Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

I'm sorry...
At what point did the idea of being sorry replace the actual emotion of compassion? "I'm sorry" is used to indicate that you have done something wrong and wish to gain absolution from that action. So many people say the words now without any meaning as if by compulsion. You tell someone about an unfortunate event that happened and they say, "I'm so sorry for you." Why? You're not [sorry] for them, you just feel compassion for their hurt. If a family member of mine died, the common place response would be, "I'm sorry for your loss." Why, are you the asshole that killed them? The words "I'm sorry" have been used so much over time and across culture to express emotions that have no related meaning to the actual words that it's no wonder that people don't actually mean it when they say it anymore.
Fistfull of xanax
So true. I think a lot of the time what people mean is, 'I'm sorry you've brought me down by telling me your troubles' Wink
Wildcard is awesome.
Or you can catch your attention.......... Swallow it or Bin it.
does it wrap around your wrist or take control of your heart..
" "..............
My Torrents Are HERE And HERE Big GrinYay
Exactly! A statement void of compassion or sympathy. I rarely say the words I'm sorry. Cause generally, I'm not.
Fistfull of xanax
Couldn't agree more. The words have become completely meaningless, or rather, they mean something entirely other than what they're saying. Much like when people preface a statement with "I don't mean to be rude, but..."
Here in the ROI we call it: "From the teeth out"!..
What that means is.... I've said what i've said......... If it hurt you ignore me.. If it resonated with you i said it!!!
The classic "double cross" (by words)..

My Torrents Are HERE And HERE Big GrinYay
Prefacing a statment (psychologically speaking) is usually an unconscience way of being condecending.
Fistfull of xanax
Why doesn't I'm sorry mean just that again LH my love??? If u look up the definition it simply states that sorry is feeling distress esp thru sympathy with someone else's misfortune... Therefore I say highly appropriate in all manner of situations... Truth be told my love it just doesn't mean what YOU want it to mean :-)
God leads; We follow! Angel
(12-21-2011, 09:11 PM)LannisterHater Wrote: At what point did the idea of being sorry replace the actual emotion of compassion? "I'm sorry" is used to indicate that you have done something wrong and wish to gain absolution from that action. So many people say the words now without any meaning as if by compulsion. You tell someone about an unfortunate event that happened and they say, "I'm so sorry for you." Why? You're not [sorry] for them, you just feel compassion for their hurt. If a family member of mine died, the common place response would be, "I'm sorry for your loss." Why, are you the asshole that killed them? The words "I'm sorry" have been used so much over time and across culture to express emotions that have no related meaning to the actual words that it's no wonder that people don't actually mean it when they say it anymore.

Repent- feel or express sincere regret or remorse about ones wrongdoing or sin.
Sorry-filled with compassion for
God leads; We follow! Angel
I think being repentant and being sorry is different. Feeling compassion and being sorry differ slightly as well. Like LH said, people think that 'sorry' fits the scenario when 'I hate to hear that' makes a lot more sense in context.