• Portal
  • Search
  • Member List
  • Help
  • Random Thread
  • Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

"E-sports"
    In my humble opinion I believe that the so called "e-sports" are not sports in any way shape or form and are ruining what gaming used to be. Being what many would define as a nerd, you would expect me to agree with the concept. Alas I do not. I believe that video games were created to be fun and to act as a hobby. Not something to be done professionally and certainly not as a career. I find it deeply saddening that with competitive gaming on the rise, games like Mass Effect and Shadow of The Colossus, that tell very deep narrative like stories with complex themes and character development, will start to dwindle in favor of competitive games that are less of an art form and more of a cesspool of immaturity and racial bigotry. Targeted at work deprived adolescents and adult children who self-identify as "professional gamers."

Does anyone concur?
    I have no idea about video games, but I like that last line.

The games I've played are usually one person games. No character development, shooting etc involved. So I guess am with you on that. I guess it will be the next generation's problem (hopefully) :-p

(PS: Give us some Vogon poetry sometime)

Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden Nash
    (03-18-2015, 08:19 AM)radiobox Wrote:  I have no idea about video games, but I like that last line.

The games I've played are usually one person games. No character development, shooting etc involved. So I guess am with you on that. I guess it will be the next generation's problem (hopefully) :-p

(PS: Give us some Vogon poetry sometime)

AH! Finally someone else who has read the book!

Ah freddled gruntbuggly,
    Thy micturations are to me,
    As plurdled gabbleblotchits,
    On a lurgid bee,
    That mordiously hath blurted out,
    Its earted jurtles,
    Into a rancid festering confectious organ squealer. [drowned out by moaning and screaming]
    Now the jurpling slayjid agrocrustles,
    Are slurping hagrilly up the axlegrurts,
    And living glupules frart and slipulate,
    Like jowling meated liverslime,
    Groop, I implore thee, my foonting turling dromes,
    And hooptiously drangle me,
    With crinkly bindlewurdles,
    Or else I shall rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon,
    See if I don't.
    Thank you :-)

However, lets put this thread back on track. I shall spend a week trying to see what I can come up with on "professional gaming". It is new to me. It is sad for me to see kids everywhere playing games on parent's mobiles. I'd have probably done the same had this tech existed way back. Yet something screams inside me as when Ford and Arthur are subjected to Vogon poetry.

Aside: The book (h2g2) lies next to my keyboard. Pulled it out hoping to re-read it again after a gap of 8 or so years.

Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden Nash
    Isn't Vogon singing considered to be even worse?

consistency is the hobdob
    of small minds[
    (03-19-2015, 08:44 AM)srijantje Wrote:  Isn't Vogon singing considered to be even worse?

Yes Vogon singing is considered to be one of the most unbearable things in the entire universe.
    Hi Vogon1999,

I'm not that much into it like my son is, but isn't it the spirit of competition the main thing? Professional gamers? is it getting to that? where it's being considered a profession?

It's definitely not a "sport" since no physical involvement (unless you consider pressing buttons on a joystick physical activity...)

Please don't consider this a statement by me , but me humbly asking questions about a topic I am naive to. Sport...no, Competition, absolutely!!!!
    (This post was last modified: 03-21-2015, 05:11 PM by LZA.)
    "Professional Gaming" sadly is considered an actual job. The United States government considers League of Legends an actual sport. Which disgusts and appalls me to the point of wanting to leave this godforsaken country at the first opportunity. However, that is beside the point. Professional gaming has been around since as long as people knew the could capitalize off of sitting on their asses. Precisely when YouTube implemented an ad revenue system was when this notion of making money off of gaming arose. The second people realized there was more money to be made by turning gaming into a "sport" of sorts was when e sports was created. Look at games like Counter Strike and League of Legends, there are people making hundreds of thousands of dollars off of gaming tournaments. To think there are jobless college graduates who have proper educations making far less money then these adult children who call themselves "professional gamers." Another joyful little factoid that makes me debate my existence.
    (This post was last modified: 03-22-2015, 01:58 AM by vogon1999.)