Current time: 09-23-2017, 04:04 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for help to create a DVD that will play on my Divx Certified DVD player
07-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Looking for help to create a DVD that will play on my Divx Certified DVD player
I have an ".AVI" file that plays some video and it will play with either English or Russian as the spoken language.

I use MPC-HC (Media Player Classic - Home Cinema) to play this file on my PC with no problems. I just need to go into the "Play" menu and select the "Audio" option and choose English.

But, when I create a DVD that contains this file and play it on my "Divx certified" DVD player, it plays in Russian.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to get my DVD player to play the English spoken language when playing this DVD?

Or, is it possible to create the DVD so that is just plays English to begin with?

Many thanks to anyone who can tell me how to avoid playing the Russian spoken language when playing this DVD on my DVD player.

P.S. Unfortunately, this file does not have any subtitle files (.SRT files) associated with it. It came as a single file and I'm not sure how it stores its subtitles.

If it had subtitle files, I would be able to handle this OK.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-2012, 01:28 PM
RE: Looking for help to create a DVD that will play on my Divx Certified DVD player
before making a dvd i use mkvmerge to get rid of any audio language i dont want...easy to use and takes 5 to 10 mins to get rid of unwanted audio...and it does subtitles you dont want [but not if subs are hardcoded]

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/...lnix.shtml

I don't sugarcoat anything.....do i look like willy fucking wonka to you
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-19-2012, 01:40 PM
RE: Looking for help to create a DVD that will play on my Divx Certified DVD player
(07-19-2012 01:28 PM)zeberzee Wrote:  before making a dvd i use mkvmerge to get rid of any audio language i dont want...easy to use and takes 5 to 10 mins to get rid of unwanted audio...and it does subtitles you dont want [but not if subs are hardcoded]

Oh. I never heard of "mkvmerge". Thank you so much. I will definitely give it a try.

Smile
07-20-2012, 12:21 PM
(07-19-2012 01:28 PM)zeberzee Wrote:  before making a dvd i use mkvmerge to get rid of any audio language i dont want...easy to use and takes 5 to 10 mins to get rid of unwanted audio...and it does subtitles you dont want [but not if subs are hardcoded]

Wow! So Cool!

So easy to use.

I just guessed how it ought to work and it took me about 10 seconds to create the .MKV file that corresponded to my .AVI file that only has the English audio.

Thank you ever so much.

What a wonderful tool!
07-20-2012, 12:50 PM
(07-20-2012 12:21 PM)AliShibaz Wrote:  

Wow! So Cool!

So easy to use.

I just guessed how it ought to work and it took me about 10 seconds to create the .MKV file that corresponded to my .AVI file that only has the English audio.

Thank you ever so much.

What a wonderful tool!

Big Grin

I don't sugarcoat anything.....do i look like willy fucking wonka to you
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-20-2012, 01:12 PM
there are 2 possible scenarios here:

1 - the file will be converted to dvd-video (mpeg-2/vob) in which case the source being avi or mkv is irrelevant.

2 - the file will be burnt to disc "as is" in which case the source being avi or mkv is relevant.

zeb has covered the first scenario, so i'll cover the second one.
i find it very unlikely that a dvd player will handle mkv files,
even if they were to contain the exact same video/audio streams
as their equivalent avi files.

the process of de-selecting the russian audio stream can be done
in virtualdub, just like in mkvmerge, with the difference that the former
will output an avi copy and the latter an mkv copy.

having said that, there's certainly an "audio" button on your
dvd player remote control. it should allow you to cycle
through all available audio tracks.
if you still have that disc with the dual-audio file, give it a try.
07-20-2012, 02:56 PM
(07-20-2012 01:12 PM)bob5695 Wrote:  there are 2 possible scenarios here:

1 - the file will be converted to dvd-video (mpeg-2/vob) in which case the source being avi or mkv is irrelevant.

2 - the file will be burnt to disc "as is" in which case the source being avi or mkv is relevant.

zeb has covered the first scenario, so i'll cover the second one.
i find it very unlikely that a dvd player will handle mkv files,
even if they were to contain the exact same video/audio streams
as their equivalent avi files.

the process of de-selecting the russian audio stream can be done
in virtualdub, just like in mkvmerge, with the difference that the former
will output an avi copy and the latter an mkv copy.

having said that, there's certainly an "audio" button on your
dvd player remote control. it should allow you to cycle
through all available audio tracks.
if you still have that disc with the dual-audio file, give it a try.

Thanks for thinking of me, Bob.

But the tool Zeb recommended created an .MKV file and it played perfectly on my DVD player.

My DVD player is an LG model number BD620C.

Damn! The picture of the remote in the online manual shows an "audio" button but my remote has no such button.

I will try the "green" button which is the one in the same location.

Here is a link to the manual:

http://www.lg.com/sg/support/product/sup...t-profile#

The "green" button on my remote works as part of the zoom function but there is no way I could find to suppress the Russian audio on the original file (which is a .MP4 file).

But the .MKV file plays perfectly and I'm real happy about that.

Thanks anyway.
07-20-2012, 03:02 PM
so it's not a dvd player, it's a bluray player.
what i said is applicable to dvd players and you said you were playing the file on a dvd player.
07-21-2012, 08:19 AM
The Bluray player I bought did not come with a manual but instead, it came with a CD that had the manual on it.

As it turns out, I found a way to play the DVD I created that contained that ".MP4" file.

There is no button on the remote marked "Audio". But the manual on the CD explains how to do it.

There is a button marked "INFO/DISPLAY" and that brings up a menu that lists different audio files and I can select the English language audio from there.

All in all, I would much prefer to use the second DVD I created using mkvmerge. It does not even have any Russian audio file to begin with and so there is never any need for me to select an audio file to begin with.

Thanks for trying to help me.

I had no idea that there was a disctinction between "DVD Players" and "Bluray Players".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  record radio player Lounst 1 834 10-07-2013 08:36 AM
Last Post: sporkium
  Movies that will not play on my Blu-Ray player AliShibaz 3 1,241 11-28-2012 07:55 PM
Last Post: AliShibaz
  Help With Sony Blu-Ray Player AliShibaz 0 771 09-23-2012 01:43 PM
Last Post: AliShibaz

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)