Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

Ignorant and Arrogant
(08-13-2013, 10:15 AM)heslopian Wrote: People who comment on internet film reviews strike me as some of the most ignorant and arrogant dipshits around. NONE of them understand the concept of opinion, and how one person's ideas about a film don't invalidate anyone else's or their own. I've written several reviews for Amazon and been patronised by the kind of fucking moron who could choke on oxygen. There's a litany of buzzwords and phrases people who hate you for your opinion, but aren't articulate enough to refute it, will fling at you. One of my favourites is "it's satire". This is one they'll use if you raise a moral objection to a film, or don't like something which has been deemed cool by high school philosophers. "Duh, it's called SATIRE, you just don't get it!" 99.9% of the time they clearly don't know what satire is. It's just a word they heard or (less likely) read somewhere and think is some kind of magic spell that automatically wins any argument. "IT'S SATIRE! SATIRE! THATIRE! THAT-TIRE! WAH! WAH! WAAAAH!"

I couldn't have said it better. To be honest, entities like Fox news prey on people who can't articulate much, and throw out those buzz words or buzz-bytes like "attack on freedom", etc to twist the facts into something vulgar and grotesque that these people eat up. But that's for another thread I reckon.

I'm thinking you said that because Velvetfog thought I literally called my boss an idiot? If so, that's OK. So many times the real meaning is lost in translation through email type communications. Just as an example, years ago one of the employees that reported directly to one of my reports, was one of the nicest, well meaning people you can meet. His Ideas were overlooked a few times for the fact that he would type in caps lock. He was middle aged, former Marine set in his was to just didn't understand what netiquette was.

One person in a huss came to my office = asking why this person was yelling at him. I explained to her that he didn't know that what he was doing was offensive, and no matter how much we worked with him he just tended to forget. I brought him over and introduced her to him, and said she needed more clarification on what he said. You can see the change on her face when he respectfully, took his time to explain and answer all his questions.

Face to face contact is lost in all this new aged technology. I think now it's better, but back in it's infancy, it was almost like the communication was intentionally broken, because the content of a message was ignored, for the presentation of the message (all caps, no caps,)

I use netiquette and try to always use good punctuation because it's appropriate, but I'll never critizise a message if I get the message in it. Kids nowadays with the leet speak, are just insane. If it takes me just as long googling the words in a message to figure out what they are saying, that's not worth it either.

We are all human and capable of making some errors...And in the case of my former report...His intellect was too valuable to criticize too much over his caps lock...
(04-16-2013, 05:28 PM)Wildcard Wrote: Years later I feel very comfortable in building anything that needs building and run crews for others or myself. Nowadays the helpers we get are unbelievably slow-witted and come to the job without a single skill-- and they don't seem to have any great ambition to learn anything either. Very arrogant of you to say.

I hired this guy a few months ago that has made me more angry than anyone I can remember. Not only does he have zero skills, he is also quite possibly the most arrogant person I have ever met. Instead of listening to my builders when they tell him things that could help him, he argues with them-- then goes around attempting to find fault with others work when he can't even read a tape measure! You should have better interview techniques and have realised he was not right for the job not his fault but yours not his.

How is it possible to be that ignorant and yet feel that you can come into a new field and begin to 'school' seasoned carpenters? How is it possible to be that ignorant to employ the wrong person?

He is no longer with us (fired, not killed :p ), but I imagine my crew will be talking about him for a long time to come.

Wasn't it ignorant to take him on in the first place and arrogant to sack him because he was taken on by your bad judgement and management skills?

I hope you learn by your mistakes and pick up some humility on the way.
(08-13-2013, 02:36 PM)snilloc Wrote:
(04-16-2013, 05:28 PM)Wildcard Wrote: Years later I feel very comfortable in building anything that needs building and run crews for others or myself. Nowadays the helpers we get are unbelievably slow-witted and come to the job without a single skill-- and they don't seem to have any great ambition to learn anything either. Very arrogant of you to say.

Arrogant how? One of the reasons I no longer deal with construction is because of the difficulty in finding good, intelligent help.

(04-16-2013, 05:28 PM)Wildcard Wrote: I hired this guy a few months ago that has made me more angry than anyone I can remember. Not only does he have zero skills, he is also quite possibly the most arrogant person I have ever met. Instead of listening to my builders when they tell him things that could help him, he argues with them-- then goes around attempting to find fault with others work when he can't even read a tape measure! You should have better interview techniques and have realised he was not right for the job not his fault but yours not his.

Maybe you should realize that when you work union you don't get to interview your subordinates but rather are given a certain number of workers per job.

It is very arrogant of you to think you know more about my job than I do, sir.

(04-16-2013, 05:28 PM)Wildcard Wrote: How is it possible to be that ignorant and yet feel that you can come into a new field and begin to 'school' seasoned carpenters? How is it possible to be that ignorant to employ the wrong person?

How is it possible to be so thoughtless that you cannot perceive the possibility that I did not hire my own crew? Or the possibility that sometimes you need help-- as in warm bodies to lift things and such and you take what you can get?

(08-13-2013, 02:36 PM)snilloc Wrote: Wasn't it ignorant to take him on in the first place and arrogant to sack him because he was taken on by your bad judgement and management skills?

Humility is something that I may lack indeed, but when work and business is concerned you need not try to instruct me, Master Poe.
British industrial law is so superior we wouldn't support such attitude.

Anyway any fool can hit a nail with a hammer for gods sake.
(08-13-2013, 02:52 PM)Wildcard Wrote:

Arrogant how? One of the reasons I no longer deal with construction is because of the difficulty in finding good, intelligent help.

(04-16-2013, 05:28 PM)Wildcard Wrote: I hired this guy a few months ago that has made me more angry than anyone I can remember. Not only does he have zero skills, he is also quite possibly the most arrogant person I have ever met. Instead of listening to my builders when they tell him things that could help him, he argues with them-- then goes around attempting to find fault with others work when he can't even read a tape measure! You should have better interview techniques and have realised he was not right for the job not his fault but yours not his.

Maybe you should realize that when you work union you don't get to interview your subordinates but rather are given a certain number of workers per job.

It is very arrogant of you to think you know more about my job than I do, sir.

(04-16-2013, 05:28 PM)Wildcard Wrote: How is it possible to be that ignorant and yet feel that you can come into a new field and begin to 'school' seasoned carpenters? How is it possible to be that ignorant to employ the wrong person?

How is it possible to be so thoughtless that you cannot perceive the possibility that I did not hire my own crew? Or the possibility that sometimes you need help-- as in warm bodies to lift things and such and you take what you can get?

(08-13-2013, 02:36 PM)snilloc Wrote: Wasn't it ignorant to take him on in the first place and arrogant to sack him because he was taken on by your bad judgement and management skills?

Humility is something that I may lack indeed, but when work and business is concerned you need not try to instruct me, Master Poe.

That's arrogance combined with ignorance for one to think they know about all about something when they know nothing. I bet the employee you spoke of was a good case in point.

If Snilly worked in the same field as you, his opinion would be an arrogant one (albeit an incorrect one because I've dealt with enough to know Wildcards assessment is corrent 99.9% of the time)

If Snilly never had to work, then his statement was ignorant, since he just didn't know the trials and tribulations of that kind of work. Just like the business I worked for, when we became unionized, it was so much harder to get rid of people not pulling their weight.

(08-13-2013, 03:15 PM)snilloc Wrote: British industrial law is so superior we wouldn't support such attitude.

LOL! I have to disagree with you there, good sir. Some of these Neanderthals would just be day workers for alcohol or drug money. They whack the hammer and complain how sore they were, and it would take them many swings to get a nail in...It would be all bent and what not. I'd tell them that the hammer is designed to do the work, and let the weight of the hammer take care of business. I'd show them how I would do it & they'd seem to be receptive, but go back to their ways. My arm never hurt and I didn't need as many swings to put a nail in either.
(08-13-2013, 03:15 PM)snilloc Wrote: British industrial law is so superior we wouldn't support such attitude.

good going.. arrogant and ignorant
Fistfull of xanax
(08-13-2013, 06:56 PM)LannisterHater Wrote:

good going.. arrogant and ignorant

I wonder if he just said that to push buttons?
No, I think snilly truly believes it. if it had been vf talking about Canadian superiority then yeah
Fistfull of xanax
Ok, now I'm starting to get it. I'm lurking and re-reading posts now that I'm more engaged, and see Velvetfog is a European living in Canada... I should have read up before I mentioned I thought he wasn't American on the "troll" thread.

If snilly actually believes it, but has never worked in that area, he's ignorant. which is fine. if he has worked in that area, he's in trouble. It's not arrogance. what would be a word for Arrogantly thinking you are correct on a subject, all the while being incorrect?

Forum posting is interesting. If we all worked together in the same company I would have known Velvetfog's living situation through daily face to face chit-chat. Here the chit chat is the prior postings. Still getting used to this email form of communication I guess LOL!Smile

Your viewpoint is both ignorant and arrogant. Confused

The British industrial laws, formulated by the Labour party at the behest of the labour unions, pretty well destroyed British industry.
While any fool can swing a hammer, fools don't necessarily hit the nail on the head.
It takes a skilled carpenter to use a hammer properly.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein