Current time: 08-18-2017, 03:55 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MERS detected in the United States
05-02-2014, 04:22 PM
MERS detected in the United States
reuters Wrote:The first U.S. case of Middle East Respiratory Virus (MERS), a viral respiratory illness, has been confirmed within U.S. borders, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Friday A SARS-like virus, MERS was first detected in Saudi Arabia in 2012.

Dr Anne Schuchat, director of the CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said on a conference call the first U.S. case of the virus was "of great concern because of its virulence," noting that it has proven fatal in about a third of the cases of infection.

She said the case represents "a very low risk to the broader general public," but MERS has been shown to spread to healthcare workers and there are no known treatments for the virus.

Schuchat said on the call the patient was a healthcare provider who had been working in Saudi Arabia.
The patient, later identified by the CDC as a male, traveled by airplane on April 24 from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, to London and then to Chicago, where he then took a bus to an undisclosed city in Indiana.

On April 27, he experienced respiratory symptoms, including fever, cough and shortness of breath, and was admitted to a hospital the following day. Because of his travel history, Indiana health officials tested him for MERS, and sent the samples to the CDC, which confirmed the presence of the virus on Friday.

Schuchat said the patient was now in stable condition and there are no other suspected cases of MERS at the current time.
The CDC declined to identify the patient by name or say where he was being treated. It also declined to say on which airlines or bus line the patient traveled. Schuchat said the CDC was working with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to contact individuals who may have been exposed to the patient during his travels.

Although the vast majority of MERS cases have been in Saudi Arabia and other countries in the Middle East, the discovery of sporadic cases in Britain, Greece, France, Italy, Malaysia and elsewhere have raised concerns about the potential global spread of the disease by infected airline passengers.

Scientists are not yet sure how the MERS virus is transmitted to people, but it has been found in bats and camels, and many experts say camels are the most likely animal reservoir from which humans become infected.
The virus is similar to the one that caused Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) which emerged in China in 2002-2003 and killed some 800 people.

source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/0...SN20140502

so, it finally reached the united states: MERS (not to be confused with murs, the california rapper), the new shiny coronavirus with a kill ratio of 33% has infected a healthcare worker who had just returned to indiana from the middle east via chicago and london.

there is no telling if the healthcare worker picked up the virus in saudi arabia or london... or on the planes or buses that they traveled on... but one thing is for sure: if the virus breaks containment, it's won't be pretty. the point of discussion is: could this have been avoided by a simple quarantine process for high risk individuals arriving from countries experiencing viral outbreaks, healthcare workers in particular?

during the sars outbreak (which had a fatality fate just below 10%), healthcare workers helped spread the disease nearly world wide.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2014, 04:53 PM
RE: MERS detected in the United States
Forget nukes or drones...Some new fangled disease that "accidentally" reached our borders is what's going to kill us all. Where was that place just off the border by Martha's Vineyard that they were doing all the experiments with diseases and whatnot??? I can't remember the name...
05-12-2014, 02:11 PM
second confirmed infection:

another health care worker from saudi arabia traveled from jeddah to orlando while passing through london, boston, and atlanta.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio...a/8998043/

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
05-18-2014, 06:05 AM
third confirmed infection from illinois... caught it from first infected:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national...-1.1796348

NY Daily News Wrote:med man reports good health after having close contact with the first patient on two occasions in Indiana, but did not seek medical attention following the discovery.

so, in other words... the dude knew the other dude and was eventually diagnosed as being infected... got tested, results came back as negative... then got sick... didn't fucking tell anyone right away... got tested, results came back as positive... Facepalm

all of you keep this in mind... when the zombie apocalypse finally arrives, we're all doomed because of fucking morons just like this newest walking petri dish.

05-18-2014, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2014 09:48 AM by LZA.)
It's funny, You have been the best source in information for this new turban pox so far. I saw something on the news after the second case on the news, but it was like a "by the way" story. I'm wondering if the news isn't making a bigger deal of it to keep the mass populous calm.

#icoinedturbanpox
05-18-2014, 10:56 AM
MERS is so named because it is a Middle East Respiratory Virus originating on the Arabian peninsula.
The term "turbanpox" is therefore clearly a misnomer, since turbans are not in common use in the Arab world.
Turbans are traditionally worn by Sikhs in India.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-18-2014, 11:46 AM
Is that what they call it,my god,3 sick people and it gets a terrorist slant already thanks to LZA

consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
05-18-2014, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2014 03:31 PM by LZA.)
eh, me like the rest of the common world equate middle east to muslims, and we all know muslims=turbans! BAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Spud17 05-18-2014 03:43 PM

The mid-east does not equate to turbans. This isn't stormfart so I suggest you get yourself a decent education, and stay on topic while you're at it.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)