Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

Ignorant and Arrogant
When I first took a job with a local home builder I was young and completely ignorant of practical carpentry and such. In construction n00bs are generally called helpers or more simply, wood toters-- because when you don't yet have a skill you are only good for manual labor.

So when I got my first job I carried lumber to the builders, kept them nails to work with and even (happily) fetched them cold water to drink-- in turn, when I had caught up my work, they would show me how to do a wall layout or let me use the nail gun for a bit when the foreman wasn't watching.

Before long I had learned how to do the builder's helper's job and when he called in sick one day that was my chance to show the foreman that I had learned enough to advance-- consequently I got just a tad more respect from he and the crew.

Years later I feel very comfortable in building anything that needs building and run crews for others or myself. Nowadays the helpers we get are unbelievably slow-witted and come to the job without a single skill-- and they don't seem to have any great ambition to learn anything either.

Contented to carry lumber and fetch things for the skilled laborers, they putter about all day and use every second of free time to talk on the phone and smoke cigarettes rather than attempt to better their position.

If that wasn't bad enough--

I hired this guy a few months ago that has made me more angry than anyone I can remember. Not only does he have zero skills, he is also quite possibly the most arrogant person I have ever met. Instead of listening to my builders when they tell him things that could help him, he argues with them-- then goes around attempting to find fault with others work when he can't even read a tape measure!

How is it possible to be that ignorant and yet feel that you can come into a new field and begin to 'school' seasoned carpenters?

He is no longer with us (fired, not killed :p ), but I imagine my crew will be talking about him for a long time to come.
I want to start off by saying that I am not bashing women here. Only this particular one, who I hated and would have hated if she were a man.

I used to work in the machine shop at a relatively small company and they hired this young woman to be our shift supervisor. She was supposed to help set up the machines and run them as well. It turns out that she had no clue what she was doing and was constantly asking for our help and breaking things and ruining parts, while at the same time trying to be our boss, which she also had no idea how to do.

After awhile we pretty much ignored anything she said and stopped helping her and there wasn't anything she could do about it, because she apparently bullshitted her way into the job and couldn't go to the owner because then he would have known.

To top it all off, she was not that attractive (not that that mattered to us), but she thought she was, and was always wearing her shirt half unbuttoned and very short cutoff daisy duke jean shorts and trying to flirt with everyone.

It was all very annoying.

One day she was actually sitting in the break room with these shorts on and her legs spread and one of her feet up on the table. She was also not wearing any underwear and you could see her vajayjay plain as day. This was not only in front of me, but the entire shift of about five guys.

I think she must have been trying to use her sex appeal (of which she had very little) to get us to pay attention to her or care about her in some way. It was sort of sad in a way and it had the opposite effect, at least on me.

Anyhow, she wasn't there much longer after that. I don't know if someone told on her about the skimpy clothes and flashing or her inability or if the owner finally figured out somehow that she was incompetent. All I know is we were very glad to have her gone.
Ignorance is annoying. Arrogance is super annoying. I can usually tolerate and bite my tongue around an ignorant person. you can teach them some things. but an arrogant S.O.B. is why there are weapons.

I have a cousin who is 40 and a virgin. She is so arrogant and petty and set in her ways that within 10 minutes of being around her i want to walk off a short bridge. She is so mean to waiters/waitresses at restaurants that i refuse to dine out with her. she orders things so ridiculously. here is some of her typical requests while ordering at McDonald's.
I need a plastic cup not paper it may leak in my car.
I want a smaller bun and toasted not grilled.
I want 8 packs of ketchup not 2.
No salt on on my fries.
Do y'all have regular mayo bc i Dont eat the low fat kind.
And can you read all of that back to me so i know you won't screw it up?

I mean seriously i would punch my own cousin in the face!!!! She is so full of herself. ugh!!!!!
RC IS THE SICKNESS THAT MAKES MY MIND GO ROUND-BUNNY
can i get a tl;dr version plox
(04-17-2013, 02:18 AM)shirepirate Wrote: can i get a tl;dr version plox

Ignorance, bad; arrogance, really bad.
[Image: MyUserBar2.gif]
we're all ignorant in some ways about a lot of things,but then when you're intersted you can learn[it's a state],arrogance is something really bad and would be hard to get rid of[it's a mental state]
consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
Unfortunately, antisocial personality disorders are very common.
A significant percentage of the population suffers from them.
Read this: --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_...y_disorder
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
(04-17-2013, 01:48 AM)Bunny Wrote: No salt on on my fries.

what's wrong with that?
i don't like salt on my fries.
every now and then i order food from a local take-away restaurant
and i always ask for no salt on my fries. i do say "please" and "thank you", though.
(04-17-2013, 10:58 AM)bob5695 Wrote:
(04-17-2013, 01:48 AM)Bunny Wrote: No salt on on my fries.

what's wrong with that?
i don't like salt on my fries.
every now and then i order food from a local take-away restaurant
and i always ask for no salt on my fries. i do say "please" and "thank you", though.

ordering no salt on fries means they have to make a brand new batch with no salt as the majority of fast food places salt the fries as they come out of the fryer... it's a nifty way of getting fresh fries and ruining the flow of their kitchen production as they follow some sort of quazi-lean operating procedure.

arrogance is mainly a perception issue; most people confuse it with confidence... i choose not to see it as a character flaw, but as a privilege... but i do concede to the fact that a lot of people don't deserve that privilege.

as far as ignorance goes... idk... that can go either way as there are plenty of things i don't give a fuck about and won't waste my time learning about.

if i were working as a job where i just moved stuff around and didn't care about advancing up the ladder, i probably wouldn't care about learning the business. for example, when i was 16 i had a job at burger king... i had absolutely desire to learn how to preform more complex functions like flipping burgers... the fryer station was good enough. all i wanted was enough money to gas up my pos ford, haul ass out to the wiskey, catch a social d show and then hit up okie dogs afterward.

being in management myself, i've never once made the false assumption that the low level-low pay-sexual harassment law suit in the making i had hired to sit behind a desk, drink diet dr. pepper all day and say hello to people who walked into my office had any future other than as slightly intelligent door stop... and that's the truth.

there are classes of employees and the most worthless employees usually get paid accordingly... unless they bullshit really well or have government jobs.
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
(04-17-2013, 10:40 AM)velvetfog Wrote: Unfortunately, antisocial personality disorders are very common.
A significant percentage of the population suffers from them.
Read this: --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_...y_disorder

I have tendencies, but not a full-fledged disorder. Luckily, my Aspergers retards my antisocial tendencies just enough to make me seem civil to other people.
[Image: MyUserBar2.gif]