Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

Knowing When To Quit
Nobody Likes a Quitter

To me this is one of the most bullshit expressions that people use. There is a long list of people that love quitters, not the least of them being the competition. And other quitters love quitters because they don't feel so bad for quitting themselves. In fact quitters like to know even larger failures than themselves so they can feel superior to someone.

They say "nobody likes a quitter", I say: "nobody likes someone who doesn't know when to quit."

Things You Should Quit

Some overly zealous people take everything long past the point of sanity. Eating, drinking, smoking, talking-- especially talking. Some people that I have to deal with are not concerned in any way as to whether you are actually interested in what they have to say, railing on and on about nothing that I care to hear.

Or some people that won't stop with the stale-assed jokes they tell and retell and continue to tell even when you stop them and say that you've already heard the joke.

Then there is the person that can't stop picking fights with people when he is drunk regardless of the fact that he routinely gets his ass handed to him when he gets into these altercations. Or the person who doesn't want to fight but cannot back down in front of everyone. Without fail they wait until it is obviously too late before their facade of anger crumbles and they try to escape while being beaten from behind.

Sometimes It Is Good To Quit

In all of the above cases, quitting is a good thing. Quitting smoking, beating your spouse, raping dogs, etc. are all very wise decisions.

So I say, "nobody loves somebody who thinks they have to win every fucking time." This is dangerously close to self-entitlement. And I am not talking about the last poster wins.
I think you sum it up perfectly here:

(05-27-2014, 04:49 PM)Wildcard Wrote: They say "nobody likes a quitter", I say: "nobody likes someone who doesn't know when to quit."

People say nobody likes a quitter as a douchey way to motivate. Sometimes the intelligent thing is knowing when to quit... A good saying is "back to the drawing board"... quit and review, then start again...

Most people have no clue what they say.
I agree completely,one of the most important things to learn in life is to know when to run
consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
There is a famous expression in English:
When the going gets tough, the tough get going – meaning when the situation becomes difficult, the strong will work harder to meet the challenge.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
when the going gets weird,the weird turn pro
Hunter.S.Thompson
consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it." W.C. Fields
"Did you really think I was the demon? The Demon of Empire City?"
There's nothing wrong with quitting, if you've exhausted all other possibilities. When continuing will make no more forward progression or difference. Knowing when to quit is a key part of intelligence I think...
Suicide is a form of quitting.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yes it is... I'm glad my attempts didn't work... I'm glad I didn't properly plan...To be honest my 2 suicide attempts were not cries for help, but after thinking, and feeling that the world would be better off without me, I tried to make it easier for everyone I was involved with by taking me out of the picture. I would quit my life before things got worse for my family and friends.

Through therapy, I see how fucked up that thinking was. Instead of taking me out completely, I should have not been the bitch and did the hard work that comes with dealing with life's lessons. That's where I am now... ready to do the hard work for the benefit of a decent life with my family. It's harder to face things head on, but it is more honorable... Back when I was in that dark place, I thought the honorable thing to do was to take myself out of it for the benefit of others... Now I'm not quitting anything.. for good or bad...