Current time: 08-21-2017, 01:16 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Long Distance Relationships
02-13-2014, 10:15 PM
Long Distance Relationships
Okay, so I'm brand new here and don't really know how things work, so I apologize if I'm not posting this in the right place.

Anyway, my girlfriend and I have been dating for almost two years now. In June we'll be moving to Los Angeles so that I can attend USC for game design. She's in the entertainment industry too, but on the movie/television side. We ended up having a conversation this evening about what's going to happen if she has to travel for her job. It's possible that she would be gone for several months at a time. I find this very disconcerting, and I'm extremely worried that I would not be able to handle her absences. I love her very much, but I think having high expectations for long distance relationships is pretty unrealistic, even if it's temporary.

Is there anybody out there who's going through the same thing? How do you deal with it? I realize that it's not an immediate threat, but I have a tendency to become very discouraged with things when there's a foreseeable possibility that they might not work out. If you have advice in this area, it would be much appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2014, 01:26 AM
RE: Long Distance Relationships
Eh, I think for the most part long distance relationships only work when the relationship is fully established. Two years still seems pretty new to me.

I guess if you have to look at it objectively. Do you guys trust each other enough for it? Basically, that's what it comes down to...Trust. If so, you guys should be set.

Personally, though, I would hate it. My mind would be goin a mile a minute about what's going on (not that you can't trust her, but all the other fuckers out there).

What I just typed probably didn't help you one bit and for that, I'm sorry. These are tough, shitty situations to be in. If you guys are both in to a committed relationship with each other than again, I see no issues. The problem is what if one or the other (or both) find someone else.

I say just trust in what you have and whatever is supposed to happen will happen. One thing I say to everyone is ***do what makes you happy*** whether it be keeping the relationship strong in her absence, or...who knows.

One thing you DON'T want is to look at it years down the road and regret anything.
02-14-2014, 01:35 PM
(02-13-2014 10:15 PM)EDixie1988 Wrote:  Okay, so I'm brand new here and don't really know how things work, so I apologize if I'm not posting this in the right place.

Perfect place. Welcome Smile

(02-13-2014 10:15 PM)EDixie1988 Wrote:  Anyway, my girlfriend and I have been dating for almost two years now. In June we'll be moving to Los Angeles so that I can attend USC for game design. She's in the entertainment industry too, but on the movie/television side. We ended up having a conversation this evening about what's going to happen if she has to travel for her job. It's possible that she would be gone for several months at a time.

Oh man. I always hate to hear about couples trying to make a long distance relationship work. The problem with those things is that one of the most cherished aspects of sharing your life with another human being is in giving your time to them, taking their time and sharing their work and pain. Sadly, those things are very hard to do when the amount of time spent together is minimal. Sad

I would be nervous too.

(02-14-2014 01:26 AM)LZA Wrote:  Eh, I think for the most part long distance relationships only work when the relationship is fully established.

I have seen location changes separate and ruin relationships that were very 'established'. And I have also seen a few people 'make it work', but I have never seen two people work out a long-distance relationship that seemed intimate and happy with each other. They always seem to simply have accepted it as their lot in life.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-15-2014, 12:25 AM
relationship implies being together most of the time,a phone relationship is another kind entirely

consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
02-25-2014, 09:38 PM
You just gotta have confidence in your relationship bro.
02-26-2014, 02:24 PM
(02-25-2014 09:38 PM)SaturnGreed Wrote:  You just gotta have confidence in your relationship bro.

See OP, the general consensus is trust/confidence. That's a determination only you can make...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Why do other people deserve relationships? Superchief 8 2,695 10-31-2014 01:44 AM
Last Post: srijantje
  Polygamist world vs Monogamus relationships. (warning don't read if easily offended) PatrickZ 9 2,021 03-20-2014 02:34 PM
Last Post: velvetfog
  Middle School Relationships Wondrer 2 1,283 10-20-2013 02:24 AM
Last Post: Wondrer

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)