Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

DreamWeaver. Yes or No?
Hi all,

I've used many different S/W programmes for web site construction and development. It's not an area where i'm in my "comfort zone" but my pig stubborness fuels my motivation. (If i don't know how to do something, i'll move heaven and earth to learn Smile ).
Initially, a very kind, helpfull and insightfull user on the net introduced me to Adobe DreamWeaver (his/her user name is "twiztedsister").
I struggled to get to grips with how the software works, and when i did, i thought it was amazing!!

IT DID MOST OF THE WORK FOR ME!!

Now i feel different about the software. I've reverted back to learning codeing/mark-up from scratch.
So what are your feelings on this/similar software.

Is it helpful or doesit take the learning out of learning??Smile
My Torrents Are HERE And HERE Big GrinYay
Both.

It's to web programming what Visual Studio is to GUI programming. While it takes alot of the coding out of development and allows you to focus on design, it handicaps a newcomer when trouble-shooting is necessary. Jmo of course
Wildcard is awesome.
(12-23-2011, 06:38 PM)Mark Wrote: Both.

It's to web programming what Visual Studio is to GUI programming. While it takes alot of the coding out of development and allows you to focus on design, it handicaps a newcomer when trouble-shooting is necessary. Jmo of course

My sentiments exactly MARK. When i used it first it gave me an element of belief in my abilities. But as you've highlighted, when it came to de-bugging/trouble shooting i was lost.

I'd love to hear other users thoughts on this and similar software. in thisage of "I want it yesterday", i think that these and similar software packageshave their place. but not for beginners.
That's just my opinion Smile
That's what is sad, Kaiser. These packages are aimed at beginners. of course they are for pros too, but a large portion if the market share goes to noobs who believe DreamWeaver will make them a pro overnight. Personally I wouldn't touch the damn thing.
Wildcard is awesome.
I've reverted back to the likes of w3schools and a huge amount of educational material which i hold on an external HD.
Initially i thought i was right/smart in doing it the way that i was shown.
There used to be a user on SB called "kaulfbaumer" (I still think he's now kjf Wink ), who is a master at codeing etc and he warned me that i was "putting the cart before the horse". Now i see his wisdom.
his advice to me was to learn HTML first and foremost. If not, i'd be lost with any other language/mark-up/codeing.

He was bang on the money!! Smile
I think you should at least learn half of HTML, CSS, or all of the above before using stuff like Dreamweaver. It's like using a calculator before learning to add by counting.

In fact, I would go as far as saying "don't use Dreamweaver." Coding can be fun. Instead, use this: http://www.arachnoid.com.
(12-24-2011, 01:10 AM)RobertX Wrote: I think you should at least learn half of HTML, CSS, or all of the above before using stuff like Dreamweaver. It's like using a calculator before learning to add by counting.

In fact, I would go as far as saying "don't use Dreamweaver." Coding can be fun. Instead, use this: http://www.arachnoid.com.

To me, that's sound advice. And thanks for the link.

I should clarify by saying that the reason I dont and won't use DreamWeaver is because I am more interested in the process of learning than in the speed of the process.
Wildcard is awesome.