Current time: 07-23-2017, 03:41 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Last Minute Inconsideration
12-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Last Minute Inconsideration
Everyone likes to receive presents. It helps if they are thoughtful and represent an understanding of your personal tastes and an intimate knowledge of you as a person. That will not be accomplished by going out at the last minute and snatching a CD/DVD from the shelf at the service station ten minutes beforehand. Angry

I don't actually celebrate Christmas. Not out of some religious problem with it, though. I am single with no children and have just grown out of it. In fact it's been years since I've celebrated, but when I did I would always have Christmas presents bought as early as possible. Early in the year while shopping if I saw an item that reminded me of a friend(a yak coffee mug for SJ for example) or family member, I would make the purchase then and hold on to it for the big day. This not only ensures that the present is tailored to the recipient, but also that you are not purchasing a 'fad' item that might be out of style or irrelevant by the time Christmas rolls around.

Then there are the selfish assholes that just go out the night before Christmas and yank meaningless items off the shelf and hurredly wrap them- shoving them off to friends and family while they enjoy the wonderful gifts they have received Angry

For the moment I work in a retail environment and it is so sad that we have to be open Christmas day so that morons can come in and get the 'after-the-last-minute' gifts. Double-Angry

What kind of a person gives that little of a shit about their friends that they would wait till the inventory is reduced to leftovers before shopping. It just makes me sick AngryAngryAngryAngry

Wildcard is awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-2011, 01:26 PM
RE: Last Minute Inconsideration
Tell'em Mark. My thoughts on xmas are very bah-humbug. Just like most holidays. The idea of it has almost been erased, but it is always justified using the origional idea. Its a horrible argument with an even more horrible answer...

Fistfull of xanax
12-20-2011, 02:15 PM
I shop waaaaaay ahead of time for the big day. I personally wrap the present even to the personal liking of the one I'm giving to. As in...if Mark got an Alabama gift his gift would be wrapped in hounds tooth print. Oh, I do go overboard!!! Somebody stop me!!!!

RC IS THE SICKNESS THAT MAKES MY MIND GO ROUND-BUNNY
12-20-2011, 03:17 PM
(12-20-2011 01:26 PM)lannisterhater Wrote:  Tell'em Mark. My thoughts on xmas are very bah-humbug. Just like most holidays. The idea of it has almost been erased, but it is always justified using the origional idea. Its a horrible argument with an even more horrible answer...

Love the sig, btw Big Grin

(12-20-2011 02:15 PM)Lissa81 Wrote:  I shop waaaaaay ahead of time for the big day. I personally wrap the present even to the personal liking of the one I'm giving to. As in...if Mark got an Alabama gift his gift would be wrapped in hounds tooth print. Oh, I do go overboard!!! Somebody stop me!!!!

Actually through the years we've known each other you have given me some of the most thoughtful gifts I have ever received (loved the Crimson Tide guitar picks Smile)

Wildcard is awesome.
12-20-2011, 03:38 PM
I fucking HATE gift vouchers. And body lotion, which my dearly beloved ends up rubbing on his feet since I don't use the stuff.

I'm with you all the way on this one, guys. Too lazy and thoughtless to put some effort into a gift? Don't bother. You might as well just hand over a card with "you're not really very important to me, but Merry Christmas anyway".
12-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Exactly. I'd rather not get a gift at all than receive some bull shit. And it's not about getting something expensive! I've been much more pleased with gifts that were homemade or even purchased yet fit my personality and needs than anything else- no matter the price tag.

Wildcard is awesome.
12-21-2011, 06:17 AM
yes,like home knit socksHysterical

consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
12-21-2011, 06:34 AM
I'm poor, so this year everyone's just getting a card. Last year when I had money I tried getting personalised gifts. I bought my father a box set of House, a favourite TV show of his, and as I write this it's still sitting in its original plastic on a high shelf. I bought my younger brother The Dark Knight, which he said he wanted, and now he's lost the DVD from the case. That makes me angry: when you spend your hard-earned money on a carefully chosen gift for someone, and they're not grateful enough to even humour you on opening it.
12-21-2011, 06:40 AM
I have to agree with Jack as well as everyone else. Gifts require thought and effort. For Jack to put forth both it's a slap in the face to have his gifts treated shoddily.

I tend to make many gifts. Not all, but many. Granted I am not a Christmas person, but since my grandmother is I made her 3 dozen body butter drops scented like peppermint and some coffee peppermint body scrub.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-21-2011, 06:50 AM
I love the idea of making giftsSmile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)