Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
<
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

My Windows Toolkit
A few years ago, I created a package of utility programs written in Delphi called a "Windows Toolkit".

To be brief, if you are familiar with the Windows utils called, "Find, More and Sort", they are tools that work in a Windows Command Processor window. There may be others but at the time I wrote them, there were only those three.

Anyway, I think that utilities like those are extremely useful because you can combine them with other utilities. For example, when you open a Windows Command Processor, you can enter a command like this:

DIR | SORT /5

This would produce a directory listing and "pipe" it into the SORT utility which would then sort that list beginning in column 5.

I know that the DIR command lets you sort by several different fields. But maybe you might like to sort it in some other way - for example in column 5.

These kind of utilities are called "Filters" because they enable you to pass data through them to some other filter. They use a concept called "piping" and the vertical bar "|" is called the "pipe" character and it has many uses. So do the "redirection" characters which are the "greater than" sign and the "less than sign".

Anyway I have written this package that has more than 100 new filters ascompared with the original version of Windows which has only three.

I would like to make this package available to all the members here at Rant Central.

It will only cost you $50 to subscribe to it.

I yam just kidding about the $50. It will actually only cost $40.

OK. OK. Squawker tells me I have to make it free. So, OK. It's free.

Fuck off back into your cage Squawker! You bitch! No treats for you tonight!

Anyway, I would just like to ask where would be the best place for me to post this please? Assuming of course, that you think it would be something people would be wiling to try.

If you would like to take a preliminary look at it first, that would be OK. I just need a few days to figure out how to package it now - because something has gone wrong with the Windows Help system - I mean the facility that lets people write Help files. I do not understand at all. But for some reason the system we used to use with XP no longer works with Windows 7. I don't know why.
if you really want to share it, you might want to try posting it on tpb or a tech forum... but i don't really see much of a use for it.
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
Youch!!!

You really know how to hurt someone's feelings!

Seriously, I appreciate your directness. And most people seem to feel the same way.

Everytime I tried to make it available, I got a big chorus of "Who Cares?"

But thanks for your time anyway.
not trying to hurt your feelings... but most windows users don't even know how to use the prompt... and the others are currently googling: 'command prompt.' you know?

anyway, try devshed.com
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
I'm sure you were not trying to hurt my feelings and I'm sure you understand I was just kidding about that.

But ... Let me tell you about a real life problem I had and that I used my Toolkit to solve and then let me ask how you would solve it using the GUI tools that come with Windows or any other GUI tools designed to do manipulations of files or file names.

The point I'm trying to make with you is that Command Processor tools are much more powerful and flexible than GUI tools and it's very handy to possess some of those tools when the need arises to perform bulk manipulations on hundreds or thousands of video files that you may have in your collection of video files.

This, of course, assumes that most of us have accumulated very large collections of audio and video files and it is commonplace for us to want to perform manipulations or changes - especially wholesale or automated changes.

This is actually my problem and I used my toolkit to solve it.

I have about 50 folders - each contains a comedy or drama TV series.

Each of those folders - on average - contain about 8 sub-folders - one for each season. So here are the names of the files in my folder for Season 5 of The Big BangTheory

S05E01 The Skank Reflex Analysis.avi
S05E02 The Infestation Hypothesis.avi
S05E03 The Pulled Groin Extrapolation.avi
S05E04 The Wiggly Finger Catalyst.avi
S05E05 The Russian Rocket Reaction.avi
S05E06 The Rhinitis Revelation.avi
S05E07 The Good Guy Fluctuation.avi
S05E08 The Isolation Permutation.avi
S05E09 The Ornithophobia Diffusion.avi
S05E10 The Flaming Spittoon Acquisition.avi
S05E11 The Speckerman Recurrence.avi
S05E12 The Shiny Trinket Maneuver.avi
S05E13 The Recombination Hypothesis.avi
S05E14 The Beta Test Initiation.avi
S05E15 The Friendship Contraction.avi
S05E16 The Vacation Solution.avi
S05E17 The Rothman Disintegration.avi
S05E18 The Werewolf Transformation.avi
S05E19 The Weekend Vortex.avi
S05E20 The Transporter Malfunction.avi
S05E21 The Hawking Excitation.avi
S05E22 The Stag Convergence.avi
S05E23 The Launch Acceleration.avi
S05E24 The Countdown Reflection.avi

Now, I discovered that about half of my file names were of the form:

S5E24 Epi Name.avi

Whereas the other half were of the form:

S05E24 Epi Name.avi

This may seem to you to be an insignificant difference. But suppose I wanted to convert all the names that started with "S5" to "S05".

In other words, suppose you wanted to make the names of all one thousand files for all these shows to be consistent - to have the names of Seasons contain a leading zero so that they all would line up when you put them in a database.

This was something that I wanted to do and in fact I did it using my Toolkit.

But let me ask you. How would you do this using the Windows Explorer or any other of the Windows supplied GUI tools?

This is one example of how my toolkit could be used to make wholesale changes to a huge collection of video files and I have no idea how it could be done using only the tools that come with Windows - except to sit there for many many hours and change each one by hand individually. A terribly time-consuming and mind-numbing process.

P.S. DevShed looks like a great place to submit my toolkit.

Thank you very much for that lead.
i would use windows explore to locate my nearest apple store and get a mac, transfer the files to the mac then use the "automator."

i'm sure that your utility is useful and all... but like i said previously... a window user using cmd is like a fat drunk chick on prom night: either way, you're gonna get fucked.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Microsoft previews Windows 8 operating system 2010kaiser 2 1,602 06-17-2012, 01:03 AM
Last Post: RobertX