• Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread
  • Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Names that people call us
    Honey, Bro, love, gurrrl, Etc.

These are a few examples of the names we give each other.Even my birth name Christopher, has a nickname of Chris. Chris can also be a nickname for someone entirely different, like Christina. Pat is a nickname for Patricia and or Patrick, and those are considered acceptable in most if not all communities.

But what about the others? Just the other day I was in the grocery store and the nice lady cashier called me "honey"...To me?? any female giving me a compliment gives me a warming feeling to my heart. Because I love all women.

But what if I was a girl and the cashier was a guy calling me honey? Me in my human experience would say I'd react the same way as I described above. BUT others have different human experiences, would another woman think it patronizing, or worse? Or what If I didn't like to be called Honey. Some men prefer sir.

This guy I used to work with, his name was Eric, but we'd call him Beuford as a joke...he enjoyed it, don't know where it even came from. When I worked at the nursing home, I was a porter, which was under maintenance as far as rank goes. But I used to do anything and everything to make myself valuable to the company. One day my boss said "he's not in maintenance yet, but he's a junior" from then on my bosses called me junior...

Do you have any nicknames that you know of? What where your nicknames? Did the nicknames you got or gave cause a feeling of endearment or hostility, or whatever...
    Mine was DD. I remember, because my sister couldn't pronounce "Nathaniel," when she was young, so she settled for "dadadow"

I know a "Cazatron" as well. Needless to say, he's a coding nerd

"Did you really think I was the demon? The Demon of Empire City?"
    HAHHHAHHHAHAHHAHHAHA Thanks for the reply, Cole

You post jogged my memory....My brother couldn't pronounce my full name when he was little. Christopher, he pronounced as cotten-ga.. that was my nickname for years after... until my parents passed actually...
    'chris' is not a nickname. it is a short form of 'christopher'.

being called 'junior' is not a nickname in the sense that you have described. it's a way of your boss saying that he can further dehumanize and belittle you by addressing you by your position rather than your name.

randomly calling someone 'honey' just because they can't be bothered to care what your name is does not constitute a nickname either. it's simply another way of addressing you and not giving a damn about what your name is... not to be confused with a term of endearment amongst people you are close with nor should it be confused with an actual nickname.

let's say i was to call someone a 'faggot' or 'scubbag'... repeatedly: that is not a nickname. it's more of a descriptive term and, or an insult. but, if enough people call that person a faggot or scumbag with or without malice intended -- even if it is a descriptive term -- then that would constitute a nickname just because that person is known as a faggot and, or a scumbag.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
    Back in school I was 'kid'.

I think we used to have nicks for teachers. Let me try to remember. Wonderful days.

"Those were the days" indeed.

Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden Nash
    fanks sporky gonzales. voice of raisons always
    Yeah, nicknames start off being really insulting, and then they grow on you sometimes. Mostly, they sound insulting or completely random, because there's always a weird story/inside joke with them.
    (This post was last modified: 02-16-2015, 03:10 AM by ColeMacGrath.)

"Did you really think I was the demon? The Demon of Empire City?"
    (02-16-2015, 12:21 AM)sporkium Wrote:  'chris' is not a nickname. it is a short form of 'christopher'.

being called 'junior' is not a nickname in the sense that you have described. it's a way of your boss saying that he can further dehumanize and belittle you by addressing you by your position rather than your name.

randomly calling someone 'honey' just because they can't be bothered to care what your name is does not constitute a nickname either. it's simply another way of addressing you and not giving a damn about what your name is... not to be confused with a term of endearment amongst people you are close with nor should it be confused with an actual nickname.

let's say i was to call someone a 'faggot' or 'scubbag'... repeatedly: that is not a nickname. it's more of a descriptive term and, or an insult. but, if enough people call that person a faggot or scumbag with or without malice intended -- even if it is a descriptive term -- then that would constitute a nickname just because that person is known as a faggot and, or a scumbag.

***I agree Chris is a short name, not a nickname. I just threw that in to try to get people to post theirs.
    So from what you posted it appears we both agree with what a nick name is... Your description is perfect. Like a random group of friends or click call one of their own Shithead. If when one person says shithead, everyone else in the clique knows exactly who he/she is talking about...That's a nickname. I've had a lot more nicknames than just junior....especially back when I was a kid growing up...Kids can be mean...stupid bastards!!! ahhahha
    ****I've asked the admin to change the title of this thread so it can encompass everything we're talking about.
    (This post was last modified: 02-16-2015, 01:16 PM by LZA.)

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
    Last Post by geezer
    08-08-2018, 05:39 PM
    Last Post by LZA
    09-12-2015, 01:12 PM
    Last Post by RantingDiabetic
    06-15-2015, 10:37 PM