Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

Dual core Android 4.2 Smart TV Box Media Player
The dual core Android 4.2.2 smart TV Box media player that I bought on eBay from Hong Kong last November finally arrived in the mail today.

[Image: $T2eC16V,!y0FI,Ej9mu)BScN!8kUHg~~60_12.JPG]

I hooked it up to my AV receiver and the LAN and turned it on.
Having Android come up on the screen in Chinese was a bit of a shock.
It took me a while (I had to look in the settings on another Android device) to figure out how to change the language setting to American English.
Other than that, the device is very slick.
I finally have Android up and running in 1080p resolution on my 46" Sony living room TV set.
The Google Play Store icon was on the screen, so I started installing my favourite free apps right away.

Now I need to get a 32 GB flash card for the box, and a cordless USB mouse.
It really needs to have a mouse connected, since Android is designed for touch screen devices.
Using the cursor buttons on the remote supplied with it works, but is rather awkward.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
So you finally got rid of the ASUS?
No, I still have my Asus O!Play model HDP-R1 boxes. I own four of those, one for each TV set in the house.
I added the Android box to my big screen living room TV so that I would be able to play apps from the Google Play Store on it.
My TV set is controlled by a Sony AV receiver, so I have many HDMI inputs to choose from via the remote control.

The Asus O!Play box is strictly a DLNA client, and it will play any file format presented by my DLNA server, except for 3D video.
I don't have a 3D TV set, so that is not an issue for me.

The Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean box is an Android computer that has all the standard Android capabilities except for GPS, phone and touchscreen.
On it I need to run apps in order to do anything.
I played my first game of Solitaire on my big screen TV yesterday. Smile

Being a much newer hardware design, the Android player is considerably smaller than the Asus O!play box.
The first series of Asus O!play came out in 2009, so that design is now nearly 5 years old.
The Asus HDP-R1 box is the size of a quite thick hardcover book.

The modern Android computers with multicore CPU, a Gig or more of RAM and a large solid state flash drive are typically build with surface mount components on both sides of a motherboard the size of a credit card, so they are really tiny.
The Android box is the size of a slim paperback book.
- Robert A. Heinlein
My bad. I misunderstood from the 'media player' part. Undecided

So, all you are using this for is for Android apps on the big screen? (Not that I'm knocking it, though.)
Yes.

Having Android available on a big screen TV is rather neat.
And it doesn't cost very much.
The box I bought from Hong Kong on eBay cost me less than $60 including shipping.
That makes it quite a bit cheaper than the purpose dedicated brand name media player boxes sold in North America, which typically retail for around $100.

And if you install Asustek's O!MediaShare app on it, plus the VLC player for Android, both of which are available for free from the Google Play Store,
then it can perform the same DLNA streaming client and playback functions as an Asus media player box, giving you the best of both worlds.
- Robert A. Heinlein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buying a modern MP3 player AliShibaz 21 8,362 12-14-2015, 09:17 PM
Last Post: wolfis
  Tesla unveils the ‘D’, a dual-motor all-wheel-drive super car with auto-pilot radiobox 0 1,652 10-10-2014, 04:23 AM
Last Post: radiobox
  Just Bought LG Blu-ray Disc Player AliShibaz 3 6,126 06-17-2014, 03:21 AM
Last Post: velvetfog