Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

Least favourite movies
What are yours? One of mine is Naked Lunch, David Cronenberg's 1991 adaptation of William S. Burroughs' novel of the same name: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102511/ It epitomises why I don't like Beat literature very much. In my opinion it's a nasty, vacuous, pretentious work about a cretin (Peter Weller) who spends the film justifying himself.

Burroughs' novel was autobiographical, but that doesn't help matters for me. Cronenberg's surreal images are sometimes interesting, but they're caked in a meandering narrative about sweet fuck all. Burroughs either hates or patronises most of his characters, except maybe the one representing himself, and the film can't escape that. As a story, its only purpose so far as I can tell is to distance the Weller/Burroughs character from his accidental killing of his wife, Joan Vollmer. Burroughs killed Vollmer in real life, while they were drunkenly playing a party trick where he shoots an apple off of her head. This story could have been fascinating, if approached honestly, but Burroughs seems more interested in excusing and painting himself as a tortured hero. Tortured, maybe. Hero, no.

The narrative dips in and out of surrealism, as Weller imagines himself as a spy for a mysterious organisation run by sentient bugs. Boring shit after boring shit then happens, some of which involves Ian Holm as a sinister tourist, Roy Scheider from Jaws shows up, then it ends. Beat literature attracts a lot of passionate supporters, but it's just not for me, I guess. To those who can like and see the beauty in Naked Lunch, good luck to ya.
It is very difficult to come up with specific movies that I would call "least favorite".

For example, I just saw a recent Tom Cruise movie called Jack Reacher 2012.

It was a prime example of everything I dislike about recent Tom Cruise movies. The entire movie was a giant ego trip for Cruise. He had lots of fights and - sure enough - he mopped the floor with all his opponents - even when there were 5 at a time attacking him.

Also, whenever he walked into a room where some girls were present, you could see them just gasp and moan at his presence. They all wanted to be with Tom Cruise.

It was just bullshit - all about stroking his ego. But it's difficult to just pick one example when so many of his recent movies were like that.

Nonetheless, your question deserves an answer but I'm just not certain how to best answer it.
You don't have to pick just one. Any number is fine, so maybe a more appropriate title for this thread would be "movies you hate" Smile
all of the Twilight movies. I've never seen such bad acting all in one movie by so many actors. the story is bland. the two leads actor/actress SAY they have passion and love but I can't FEEL it. they belong in an Edgar Allan Poe story. my wife loves these movies and I have suffered through them. that's love!
Fistfull of xanax
A movie I hate..... Water World with Kevin Costner. What an awful movie. Oh and one called Frozen!!! Epically stupid as hell!!!!!!!!!
RC IS THE SICKNESS THAT MAKES MY MIND GO ROUND-BUNNY
Most all of Adam Sandler's movies have always seemed incredibly repulsive to me.

Three of the worst have to be:

That's My Boy - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1232200
Jack and Jill - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0810913
You Don't Mess with the Zohan - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0960144

If you ever plan to watch Jack & Jill, try to make sure you do so on an empty stomach. The sight of him playing both a brother and sister is enough to turn anyone's stomach!

Sequels are another fertile ground for terrible movies.

Some prime candidates are:

Jaws 2
Police Academy 2
Exorcist 2
Cars 2
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Rocky II
The Fly II
The Sting II
Tron: Legacy
Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps

As far as sequels go, I'm thinking there is only one movie ever where the sequel was better than the original and that was The Godfather Part 2.
There was a time when a Sandler had a kind of loser-ish anti-charm for me. He played hopeless outsiders, and though his movies weren't smart they followed a classic formula which produced entertaining fodder. Now, though, he's fully embraced his inner hack and started churning out vile shit. There's a great hour-long video review of Jack and Jill which actually accuses Sandler of fraud in making it: http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-ba...-and-jill/
anamorph

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any Good Movies Or TV Shows? Gustavo Woltamnn 5 1,144 01-12-2017, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Togachu
  Scary Movies LZA 4 2,377 09-15-2015, 10:26 AM
Last Post: LZA
  Most over-rated "lead" actors that appear in movies. AliShibaz 11 4,360 06-16-2014, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Wildcard