• Portal
  • Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread
  • Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Music: Is Vinyl Actually Better?
    I was reading a thread on Reddit this morning and I obviously thought of @politux as soon as I saw it.

Basically, OP is asking if vinyl is really better than digital. It seems that most of the commenters agree that digital is better.

A lot of people say that music played from vinyl is "better" or "warmer"— some people argue that digitally recorded music is able to store much higher definition audio, and therefore is better than any analog music source can.

So, what do you think? Is vinyl actually better or is that just nostalgia talking?
    Heh. I hope you're not trolling me. Sound is by nature an analog signal. When a vinyl record in mint condition is played on a high end turntable with a good needle and a tube amp and good speakers, it will blow away any type of digital from the shittiest youtube stream to the best 24bit FLAC. Anyone who disputes that has no fucking clue what they are talking about and it's amusing that they think they do.
    https://pirates-forum.org/Thread-Does-vi...und-better
    No, I wasn't trolling at all. My dad always told me that you can never beat tube amps or vinyl records.

I just wanting to hear your side of it and maybe anyone else we can get to chime in...
    ...it seems that several well respected audio engineers claim that the additional frequency range found on vinyl recordings are not within the human range of hearing and don't contribute to the overall quality of sound.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
    (11-08-2018, 05:12 PM)sporkium Wrote:  ...it seems that several well respected audio engineers claim that the additional frequency range found on vinyl recordings are not within the human range of hearing and don't contribute to the overall quality of sound.

That's interesting. Sauce?
    Also, followup point. I used to think HDtracks were bullshit. Until I heard REM Automatic for the people in 24/88 from HDtracks. It was like hearing the album again for the first time. Before that I had only heard the CD that I bought in the 90s.
    i thought this article was quite interresting to read regarding this subject: 

ELECTRONICS.HOWSTUFFWORKS.COM
    Does digital sound better than analog?
    The compact disc promised better sound than the vinyl record it...
    (This post was last modified: 11-09-2018, 08:44 PM by HTorr3ntz.)
    Htz, good article. Yeah the bottom line is digital has gotten so good if you're listening to 24bit FLAC through a good system it sounds nearly identical to analog. But not exactly. The big problem is bad digital, like lossy formats and poorly encoded files.
    I always thought people were pretentious advocating for vinyl but after watching this I can see why vinyl is special
    youtube.com/watch?v=PF4A4wdnXkU Tested -- Adam Savage Visits Third Man Records! - YouTube

politux is spe... ash... Tongue

this is an article I found. interesting read
    oregonlive.com/music/index.ssf/2014/11/does_vinyl_really_sound_better.html
    (This post was last modified: 11-12-2018, 08:34 AM by becauseDrugs.)