Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ignorant and Arrogant
Out of the two, I think arrogance is worse than ignorance. You can decrease your ignorance by learning some of what you don't know, and seek answers. The arrogant think they already have them. As humans, we can all be ignorant and arrogant from time to time, and while ignorance can be amusing, it's arrogance on our part to judge why a person is/remains ignorant. There are many things we don't know, including the motivations (or lack of them) of others.
"everyone wants to win but no one wants to drink a bucket of sj's piss" - bob5695
I agree completely with @Spudgun17 on this.
Ignorance can be alleviated through learning.
Arrogance is a human flaw that inhibits learning.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
I agree too. The sup at my old job was so arrogant, and no idea but hers was good enough, even if her idea was once yours... The sup before her was who let me flourish & become a top performer. I would do all the training, and from what I took from the feedback, I was pretty good at teaching too. Once the new sup took over, everything changed. Office politics at its best. I've been bullied & beat up throughout my childhood. It's easy to think you're no good when that's what you've been told. In my ignorance, I gave up on myself I guess, until I got this new job & promotion. I tried to be a perfectionist (and succeeded for a little while) just because I was worried that people would discover I was no good. That taught me I was a reasonably intelligent person with stuff to offer. But when the new sup came in, and would poo-poo any idea I had, only to later make my idea a best practice (after a while, when "she" would think of it). What a bitch, my whole team came to me and told me they knew those ideas were mine. My personality being what it was, with her personality (she showed major arrogance, but I think, and was told by others, that she's an insecure 2 faced liar) didn't mix well. I tried to play the office games in an attempt to get along, but I knew I was losing myself. Maybe that's a big part of why I had a breakdown and had to go on med leave. Once again, I was being the shy, bullied kid who couldn't stick up for himself (in my late 30's now). And the evil part is she knew what she was doing. Of course she used my depression as a reason to take me out of all my duties when I came back to work. Like I couldn't hack it anymore (she knew it would kill me not to be able to do all the stuff I've done...I can't just be a worker drone). So I'm happy I was terminated for using all my sick time. Now I can reinvent myself, and I know I'm destined for better. It took awhile for me to get to this place in my life and learn these lessons (a lifetime of being shy, bullied, depressed, then having a few nervous breakdowns and 2 suicide attempts).

Wow, I went on a rant there...It would seem that I've derailed the subject but it felt good to vent to you all. Also. I guess the thoughts in my ramblings is this: I agree ignorance is not necessarily a bad thing, because those who can teach others and watch them grow is a good thing. The failure is when you go through something and don't learn anything from it. Arrogance is evil. No one wants to learn from someone who is arrogant, or even be around arrogant people.
That's why you ALWAYS have a plan B. Mine happened to be real estate. I knew at my job if any idiot new boss came in trying to change things that worked I can tell the boss:" You, sir , are an idiot!" I never had to compromise my principles because I had plan B in effect. If they fired me, plan B would support me. You have to always make a plan. Put it on paper and out of your head so you can use your head for thinking!! A pad and pencil is not too expensive to keep with you. I just realized the last poster is "Resigned" so he or she won't get my advice. I'll leave it here though so others can read.. ALWAYS HAVE A PLAN B!!!!
Telling your boss that he is an idiot is unlikely to be what he is paying you for.
If you do that to several employers in succession, you will rapidly need fresh alternatives.
Have you considered the need for a plan "C" and a plan "D"?

Burning your bridges with your employers is not a very smart thing to do.
Justifying it to yourself by insisting that you didn't compromise your principles, doesn't make it any better.
I detect both ignorance and arrogance in your attitude towards working for others.
- Robert A. Heinlein
what a lot of you guys are talking about is Hubris
(for VF) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubris

I can deal with ignorant people much more easily than I can arrogant people. I am a very arrogant person and therefore have a tough time dealing with other pricks that think they know everything
Fistfull of xanax
The most arrogant people I have met come from old money and then spend their lives telling others how to live theirs.

In the UK the most arrogant ones end up in politics.

Now Ignorance and Arrogance have joined forces and given us our Prime Minister Mr David Cameron Sad
(08-12-2013, 01:58 PM)velvetfog Wrote: Telling your boss that he is an idiot is unlikely to be what he is paying you for.
If you do that to several employers in succession, you will rapidly need fresh alternatives.
Have you considered the need for a plan "C" and a plan "D"?

Burning your bridges with your employers is not a very smart thing to do.
Justifying it to yourself by insisting that you didn't compromise your principles, doesn't make it any better.
I detect both ignorance and arrogance in your attitude towards working for others.

Well, Let me rephrase. I've never told my boss he was an "idiot" outright. I've never used that word. But I have on many occasions told him he was wrong on certain things, and I always supplied reasons to why I thought that way. He pays me to work for him, so the best way to do that is to give an honest opinion on a certain subject, not just to pacify him like one of his many "yes" men did. I can't count the number of dollars I saw wasted due to bad ideas being implemented. And I wonder if the yes men were just yessing him in order to not upset him; not because they agreed with an idea.
People who comment on internet film reviews strike me as some of the most ignorant and arrogant dipshits around. NONE of them understand the concept of opinion, and how one person's ideas about a film don't invalidate anyone else's or their own. I've written several reviews for Amazon and been patronised by the kind of fucking moron who could choke on oxygen. There's a litany of buzzwords and phrases people who hate you for your opinion, but aren't articulate enough to refute it, will fling at you. One of my favourites is "it's satire". This is one they'll use if you raise a moral objection to a film, or don't like something which has been deemed cool by high school philosophers. "Duh, it's called SATIRE, you just don't get it!" 99.9% of the time they clearly don't know what satire is. It's just a word they heard or (less likely) read somewhere and think is some kind of magic spell that automatically wins any argument. "IT'S SATIRE! SATIRE! THATIRE! THAT-TIRE! WAH! WAH! WAAAAH!"
I find that ignorant people tend to post their forum messages as one large block of text.
Concepts such as breaking the text up into paragraphs, and including some white space into their posts, appears to be too advanced for them.

The smart people, on the other hand, put in the effort necessary to create easy to read posts.
- Robert A. Heinlein