Current time: 08-18-2017, 07:46 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Movies about Boston and the Irish Mob
04-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Movies about Boston and the Irish Mob
The Departed was a mainstream big budget film about The Irish Mob in Boston. It was directed by Martin Scorsese and starred Jack Nicholoson, Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon.

It also had Mark Wahlberg, Martin Sheen, Alec Baldwin and just about every other famous actor you can name.

It was a real heavy hitter and one of the best films in this genre I've ever seen. It ran for 2.5 hours and it will hold you in your seet for all that time.

The interesting thing for me was that there were two other films in the same genre that seem to have cost a tiny fraction what this film did but were every bit as much of a heavy hitter as The Departed was.

The first was, "What Doesn't Kill You" with Ethan Hawk, Mark Ruffalo and Brian Goodman. The interesting thing about this movie is that it is a true story based on the live of the film's writer and director Brian Goodman. You will likely enjoy this one just as much as The Departed - maybe even more.

One of the best things about "What Doesn't Kill You" was the music. It was really excellent. I haven't found out who scored the music. But it was another sign of the excellence that filled this entire movie.

And there's also "The Town" with Ben Affleck. I know most people say that Affleck is highly overrated. But he is really superb in this film and, IMO, it is just as good as the other two and very difficult to tell it apart from them.

My point here is that the second two movies cost a tiny fraction of what The Departed cost to produce. Yet they are just as good. That really speaks volumes about the quality of those films. I heartily recommend both these films just as I do The Departed. You'll enjoy all three but you will really enjoy the second two, knowing they overcame such a challenge and became major winners. They are both real winners and I think you will like them both.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2012, 01:03 PM
RE: Movies about Boston and the Irish Mob
I've seen The Town and it was a pretty good movie. I'm not against Affleck like some people are.

Wildcard is awesome.
04-02-2012, 01:04 PM
RE: Movies about Boston and the Irish Mob
the departed - i have it but haven't watched it yet.
the town - it was ok, not too good, not too bad.
what doesn't kill you - didn't like it much, but to be honest i've only watched it 'cause it had amanda peet in it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Any Good Movies Or TV Shows? Gustavo Woltamnn 5 822 01-12-2017 05:30 PM
Last Post: Togachu
  Scary Movies LZA 4 2,069 09-15-2015 10:26 AM
Last Post: LZA
  Most over-rated "lead" actors that appear in movies. AliShibaz 11 3,977 06-16-2014 03:51 PM
Last Post: Wildcard

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)