• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread
  • Thread Rating:
    • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Obese drivers more likely to die in car crashes
    Obese drivers more likely to die in car crashes

Obese drivers are more likely to die in car crashes than other motorists, scientists have found.

[Image: nk96.jpg]
    Scientists now believe car design may have to change to protect overweight drivers

22nd January, 2013

Research shows fat people are propelled further forward during a collision because of their additional soft tissue which prevents a seat belt from tightening immediately against the pelvis.

Scientists now believe car design may have to change to protect overweight drivers.

Analysis of US collision data found those who were most overweight - in the World Health Organisation obesity category III - were 80% more likely to die in an accident than drivers of a healthy weight.

Those in category II were 51% more likely to be killed in a crash, while the risk was even lower for those in category I, at 21%.

When broken down by gender, obese women were found to be at greater risk than men. Those in obesity category III were almost twice as likely to die on the road than their male counterparts, the scientists said.

Their analysis of more than 3,403 pairs of drivers also showed underweight men were more likely to die in a collision than motorists of a healthy weight.

The authors said: ''Findings from this study suggest that obese vehicle drivers are more likely to die from traffic collision-related injuries than non-obese occupants involved in the same collision.

''Education is needed to improve seat belt use among obese people.'' They added: ''The ability of passenger vehicles to protect overweight or obese occupants may have increasingly important public health implications, given the continuing obesity epidemic in the USA.

''It may be the case that passenger vehicles are well designed to protect normal weight vehicle occupants but are deficient in protecting overweight or obese occupants.''

Offering a possible explanation for their findings, they referred to collision research which showed how the bodies of fat drivers were flung further forwards during a car crash than those of other motorists.

They said: ''Obese cadavers had significantly more forward movement away from the vehicle seat before the seat belt engaged the pelvis owing to additional soft tissue that prevents the belt from fitting close to the pelvis when the cadavers were in the driving position.

''The additional forward motion by cadavers was seen for the abdomen and lower extremities.''

But they said obese drivers may be more likely to have underlying health problems which could put them at higher risk in a road accident.

The authors, from the University of California and the University of West Virginia, published their findings in the Emergency Medicine Journal.

source

Maybe instead of spending all that money to provide adaptations for someone's lifestyle choices, obese people could get out of their cars and walk? If a person's bodyweight is an issue when it comes to driving, the fatties themselves should contribute to the cost, if not, fuck 'em. It's the same with public transport - if you're too fat to fit through 2 bus doors, then you shouldn't be allowed on the bus in the first place.
    Maybe design seat belt extenders for vehicles like they have for airplanes?

[Image: MyUserBar2.gif]
    I am such a dork, when I saw the word drivers.. I was thinking drivers for computer hardware and obese was another new term for bad bloated software.

they already make seat belt extenders...

let's stop dancing around the issue. if the heart attacks don't get them, physics will.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
    they are probably also harder to cut out of crashed cars,should they make the doors bigger?

consistency is the hobdob
    of small minds[
    If a 40 stone blob of lard can somehow squeeze into a car, then it can squeeze back out the same way. If manufacturers started making the doors bigger, it'll send out a message to the lardies that their ridiculous size will be catered for, plus the availability of cars for fat fucks will somehow normalise their unacceptable lifestyle choice. This pandering to the stupid has to stop at some point, for the sake of common sense.
    absolutely
    if you're grosly overweight,heart attack?fuck you

consistency is the hobdob
    of small minds[
    (01-25-2013, 12:21 PM)Spudgun17 Wrote:  ...plus the availability of cars for fat fucks will somehow normalize their unacceptable lifestyle choice...

hold up... lols... judge not, i say... judge not!

it's their life; let them live it as they see fit. fat disgusting people deserve same respect as homosexuals... don't they?

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
    I'd say homosexuality is not a lifestyle choice (I'm not talking about the rampant 'let's all be gay for a while' movement), whereas being morbidly obese most definitely is a person's choice. There's nothing wrong with judging these self-absorbed selfish little beady-eyed fuckfaces who complain that society should pander to their needs. Fuck them, they don't deserve respect, they deserve humiliation and ridicule for leeching off the goodwill and tolerance of mankind. And for breaking pavements, trains, fire and rescue equipment etc.
    i have to disagree... if you are suggesting that being fat is a life style choice, then homosexuality would be also... after all... it's just a matter of preference, right?

gay guys for example, like dick more than vaginas... while fat people on other hand, like super sizing more than jenny craigs or moderation. if the argument is made that a homosexual can't help it as it's 'who they are' then the same should apply to fat people as it is who they are.

all the same, both groups want society to pander to their needs...

Chuck Palahniuk Wrote:You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile.