Current time: 08-19-2017, 07:32 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Talking To Yourself Make You Crazy?
06-21-2015, 11:49 AM
Does Talking To Yourself Make You Crazy?
A quick search for 'talking to yourself' will reveal that there is an active debate on whether there is anything wrong with talking to yourself or not.

I'll admit that if I saw a dirty homeless guy standing by himself and muttering, I would probably assume that he was off his rocker, but I have to admit that I talk to myself a good bit. But I am not really talking to myself as much as I am just talking so that I can hear the sound of the words in my head.

When no one is around, I find myself practicing conversations that require diplomacy and tact to see how it sounds when said aloud. I sometimes make comments on things that I'm working on like, "That looks good." or "Needs another coat of paint . . ."

So am I crazy? Don't answer that. Tongue

I think that the difference is whether you allow other people to see you talking to yourself. If you are not even cognizant enough to know that you shouldn't let people see you talking to yourself then imo there is a better chance that you might be mentally unstable. Big Grin

Do you think that talking to yourself is a sign of insanity?

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2015, 01:48 AM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2015 01:48 AM by LZA.)
RE: Does Talking To Yourself Make You Crazy?
I guess it really depends on what you are saying... When I worked, I talked to myself all the time. It's kinda like getting ideas/thoughts out of your mind so you can better organize yourself. I'd mumble to myself things like: "what did she ask of me? Oh ya... When's that meeting"

Kind of like if a picture is worth a thousand words, then hearing it is worth 500 words.

I started to write stuff on paper so I can see it.. A picture is worth a thousand words, right, isn't writing in a way a non verbal form of communication to yourself???

I think it's not crazy at all if it serves a purpose

If you're saying things like: coffee, blue, fuckmydog, dominoes!!..That's not helpful
Find all posts by this user
06-25-2015, 02:20 AM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2015 02:22 AM by radiobox.)
Am more or less in your position vis-à-vis talking to self.

I find I do a lot of talking to myself. It helps me orient myself when am busy doing multiple tasks.

If I need to meet someone, I tend to do a short rehearsal of what I want to say.
My general motto is to try to convey my idea in two sentences. (don't know where that came from).

Other than that I talk to birds, squirrels are sundry other creatures and at times to inanimate objects.
One of my favourite pastimes is to add my own commentary/dialogues to something playing on TV.

Self talk is often interspersed with a song of the moment.

yeah. so that's me. Smile

During my school days I am known to have talked math formulae etc in my sleep.
I had a tendency to memorize everything whether I understood it or not. Perhaps that's where it all started Tongue

I think I may have been caught talking to myself a couple of times, but fortunately most self-talk happens when am alone.

I'll try to see what else I can remember. I certainly have no recollection of being in an 'institution'. So I guess this is a neural/behavioural thing of some sort and there's nothing wrong with it.

Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden Nash
06-26-2015, 12:16 AM
I talk to myself constantly,only not out loud but in my head,usually accompanied by colorful pictures

consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
03-08-2016, 06:10 PM
I got caught talking to myself today and I got my wits scared out of me at the same time.

Today I worked completely alone for almost the entire day. At the shop, I was welding the base of a connex trailer and all of the other guys were out on various other jobs. As I finished a weld, I muttered aloud about the weld, "that looks better" or something. Keeping in mind that I haven't seen or talked to anyone since I left home and I think that I am still completely alone.

Over my shoulder-- very close, I hear the voice of the owner of the company: "Yeah, that looks better." I don't know why but I nearly shit myself LMAO I don't talk to him very often so I didn't even recognize his voice. I had momentary visions of some serial killer who was about to plunge a knife in my heart. XD

I'm so fucking crazy sometimes...

03-08-2016, 07:47 PM
i don't think that counts as talking to yourself... but if it does... we both have issues... although, i usually make comments like that after masturbating after reading gh0ster's profile.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
03-09-2016, 05:20 PM
(03-08-2016 07:47 PM)sporkium Wrote:  we both have issues...

I think that's a fair assessment. Tongue

03-10-2016, 04:35 AM
it's more like I think to myself

consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
03-10-2016, 07:11 AM
how about talking to yourself while masturbating... like furiously masturbating... like furiously masturbating while hanging in the closet... that kind of masturbating?

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
03-10-2016, 06:21 PM
(03-10-2016 07:11 AM)sporkium Wrote:  how about talking to yourself while masturbating...

Sure. I'll try anything once or twice. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Do bunny rabbits make good pets? AliShibaz 2 1,563 12-20-2013 11:52 PM
Last Post: kath3
  This will make your hair stand on end. Halloweenpsycho 11 4,628 05-01-2013 09:02 PM
Last Post: Arachne

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)