Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

Help with Remote Control
I have a surround sound system that I've had for many years and the remote is basically done for. i can't find a universal remote that will program to it. so my question is... Can you buy replacement remotes for certain electronics like that?? And if so how and where??
RC IS THE SICKNESS THAT MAKES MY MIND GO ROUND-BUNNY
(11-20-2012, 12:15 AM)Bunny Wrote: I have a surround sound system that I've had for many years and the remote is basically done for. i can't find a universal remote that will program to it. so my question is... Can you buy replacement remotes for certain electronics like that?? And if so how and where??

I have 3 old surround sound remotes but the

Make
Model

Would be useful Tongue
(11-20-2012, 12:15 AM)Bunny Wrote: I have a surround sound system that I've had for many years and the remote is basically done for. i can't find a universal remote that will program to it. so my question is... Can you buy replacement remotes for certain electronics like that?? And if so how and where??

There are many different type of universal remote controls in various price ranges. Some more expensive remotes can be programmed with a USB connection to your computer so almost any remote control can be emulated.

As snilly pointed out nobody can help you find a remote that will work with your equipment unless you list some model number info and the brand. Also, you can probably just search Google with the text 'universal remote control RCA 12234-dfdf-buttplug-anonymous-sexorgies-2' (and replace 'RCA 12234-dfdf-buttplug-anonymous-sexorgies-2' with the brand name and model # of your equipment and find something that way.

XD
Wildcard is awesome.
Ok thanks you guys. this was very helpful. Smile

And the code you gave mark must be to some kind of kinky remote. Big Grin
RC IS THE SICKNESS THAT MAKES MY MIND GO ROUND-BUNNY
Just as an example last year we had a remote was broken and the shop wanted a fortune (£50) Mrs S went to her beloved eBay and got a Genuine, Brand New. Sony RM-ED009 with postage for under £5

EBay have them so cheap let us know how you get on Smile
electronic manufactures use a 'core' set of commands for their products and in general, the codes (three digits) do not change drastically between different products so it's very possible that a similar remote control from the same manufacture will work... also, a universal remote where you manually enter the manufacture/model code into the remote will work by just entering random codes from the manufacture until you get one that works.

basic list of codes: http://www.jumboremotecontrol.com/remote..._list.html

the programmable universal controls that you would use for a home entertainment system where you have to manually program stuff are the usually the best option since you can just enter a code:

so, by looking at the sony stuff on the list, you can see that they have four sets of codes for all their products while philips and rca have over 15. you either just need to find the right code or... look up the make and model of your equipment and find the remote control code and feed that into the universal remote.

in addition, most modern remotes that come with tv's, cable/satellite boxes can be programmed to whatever you want since they usually have universal remotes built in.

examples of programmable remotes:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q...3212530811

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q...2364119500
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
I don’t want to go off topic but if as you say it's possible to program remotes.

I have a box full of old remotes (All the same make) for different TV's & DVD's how do I reprogram a remote?
(11-20-2012, 12:15 AM)Bunny Wrote: Can you buy replacement remotes for certain electronics like that?? And if so how and where??
I would call the manufacturer and ask them to send you a new remote. It'll cost you some $$$, but they'll do it.
[Image: MyUserBar2.gif]
(11-20-2012, 01:17 AM)snilloc Wrote: I have a box full of old remotes (All the same make) for different TV's & DVD's how do I reprogram a remote?

Universal remotes can be reprogrammed . . . take the box to the trash. :p
Wildcard is awesome.