Current time: 08-21-2017, 01:36 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My MyBB Questions
04-26-2012, 11:45 PM
My MyBB Questions
I am working on my own MyBB forum.
A little background.
I am still trying to decide who my target audience will be. For now, I am aiming at my close friends and family, as I live so far away from everybody I care about.
Not sure yet if there will be more members than just me and my puppet accounts. Big Grin
The forum, at the moment, is/will be designed to be shielded from the general public eye.
So far as privacy is concerned, this is where I am at:
A proxy domain.
SSL
Dedicated IP
Planned password entry.

On to the questions that I could use a little help with.

------------------------------------------------------------

"The Pit." I want a similar forum topic, designed to keep adult content from the eyes of the younger crowd. I have figured out a workaround to make it happen, but I don't think it's the right way to do it. I created a forum topic called The Hideout, and removed permissions from regular members to view it. Then I created a usergroup that can only see The Hideout, *IF* I ban them into it. Is this how you do it or is there a plugin?

Thanks!

BTW, Send me into The Pit.

[Image: 22fa405b61.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2012, 11:56 PM
RE: My MyBB Questions
to enter the pit,go to user cp and follow the link

consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
04-27-2012, 06:33 AM
(04-26-2012 11:45 PM)auen1 Wrote:  I am working on my own MyBB forum.
A little background.
I am still trying to decide who my target audience will be. For now, I am aiming at my close friends and family, as I live so far away from everybody I care about.
Not sure yet if there will be more members than just me and my puppet accounts. Big Grin
The forum, at the moment, is/will be designed to be shielded from the general public eye.
So far as privacy is concerned, this is where I am at:
A proxy domain.
SSL
Dedicated IP
Planned password entry.

That sounds fun. If you just want to learn about MyBB or putting up a forum it is a great idea. If you just want to keep in touch with your family abroad then you could use Facebook and create a private group. That only works if everybody is willing to get a FB account.

(04-26-2012 11:45 PM)auen1 Wrote:  I created a forum topic called The Hideout, and removed permissions from regular members to view it.

That part is correct.

(04-26-2012 11:45 PM)auen1 Wrote:  Then I created a usergroup that can only see The Hideout, *IF* I ban them into it. Is this how you do it or is there a plugin?

This is where you went astray. Instead if creating a 'ban' group, just create a user group that can only see this hidden forum. Because it is small private forum for adult content, I'd set the group so that no one can join or leave freely- that way you can just add those that are 'old enough' yourself and there would be accountability.

(04-26-2012 11:45 PM)auen1 Wrote:  BTW, Send me into The Pit.

Try this tutorial: http://www.rantcentralforums.com/Thread-...t-Fighters

Wildcard is awesome.
04-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Quote:This is where you went astray. Instead if creating a 'ban' group, just create a user group that can only see this hidden forum. Because it is small private forum for adult content, I'd set the group so that no one can join or leave freely- that way you can just add those that are 'old enough' yourself and there would be accountability.
Thanks, 2 clicks and I think I have got it straightened out.

[Image: 22fa405b61.gif]
04-28-2012, 05:41 PM
Glad I could help.

Wildcard is awesome.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  MyBB as a torrent tracker karpackie 0 3,036 07-03-2012 11:39 AM
Last Post: karpackie
  Questions about Portugueuse Subtitles AliShibaz 2 877 06-27-2012 05:26 PM
Last Post: AliShibaz
  mybb karpackie 14 3,017 06-05-2012 08:59 AM
Last Post: karpackie

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)