change its centuries-old name to Fishsave, since the group believed the name conjured up violent imagery of dead fish.

The town was named by Dutch settlers in the early 1600s. "Kill" is the Dutch word for "stream."

Source

Wildcard is awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2012, 06:25 PM
RE: PETA at it again
PETA must feel it's been too long since people have taken them seriously (Hysterical ). In the last couple of weeks I've heard they want to stop Seaworld (here on the Gold Coast, I'm sure they want it to happen in the US as well) from selling seafood, because it's like "selling poodle burgers at a dog show". Exactly like that, of course.

And just yesterday, at http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012...news.html:

Quote:GOLD Coast marine theme park Sea World could be next on animal activists' hit-list if a US court battle to have whales protected under human anti-slavery laws succeeds.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is trying have the Thirteenth Amendment of the US Constitution, which prohibits human slavery, applied to whales at two theme parks.

A San Diego court will rule on whether five orcas are held in slavery or involuntary servitude at two Sea World parks in Florida and California.

The whales, named Tilikum, Katina, Corky, Kasatka and Ulises, perform water acrobatics at Sea World's San Diego and Orlando parks.

PETA Australia campaign manager Ashley Fruno says the Gold Coast's Sea World does not have whales in captivity, but does have dolphins and other animals `imprisoned' and suffering `the same deprivation as San Diego's orcas'.

Ms Fruno says animals in aquariums are denied a natural existence.

"Every aspect of their lives is controlled and managed for the entertainment of humans," she said.

"So yes, we think that is akin to slavery."

PETA Australia's director of campaigns Jason Baker says it's possible the Gold Coast Sea World and any other amusement parks could be next on their hit list.

"We're always looking at the best avenues to help animals and if that involves filing a case on their behalf, then it's something we'd look at," Mr Baker said.

"But for now it's one case at a time."

The Gold Coast's Sea World declined to comment.

The case follows PETA's calls for Sea World to stop serving seafood at their aquarium, claiming it's like `serving poodle burgers at a dog show'.

RSPCA spokesman Michael Beattie defended Sea World on the Gold Coast as playing a significant role in rescuing and rehabilitating wild animals.

He believes it's a very different park to those in the US.

"The animals, from what I can see, are not forced to exhibit unnatural behaviours that they would not do in the wild," Mr Beattie said.

"For example, having an elephant stand on its head compared to having a whale jump in the air and splash the water are totally different.

"It's unnatural for an elephant to stand on its head while it is natural for a whale to jump and splash."

HUMAN slavery laws! How fucking insulting to victims of slavery, that these privileged arseholes are comparing them to performing whales. And what's next? Banning farmers from using sheep dogs?

No fucking censorship. Ever.
02-09-2012, 08:01 PM
The idiocracy never ends with these people. Rolleyes

Wildcard is awesome.
02-09-2012, 08:50 PM
they're idiots alright

but to have wild animals converted to perform shows for people to watch is a disgrace in my eyes

consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
02-09-2012, 09:01 PM
To be honest, I'm not a fan either. I don't like their "it's for educational purposes" rationale; it's not, it's for obscene profits. However, to liken it to slavery is abominable.

It's not natural behaviour for cats to shit in litter boxes either, so let's get onto that while we're at it. And dogs don't walk on leashes in the wild.

No fucking censorship. Ever.
02-09-2012, 09:27 PM
to call it slavery is laughable,cats and dogs are "domesticated" animals,too late for them al ready

educational purposes is a scam,much better to watch national geographic then.

of small minds[
02-10-2012, 12:02 AM
I'll admit that it is selfish to hold flipper in the aquarium against his will and train him/her to do flips, but it also harmless for the animal. They receive the best of care, ample food and get a lot of love from the staff and the fans that come to cheer for their antics.

Just sayin' . . .

Wildcard is awesome.
02-10-2012, 12:46 AM
yes and they won't get hunted and killed by korean drag nets,but still,better yahooing it up in the wild than playing flipper for a crowd of sqreaming children

of small minds[
02-10-2012, 12:51 AM
I think you are thinking of it as if you were a dolphin- of course it would suck, but a dolphin probably enjoys the attention. I know they are not the only creatures in captivity though . . .

Wildcard is awesome.
02-10-2012, 01:08 PM
I love hamburgers

Fistfull of xanax

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)