Current time: 08-18-2017, 03:16 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Report Cards
05-23-2014, 10:53 AM
Old Report Cards
My mom brought out my grammar school report cards the other day. She keeps the oddest things but somehow she seemed to just know back then that this stuff would be cool to look at now.

I started in Kindergarten looking at the grades and I was pleased in some cases but shocked in others.

For example, I was tickled at my U (unsatisfactory) grade in conduct and not one bit surprised Tongue But as I went through my grade reports, I noticed that I consistently scored low on 'handwriting'-- what is odd to me about that is that I have been told many times that I have 'beautiful handwriting' by people who have received reports or other handwritten correspondence from me.

Hehe, so now I wonder why those peeps lied to flatter me or if I just got better Big Grin

The comments were also a bit of a jar. Consistently I received comments like '. . . is very smart but doesn't pay attention in class.', '. . . could be my best student but doesn't turn in his homework assignments.', '. . . fidgets in class.', '. . . is more interested in amusing his peers than learning what I teach.', '. . . started a rant forum on my Macintosh and got it to #1 on Google.' Big Grin Okay the last one is bull shit. The Finger

But the point is that those comments indicate that I may have been ADHD as a child/now. Had I only know I could have sued the shit out of them XD

But in the end, I was pleased with what I read. It was like going back in time to review my maturation from a few teachers' perspectives.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-23-2014, 11:47 AM
RE: Old Report Cards
I love looking at old historical records like that to gauge progress, and to remember the history. That's what I also like reading old threads to get a glimpse of what it was like back then...

All that shit for me is gone...But I remember my 1st semester of 6th grade getting 3 F's & the rest D's. and the last sememter getting 2 A's and the rest B's... I had a problem focusing back then...
Find all posts by this user
05-24-2014, 05:34 AM
(05-23-2014 10:53 AM)Wildcard Wrote:  My mom brought out my grammar school report cards the other day. She keeps the oddest things but somehow she seemed to just know back then that this stuff would be cool to look at now.

I started in Kindergarten looking at the grades and I was pleased in some cases but shocked in others.

For example, I was tickled at my U (unsatisfactory) grade in conduct and not one bit surprised Tongue But as I went through my grade reports, I noticed that I consistently scored low on 'handwriting'-- what is odd to me about that is that I have been told many times that I have 'beautiful handwriting' by people who have received reports or other handwritten correspondence from me.

Hehe, so now I wonder why those peeps lied to flatter me or if I just got better Big Grin

The comments were also a bit of a jar. Consistently I received comments like '. . . is very smart but doesn't pay attention in class.', '. . . could be my best student but doesn't turn in his homework assignments.', '. . . fidgets in class.', '. . . is more interested in amusing his peers than learning what I teach.', '. . . started a rant forum on my Macintosh and got it to #1 on Google.' Big Grin Okay the last one is bull shit. The Finger

But the point is that those comments indicate that I may have been ADHD as a child/now. Had I only know I could have sued the shit out of them XD

But in the end, I was pleased with what I read. It was like going back in time to review my maturation from a few teachers' perspectives.
I don't have any report cards but this narrative opened a floodgate of memories,are you my reincarnation?LMAOThe Finger

consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
05-24-2014, 08:45 AM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2014 10:06 AM by radiobox.)
Nice post. I can't trace my report cards, but except for 'lacking leadership qualities' they were mostly kind.
But I do remember once in class 10 when I scored 95 in math and was the sole guy to be punished (whacked on the palm with a cane), bcos I failed to to the make the perfect score. All those who failed or got average scores got away. I badly wanted to grab the cane and whack my teacher back, bcos it stung so badly. Crazy days, but unforgettable.

I was trying to find this book yesterday. I think the opening lines (please see amazon preview) might strike a chord.

The Beer Drinker's Guide to God: The Whole and Holy Truth About Lager, Loving, and Living,
by William B. Miller
http://www.amazon.com/The-Beer-Drinkers-...1476738645

Edit:I couldn't find the book(s). I've raised a request on SB. Fingers crossed.
https://forum.suprbay.org/Thread-William...3-books-pl

Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden Nash
05-24-2014, 08:56 AM
(05-23-2014 10:53 AM)Wildcard Wrote:  Consistently I received comments like '. . . is very smart but doesn't pay attention in class.', '. . . could be my best student but doesn't turn in his homework assignments.', '. . . fidgets in class.', '. . . is more interested in amusing his peers than learning what I teach.'

That reminds me of the grade school report card remarks that I received from my teachers. Smile
They were of the type "daydreams in class" and "could do better if he applied himself".

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
05-24-2014, 09:11 AM
(05-24-2014 05:34 AM)srijantje Wrote:  I don't have any report cards but this narrative opened a floodgate of memories,are you my reincarnation?LMAOThe Finger

A shagger from another herd? Big Grin

(05-24-2014 08:45 AM)radiobox Wrote:  I was trying to find this book yesterday. I think the opening lines (please see amazon preview) might strike a chord.

The Beer Drinker's Guide to God: The Whole and Holy Truth About Lager, Loving, and Living,
by William B. Miller
http://www.amazon.com/The-Beer-Drinkers-...1476738645

Torrent link or gtfo Tongue

(05-24-2014 08:56 AM)velvetfog Wrote:  That reminds me of the grade school report card remarks that I received from my teachers. Smile
They were of the type "daydreams in class" and "could do better if he applied himself".

Hmmm . . . could it be that what they were teaching just didn't inspire us? Or are we just too self-centered . . . #deepThoughts

05-24-2014, 09:16 AM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2014 09:16 AM by radiobox.)
Torrent, Ass soon ass I can get my hands on it q : p
(That notation means am wagging my tongue !!)

Here is something to read meanwhile.
http://kickass.to/beer-is-proof-god-love...03656.html

You know, you should go back to some of your teachers and ask them what they think now. Get back to us will you :-)

Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden Nash
05-24-2014, 09:49 AM
it sounds like we all had the same clone teachers

consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
05-24-2014, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2014 10:24 AM by radiobox.)
I think if we asked them teachers they'd proly say, "I had to find some fault in them, else it would have looked like I was not doing my job!" We rocked as kids. :-)

Edit: Later in life, "performance appraisals" at work only found more fault in me. They would say good things mostly bcos they didn't want you to quit the company, but there was always 1 negative comment. Same reasoning as above I feel. And I found myself doing the same years later Tongue

05-24-2014, 10:15 AM
(05-24-2014 09:49 AM)srijantje Wrote:  it sounds like we all had the same clone teachers

The scene from Pink Floyd's The Wall where school children are ground up into mincemeat and then pressed into cookie-cutter copies comes to mind.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)