Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
<
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

F1 Bahrain Grand Prix to go ahead as planned, FIA confirms
13 April 2012 Last updated at 03:08

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17698721

The decision comes after speculation about the event in the Gulf state, in which civil unrest has continued since protests in February 2011.

The FIA has been under pressure to call off the race amid security concerns.

But a statement said it was "satisfied that all the proper security measures are in place for the running of a Formula 1 world championship event".

Protesters in Bahrain have called for the race to be cancelled. It is closely tied with the ruling royal family, who are being pressured to improve human rights and make reforms by the majority Shia population, who accuse the minority ruling Sunnis of discrimination.

Pressure has built in recent weeks as riots have continued in Shia neighbourhoods.

The FIA statement pointed to a "fact-finding mission" undertaken by the organisation's president, Jean Todt, in December last year at which he is said to have met with "a large number of decision-makers and opinion formers" from both sides of the debate.
rediculous to have a race under those circumstances
consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
eh? nonsense. civil unrest makes everything better. and when they make a made-for tv movie about it... thats emmy gold, baby!
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
they can tie a few demonstrators to the front of the cars i suppose
consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
(04-13-2012, 07:51 PM)srijantje Wrote: they can tie a few demonstrators to the front of the cars i suppose

like that mad irish priest that ran onto the track and ran to the on coming cars...mad man Rolleyes
Mercedes' Nico Rosberg took his first pole position as he beat Lewis Hamilton in Chinese Grand Prix qualifying.

The German was a blistering half a second faster than Hamilton, who will start seventh following a grid penalty.
yup i'll be up early for that one