Current time: 06-27-2017, 05:39 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Football
01-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Football
I get that we Americans stole the name 'football'. I get that it isn't as physical as rugby. I can even understand why Europeans think that soccer is harder than football(look ma, no hands), but what I can not understand is why American football is so contemptible for Europeans and well- every other nation in the world!

American football is more evenly paced and relies more on strategy(that is coaching strategy) than soccer or rugby; The passing element brings a different dimension to our game compared to rugby; and no matter how you slice it, it is a very popular sport that brings in a lot of revenue worldwide.

I've heard the arguments: American footballers are sissies for wearing helmets and padding; the game is too easy and on and on, but I can't see it that way. It is an entirely different game, so why hate it?

That would be like baseball players pissing on golfers because they walk instead of run. Why!? It's a completely different game so if you can't appreciate it, why not just ignore it?

Rant rant rant rant

Wildcard is awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2012, 03:39 PM
RE: Football
It's not contemptible, we just think it's gay that you get all wrapped up in padding and stop the play every two seconds. It's not more reliant on strategy, it's more reliant on the strategy of the coach, whereas all other forms of football depend on the players being able to think quickly for themselves.

As for stealing the name football -- well, there's a common misconception among mostly Europeans that "football" means it's played with the feet. It doesn't, it means it's played on foot, as opposed to on horseback as most team sports (eg polo) were in the time when football was first being developed. Similarly, "soccer" is just "association football" -- I don't have any problem with either term, and unlike many Europeans I'm perfectly capable of working out what game people are talking about when they say "football" by the context and terminology, be it gridiron, Australian Rules, rugby league, rugby union or soccer.

So no, I don't hate your football -- I don't like it, and prefer other forms, but what I really hate is your "World Series" and the gladiatorial bullshit that goes along with it, plus how defensive Americans always get when you dare criticise their sport, any sport, football OR baseball (so the two you play reasonably well because you have no competition from the rest of the world Tongue).

I grew up in rugby league heartland. We called Australian Rules football "aerial pingpong". They called league "the gorilla game". Much blood has been spilt, but that's ok as long as everyone holds on to their beer. Now I'm stuck with a Scotsman who knew nothing about either game but is a mad keen "football" fan (Celtic, no less), but I'm slowly educating him and he appreciates that there's skill involved in all sports at elite level, just not the same skills.

I just wonder when you poor Americans will learn that if you keep rising to the bait, we'll keep taking the piss out of you Smile

No fucking censorship. Ever.
01-10-2012, 03:58 PM
eh!!! you drinking mark???

01-10-2012, 04:33 PM
(01-10-2012 03:20 PM)Mark Wrote:  . . . relies more on strategy(that is coaching strategy) than soccer or rugby

(01-10-2012 03:39 PM)Leanne Wrote:  It's not more reliant on strategy, it's more reliant on the strategy of the coach, whereas all other forms of football depend on the players being able to think quickly for themselves.

Compare our statements and you'll see that I specified coaching strategy- so maybe Americans aren't the only ones who can have 'the piss taken out of them.' and as far as individual player strategy, it's obvious that you don't understand American football at all. The quarterback is the coach on the field and each running back, receiver and even those blocking and guarding have to make quick strategy decisions on the field to properly play their position.

Our quarterbacks and receivers have to memorize a stack of plays higher than their head and even backs and defensive players have quite a list of plays they must learn in theory and execution. To say that soccer involves a lot of strategy for individual players is fair, but rugby!? I've watched enough of that sport to know it is about strength and tenacity, but exactly where is the strategy?

And as far as the padding and helmets, these are inforced now due to deaths and serious injuries from the leather helmet days. You call it gay- I call it good sense.

Wildcard is awesome.
01-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Mark, that's not taking the piss, that's just me misreading something and you being defensive about it.

I actually know quite a decent amount about American football. There's a small league that plays locally and I have a few friends who insisted I learn about it before passing judgment, so I know how much work the quarterback puts in on and off the field. Obviously the skill level is nowhere near that in the US. I think you'll find I said "there's skill involved in all sports at elite level, just not the same skills." I appreciate the strategy that goes into playing chess as well, but I don't find it a particularly exciting for spectators. And I can't imagine you'd sit riveted for 5 days watching a Test cricket match either, but I do, because it's what I grew up with and I love it.

Most people who are ignorant of rugby assume it's purely a physical sport. A quick google of rugby tactics would prove you wrong. Not only that, but rugby union and rugby league are significantly different codes of football, though they share many of the same skill requirements.

People have died playing both league and union also. To avoid that, we just change the rules and anyone too stupid or too gung-ho to follow them is punished.

I am choosing to ignore the fact that you have so deliciously risen to yet more bait.

01-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Forgive me for answering your post in a similar manner, but being defensive is the heart of rant, is it not?

It doesn't upset me that people shit on American football, it puzzles me to no end- the same way that Americans saying that soccer is a stupid sport puzzles me. I've never watched soccer until SJ and KP wouldn't stop talking about it, but now that I have I'm really impressed with both the physical elements and the quick thinking soccer players have. So in the same sense that I have no loathing of soccer and nothing bad to say about it as a sport, I also have no desire to hear people say that football players in America are sissies. Some of these college kids play their hearts out in all kinds of weather and take brutal punishment to their bodies to do so.

My interest in soccer will probably fade once I learn the rules more because there aren't enough scores and while I realize that is just the nature of the sport, I also can see that it is not the sport for me- but that doesn't mean I will talk down to someone who likes it.

Maybe I should use more smilies because I am far from angry Smile Big Grin Tongue

EDIT: And when it comes to rugby I know absolutely nothing so in this case I was actually asking a question and not being sarcastic at all.

Wildcard is awesome.
01-10-2012, 06:50 PM
OK here's my 2 cents,if ya like a sport ya like a sport and that's it,weather it's underwater polo to indoor cricket it don't matter

relax RolleyesRolleyes

01-10-2012, 06:52 PM
It's really no wonder Borat was so successful in taking the piss out of the US. You guys really need to learn the difference between "taking the piss" and "hating".

I love soccer. I played it at state representative level when I was in high school. That doesn't stop me from taking the piss out of people who take it WAY too seriously, or thinking that too many elite players are pretty-boy wankers. I also love Aussie Rules, but if a Victorian walked into the same pub as me and started spruiking about how it's God's own game, I'd go out of my way to make fun of their tight shorts and seeming inability to catch a ball. And indeed, if someone was insisting that rugby league is the only kind of football worth bothering with, there's no chance I'd miss the opportunity to talk about dummy halves.

I don't hate American football and I'd hazard a guess that most non-Americans don't either. It really just doesn't make enough of an impact on us to care that much Tongue

01-10-2012, 06:53 PM
(01-10-2012 06:50 PM)karpackie Wrote:  OK here's my 2 cents,if ya like a sport ya like a sport and that's it,weather it's underwater polo to indoor cricket it don't matter

relax RolleyesRolleyes

Oh no, not indoor cricket!

But pretty much all others, sure Big Grin

01-10-2012, 07:18 PM
lmfao

I can see your point Leanne. I may be that since I revere the sport I am too sensitive about it. While someone might be just having a laugh at my expense I take it tha they actually believe what they are saying. Now that I think about it, I make a lot of jokes for the sake of the joke- while the actual message isn't something I really believe.

Wildcard is awesome.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  NCAA College Football 2012 Mark 11 4,964 01-07-2013 12:30 AM
Last Post: Bunny

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)