Current time: 05-26-2017, 09:34 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Father is Very Nationalistic
01-20-2017, 01:51 AM (This post was last modified: 01-20-2017 01:56 AM by yukiyuki.)
My Father is Very Nationalistic
I am a second generation Japanese American. Growing up in a VERY diverse community, I was able to experience so many different cultures and perspectives, along with keeping in touch with my own culture and language which gave me an opportunity to meet even more people throughout my life. I like to describe myself as an open minded and patient person; everyone has their own belief and story to tell and it won't hurt to listen to what they have to say.

My father, on the other hand, is a close minded, traditional and nationalistic person. I found it quite hypocritical, as he came to the United States because he admired the American pop culture and products. He is extremely judgmental and racist, he sometimes uses derogatory terms and make statements like "Koreans are __", "Chinese are __", "Japanese people are more civilized than __", "Japanese __ are the best". He also has a pretty grounded traditional view on gender roles, which I am somewhat okay with but at some point it concerns me when he starts to objectify my mother and I.
Side note: I believe nationalism has both good and bad interpretations. Many should be encouraged to be proud in their origins and/or nationality, but when that pride escalates to bringing others down like racism and segregation, I belive that is extremely inappropriate.

Now, the reason I've decided to create a forum was because of an incident that happened today. My friend invited me to go on a camp to a nearby nature reserve with his Christian youth group, and was offered to have all of my expense paid because I am a first timer. I thought this was good to be true so obviously I discussed with my mother first. She was fine with the idea of me participating the camp because there were enough information about the chaperones, camp activities, safety, et cetera. She suggested me to also talk to my father about the camp, and that's when things went downhill. My father went hysterical; he accused my friend for "trying to brainwash me" and that I will "come home as a mindless Christian" (I forgot to mention, our family is sort of Buddhist for traditions but usually non religious, but my parents especially my father are pretty darn superstitious).
He then started throwing insults at me for being "dumb and oblivious" and that "people will cheat off of me in the real world". When he asked for my friend's full name, he saw that my friend's last name was from a Chinese background, so he himself continued to mindlessly throw racist remarks about my friend. I felt very hurt because I wanted to take this too-good-to-be-true opportunity to learn about some religious aspects, enjoy nature, and meet new people. I'm also shocked that he even used the racist card against my friend just because he invited me to the camp.
As I'm typing this, I'm starting to think that my father may be right and I shouldn't be exposed to too much things in this world that can make me very vulnerable. I really do want to believe that there is some good in everyone, but I'm guessing that reality isn't as friendly and optimistic than I have thought.
My rant has gotten pretty long, but thank you to whoever is reading this. It would be nice if I receive some opinions about my
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2017, 06:37 AM
RE: My Father is Very Nationalistic
i agree with your father.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
01-20-2017, 06:38 AM
(01-20-2017 06:37 AM)sporkium Wrote:  i agree with your father. bible thumping in the woods sound suspect at best.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
02-11-2017, 09:32 PM
your rant is mediocre at best, not saucy enough, and cut off at the bottom. Tips: cut it shorter, less detail, more rant, less background info.

i flyeth all day while thee caterwauling all day, as i the horror on all thy desires and dreams.
02-17-2017, 01:45 AM
So basically your father is a filthy weab that tries to overcompensate by being racist?

I kinda hate Koreans too (their society, at least), but I have to wonder at times which nation was shitty enough to get the first couple of A-bombs dropped on their asses...right.

Sounds like more of a bildungsroman sort of affair, which college should be able to fix (if you leave the house). You'll wish you made more mistakes before going there.
02-28-2017, 03:02 AM
I feel for you but from an opposite side yet the idea is the same. I had to rebuild my pride due to my immigrant family flaws that are stereotypical of UK 10 pound poms in Australia of the 70's. My father is a total misogynist, racist, no wonder why my mother left along time ago and yet has no idea he is worse than them. I would however advise that in my experience extreme devout religious are something to stay clear of, they are often hiding something nasty in their life, like being insane or molesting children. But you should find this out for yourself and it's the only way to learn, maybe I could be wrong. Anyway get out there tiger and enjoy/ live and add to your new country!! You are your own man.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Frustrating Father Zaligar 2 1,362 08-20-2014 12:53 AM
Last Post: snilloc

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)