Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the Topic of Opinions
As I said in one of my past posts, I joined this wonderful little community because all of my friends strongly dislike my argumentative nature. I have in a way sough asylum and acceptance within this community and so far mission accomplished. My main gripe today is why are people so opposed to differing opinions? Why do people have an innate tendency to believe in eternal truths? I am not saying that I accept every single opinion with open arms. That is far from true. However, I do not get hostile like my friends and peers seem to when I catch wind of a differing opinion. I make my judgement on said opinion and then either bash or support it. Like my previous post regarding YouTube. I shared my thoughts with my friends and they proceeded to serenade me with their brilliant ruminations on the topic. Needless to say, the words faggot idiot and cute appeared too often. I did indeed consider the differing opinion and as I said I decided to bash it based on my judgement. Aren't all things supposed to be investigated and debated so as to avoid scientific and social stagnation? Maybe my friends could have the same perspective on this issue as me. I am certainly not saying I am right. My main question is why do people disapprove of differing opinions and jump to conclusions without making their judgement on it? Be that judgement be empirical or opinionated I do not care. They seem to make snap judgements. I do hope some insight can be provided on this topic by this so far awesome community. And please have a nice day or night depending on what hemisphere of the Earth you live in!
(03-10-2015, 10:53 PM)vogon1999 Wrote: As I said in one of my past posts, I joined this wonderful little community because all of my friends strongly dislike my argumentative nature.

what makes you think we'll like your argumentative nature anymore than your friends?
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
.......because we have argumentative natures?
consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
(03-10-2015, 10:53 PM)vogon1999 Wrote: My main gripe today is why are people so opposed to differing opinions?

It is just human nature. There is no getting around it. There is only getting over it.

People have an opinion to begin with because they believe that what they are saying is correct. People believe because they have reason to believe.

When someone is convinced that their opinion is wrong, the convincing party must impress upon the convincee that they have always been wrong. This isn't so easy to do.

But why not just live and let live? Thankfully, some people are able to do that most of the time. People keep their comments to themselves in a lot of situations, if they are wise. Others can't seem to let it go. Then if someone says some universally fucked up shit, everyone has to tell them that they are wrong.

Again, it is just human nature.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Request Seeking your opinions about IsoHunt AliShibaz 9 5,725 05-15-2013, 12:24 AM
Last Post: RobertX