Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
<
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

Electronic Epiphany
Preface

It is a testament to my character that I admit to the events described with full knowledge of Leanne's smugness upon hearing me say, 'You were right.'

Chapter One - The Tragedy

It had been a good night at work. The boss hadn't ventured out onto the yard since before dusk and I was alone- completely alone. Normally I have help, but tonight Matt is out sick and I have the yard to myself.

These are the best nights because if it's even mildly busy then the night will go by quickly and I'll be headed home to reunite with my marijuana and Internet connection. Even if it is slow I can always entertain myself by logging in to one the various forums I visit; continuing my PHP education, pirating stuff, etc. On my phone.

I took a little break and that's what fucked me.

It was slow so I slipped around into the building to talk with the cashier and left my phone on charge. We talked for a while and then suddenly she started, grabbed her phone and reported that it was after closing time. This is quite a big deal as we rarely wait until closing time to actually lock the doors. In my haste to close up and get home I forgot to get my phone.

To me this was more than a little fuck up. I actually use my cell phone to get on the Internet at home as well as out and about. So not having my cell phone is like not having an arm- or like not hav a penis/tits- or like not having herpes . . . wait it is not like that at all. Huh

You might be wondering why I didn't turn around and just go back to work and get my phone, but it wasn't possible, so lay off. Angry

No phone, no Internet, what to do? I could:

Watch some of the hundreds of movies I still haven't watched that I pirated because I just had to have them.

So I finally watched Moneyball. Such a wonderful movie! I'm a big Brad Pitt fan anyway and the movie is touching at times (I once cried watching an Alpo commercial) and good from beginning to end.

Then I cleaned up. I am not a good housekeeper. I usually just do a mass exodus of trash from time to time. Then start back up messing it up again for the month. Boredom (and pot) made me go to another level. When my house was spic and span, I hit the shower and went to sleep early.

Chapter Two - The Unrepentant Sinner

I went to work the next morning thinking about how I didn't miss my phone or the Internet much at all. Actually I was rather smug about it. Here I sat at work happily typing away on the Internet feeling good that I found something to do for a night without the Internet when really it should never have been a big deal anyway.

Then I got off work and came home . . . The power was out.

As I sit here on the last 20% of my cell phone battery, I'm typing up ridiculously longwinded post about my dependency on technology and wondering about the apocalypse.

If tomorrow we were all in bomb shelters hiding from our enemies would I be the only one that will have enough movies and eBooks downloaded to last me until the war is over? Big Grin
Wildcard is awesome.
Hysterical

Nope, not going to say a word...
No fucking censorship. Ever.
me neitherBig Grin
consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
Shortly after that I dropped my iPhone and consequently my Internet connection into a puddle so I had to do without for almost a week. Confusedhudder:
Wildcard is awesome.
I LOVE/HATE technology. I have a stack of real books to keep me company, plus hordes of paint, glitter, glue, etc. Big Grin
What hit home for me was your admission that you d/l movies just for the having of them and don't hardly ever get around to watching them.

I was so happy when I discovered so much music that I loved in my youth and spent days downloading and organizing all of Bob Dylan's albums, all of Neil Young, all of Van Morrison, etc.

But then a worrisome feeling began to overtake me. I spent all this time getting the music ... but I never seemed to listen to it. I guess the problem is that I'm not 16 years old anymore.

And now it's true for movies. I downloaded the nine movies that were nominated for Best Picture of 2011 (including Moneyball). But I just can't seem to stay awake to watch any of them from start to end.

The one I really want to watch is The Help. But I just can't muster up the energy.

Can the truth be that the "getting" is just more fun than the "having"? If so, I fear many of us might be in deep trouble here.
there's a big difference between music and movies,i got the same as you with movies,music however you can just put on and either listen to or have as background,right now while i'm typing this i'm listening with half an ear to captain beefheart,great
consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
(04-01-2012, 12:44 PM)AliShibaz Wrote: What hit home for me was your admission that you d/l movies just for the having of them and don't hardly ever get around to watching them.

I was so happy when I discovered so much music that I loved in my youth and spent days downloading and organizing all of Bob Dylan's albums, all of Neil Young, all of Van Morrison, etc.

But then a worrisome feeling began to overtake me. I spent all this time getting the music ... but I never seemed to listen to it. I guess the problem is that I'm not 16 years old anymore.

And now it's true for movies. I downloaded the nine movies that were nominated for Best Picture of 2011 (including Moneyball). But I just can't seem to stay awake to watch any of them from start to end.

The one I really want to watch is The Help. But I just can't muster up the energy.

Can the truth be that the "getting" is just more fun than the "having"? If so, I fear many of us might be in deep trouble here.

I've always been a pack rat. I enjoy the getting and the having. One of these days when my Internet is out or I'm really bored I'll need something watch and will be glad to have a nice selection Smile
Wildcard is awesome.