Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

Just Bought LG Blu-ray Disc Player
Gah! I'm very unhappy.

It's probably my fault. Probably my lack of understanding. I just today purchased the LG Blue-ray Disc Player model BP340. I bought the best model I could find because I wanted a good reliable product.

Mostly what I wanted was a good User Interface. I wanted a large number of variable speeds to view my videos - both fast forward and slow motion forward - also reverse.

I bought several other players and found all of them to be very disappointing in regards to their user interface.

I wanted the best user interface available and I was willing to pay as much as necessary to get it.

In short, my main problem with this player is that I want to have a permanent display on the screen that shows how much of a program I have played so far and/or how much of a program is yet to be played. This is something that most all other players always do and I'm guessing this one will do it too. I just can't figure out how to do it.

The first problem I encountered with this player was trying to understand the User Manual. In part, that was because there was no user manual. There is a paper that comes with this product and it says,

"To view the instructions of advanced features visit http://www.lg.com and then download Owner's Manual."

I went to that web site and it was just one problem after another. It may well have been my fault. The web site displays a message saying, "No Downloads are Currently Available". Well fuck those assholes with a big fucking stick. I'm really angry because I spent a pile of money and expected better than this. By, "this", I mean "fuck all" by the way. I spent $100 and got a tiny little box that has one input and one output (the input is for a USB drive and the output is for an HDMI plug). There is also a power cord. But that is all there is.

I expected that I would be able to get this player working - at least in its basic mode.

By the way, in case any of you are wondering, I'm fucking Ranting here. I'm really pissed off and I'm fucking ranting.

Some of the other problems I have had in the past with user interfaces have been a very tiny display that only shows about 20 characters in the name of a movie or TV show. That was the Sanyo piece of garbage.

But at least this LG player displays a goodly number of characters in the title of movies and TV shows. But I can't figure out how to permanently display the index of where the program is playing.

In other words, my main problem is that I want to have a permanent display on the screen that shows how much of a program I have played so far and/or how much of a program is yet to be played.

I am really fuming. Pissed right off. I'm sure that I'm overreacting but I just hate it when I buy the best product a store sells and then take it home - only to discover it has something lacking - or ... I am lacking the basic understanding to make it work.

Fuck! Scream! Rant and Rave!
LG's support page for the BP340 player is here:
http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-BP340

You can download the full user manual from them in PDF format. It is 5,524K in size.
They also have firmware updates for the player, along with PDF format instructions on how to install the firmware.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
Thanks very much Velvetfog.

I'm embarassed to admit that I have no idea what firmware updates are or what they will do for me.

I've seen that you can access some "content" from LG or Negflix but I always figured that to do that you had to set up an account which means giving them personal info, credit card access and pay them a monthly fee.

I don't use credit cards over the net or over the phone. So, I've always ignored that.

But is it worth pursuing firmware updates?

P.S. I tried to access that link you posted but it appears to be invalid. I'll try to find it on my own.

Ack! No luck.

Hmm .. maybe the web site is down because I have accessed http://www.lg.com before but it won't work now.
(06-17-2014, 03:08 AM)AliShibaz Wrote: But is it worth pursuing firmware updates?

I always flash update my gear to the latest firmware release, since firmware upgrades are mostly bug fixes.
Many types of gear have flash upgradable firmware.
This includes Blueray players, media players, routers, printers, PC motherboards, smart phones and tablets.

But you have to know what you are doing when you flash upgrade equipment.
Always read the instructions first, and follow then properly.

Screwing up a firmware flash upgrade is known as bricking equipment.
That is when you inadvertently turned an expensive piece of gear into a paperweight.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buying a modern MP3 player AliShibaz 21 7,951 12-14-2015, 09:17 PM
Last Post: wolfis
  Media Player LZA 15 3,195 04-17-2014, 06:31 AM
Last Post: sporkium
  Dual core Android 4.2 Smart TV Box Media Player velvetfog 4 4,340 01-08-2014, 06:50 PM
Last Post: velvetfog