Current time: 04-24-2017, 12:16 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nintendo: Irrelevant?
01-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Nintendo: Irrelevant?
[Image: _65588298_65588293.jpg]Nintendo, long thought of as a leader in the video game industry has become less and less of a player in the game. Wii U is being considered a major disappointment in sales and Nintendo's major demographic (children and pre-teens) have seemed to lose interest in their products.

In fact, almost everyone has left Nintendo's more youth-focused products behind in favor of Xbox and PS3 consoles which offer much more mature content.

Xbox's Kinect and PS3's comparable motion-sensitive technology outshine Nintendo's Wii consoles with more features (such as voice recognition and more intuitive controls).

[Image: _65411496_65411495.jpg]As Nolan Bushnell (founder of Atari) pointed out in an interview given to BBC News, nobody needs a handheld gaming system when every smart phone can potentially be used for gaming and much more.

So is Nintendo to go the way of many of its predecessors, Atari, CollecoVision, etc.?

I grew up playing Mario Brothers and was addicted to the NES when it was released, but its plain to see that Nintendo products appeal to the younger crowds-- and kids don't care as much about upgrading their games as adult gamers do.

source

Is Nintendo on the way out? Give us your opinion.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2014, 06:41 PM
RE: Nintendo: Irrelevant?
i'm under the impression they still have loyal customers in japan.
Find all posts by this user
01-23-2014, 06:51 PM
i think it's more of an issue with nintendo not advancing to their customer bases' desires and i think the problem goes back before the wii u.

look at the wii... no gta. why? nintendo wanted to protect it's family oriented image and suffered because of it. add to that, some publishers won't port a game for every console available because it wouldn't be cost effective and that sucks.

i have a sager gaming laptop running windows just so i can play any game i want to instead of having to have a wii, an xbox, 360 and one, and a ps2 and 3 and 4... i haven't even bothered with the newer systems since i can still run the pc releases of their games on my windows machine... of course all those games are pirated and will continue to be pirated until the cost of having to purchase a windows machine just for games is offset since they refuse to make the majority of games for my macbook pro retina.

even to this day, i will buy games and software for my macbook since that's the market i want to support... and i'd also buy games for a nintendo if there was a reason to support that market... but since there isn't a reason, i'll continue without a nintendo.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
01-23-2014, 07:07 PM
It looks like Nintendo is losing market share to Sony and Microsoft, both of whom have strong new gaming consoles.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
01-28-2014, 12:45 PM
Ah, this is something interesting. You see, in the present day, kids mostly play games what were meant for adults, and yes I am giving Call of Duty as an example. On the other hand, adults are the ones playing Mario and stuff like that, because that's what they grew up with. It depends on the generation.

HNNNNNNNNNNG
05-08-2014, 09:41 AM
[Image: _74688091_wiiu.jpg]

Quote:Weak sales of its games consoles have led Nintendo to report an annual loss.

The Japanese firm reported a net deficit of 23.2bn yen ($229m; £135m), a reversal of its 7.1bn yen profit the previous year.

It said lower-than-expected demand for its Wii U console and 3DS handheld had caused sales to miss its forecasts.

However, it added that it expected forthcoming games would help it to turn around its fortunes ahead of a more fundamental shift in strategy.

The company still has more than 1.3tn yen-worth of net assets on its balance sheet thanks to the stronger performance of its earlier games systems.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27308862

05-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Nintendo now appears to be suffering from a similar downward spiral to what Blackberry experienced.
Dwindling sales reduce the game developers' incentives to port their games to the platform.
With fewer games available on Nintendo, customers are more likely to chose a different gaming machine.
It is a vicious cycle that is very difficult, perhaps impossible, to escape from.

Read this:
Nintendo Misses Wii U And 3DS Sales Targets, Posts $229M Loss

- Robert A. Heinlein
05-08-2014, 09:50 AM
they should start firing their current marketing and R&D peoples
and begin to recruiting better one

[Image: fdhgsdssff.jpg]
May My Light guides you
05-08-2014, 09:56 AM
For that to be of help, they would have had to take action at least two years ago.
It is too late for such simplistic management fixes now.

- Robert A. Heinlein
05-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Nintendo would have to invest a ton of money into a game console that would blow away the competition in order to even have a chance of making a come-back and even then it might not be enough.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)