Current time: 09-22-2017, 10:16 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DvD or VHS recorder
05-04-2012, 07:58 PM
DvD or VHS recorder
ok guys and girls,
The story is i wanna upgrade my tv programmes onto my site,i am currently getting them of the irish players i.e rte player,tv3 player webrips basically and so on,then i have to convert then from flv to avi,which the files are very watchable but not 100%,currently they are about 90% quality webrips,

So i have come to a decision making time,will it be

Dvd recorder which would be 100% quality but very expensive

VHS recorder which i dunno if it would be 100% quality but cheaper and transfer the files to avi as usual

or is there any other alternative getting tvrips 100%

any help would be appreciated BlushBlushHuhHuh

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2012, 08:11 PM
RE: DvD or VHS recorder
Moved to Help Requests/admin

Wildcard is awesome.
05-05-2012, 02:54 AM
i think i am missing the question here. are you talking about a source to encode from? like record with a vcr and then rip to avi? if thats what you mean, try tivo. i'm not sure about how or with what to do this with on a windows machine... but on my mac using toast... i can record with tivo and then export that video onto my computer using toast.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
05-07-2012, 03:06 AM
(05-05-2012 02:54 AM)stormium Wrote:  i think i am missing the question here. are you talking about a source to encode from? like record with a vcr and then rip to avi? if thats what you mean, try tivo. i'm not sure about how or with what to do this with on a windows machine... but on my mac using toast... i can record with tivo and then export that video onto my computer using toast.

No.1 would the quality be the same using a new vhs tape as it would be using dvd's (recording from tv of course)

that's my question

05-07-2012, 04:19 AM
vhs has lower resolution than dvd.
plus, it's analog - quality of recording/playing depends A LOT on the quality of the recorder/player and on the quality of the tape.
05-07-2012, 04:24 AM
(05-07-2012 04:19 AM)bob5695 Wrote:  vhs has lower resolution than dvd.
plus, it's analog - quality of recording/playing depends A LOT on the quality of the recorder/player and on the quality of the tape.

so therefore if i bought the best vhs blanks out there,would it be better than webrips resolution

05-07-2012, 04:33 AM
quality of webrips is variable - it depends on the source and on the encoding.

if your vhs recorder is brand new and carefully fine-tuned, and if it has 4 or 6 heads, and if it's fed a clean noise-free tv signal,
i see no reason why it wouldn't produce a better alternative to the average webrip.
03-26-2014, 10:30 PM
Do the Irish really still use VHS machines? Huh

The question posed by this thread, DVD or VHS recorder is an anachronism. It belongs in a bygone era.
These days, folks who do TV video capture do not use either technology.
The video is generally captured directly to a hard drive in H.264 format, using a PC via a TV tuner card or a high def video to USB adapter.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-27-2014, 04:37 AM
(03-26-2014 10:30 PM)velvetfog Wrote:  Do the Irish really still use VHS machines? Huh

The question posed by this thread, DVD or VHS recorder is an anachronism. It belongs in a bygone era.
These days, folks who do TV video capture do not use either technology.
The video is generally captured directly to a hard drive in H.264 format, using a PC via a TV tuner card or a high def video to USB adapter.

jesus vf this thread is as old as yourself LMAO

Quote:The video is generally captured directly to a hard drive in H.264 format, using a PC via a TV tuner card or a high def video to USB adapter.

using a PC via a TV tuner card or a high def video to USB adapter or a skybox or a soarview box,actually the files come out as .ts or .mts files using (VideoReDo TVSuite V4) to edit,then it's up to the user which format they want it to come as,you have about 10 choices it does not have to be H.264 format

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)