Current time: 04-23-2017, 04:38 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Computer Memory
12-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Computer Memory
question?? What's the best way to clear up space in my computer memory??

How do i get rid of the things i dont need??

What do you consider clutter??

RC IS THE SICKNESS THAT MAKES MY MIND GO ROUND-BUNNY
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2012, 03:34 PM
RE: Computer Memory
(12-18-2012 02:53 PM)Bunny Wrote:  question?? What's the best way to clear up space in my computer memory??

delete what you don't need.

(12-18-2012 02:53 PM)Bunny Wrote:  How do i get rid of the things i dont need??

files - select and hit shift+delete

installed programs - uninstall them

(12-18-2012 02:53 PM)Bunny Wrote:  What do you consider clutter??

stuff i have no use for.
12-18-2012, 03:51 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2012 03:53 PM by AliShibaz.)
Do you know how much memory you have?

Do you have any utilities like Everest that will tell you how much memory you have as well as most other stats re the components of your pc?

You can download Everest from here:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Syst...tion.shtml

P.S. Guess where I found that out? (Yes. From Google).

P.P.S. Guess what else? I don't want to tell you this cuz you will think I'm being a smart ass. But I'm sure you know what I would say next.

O.K. I will tell you. But I'm not trying to be a smart ass.

If you Google this: "What's the best way to clear up space in my computer memory?"

You will see a few sites that contain some really good info.

Hope that helps you.
12-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Do pictures take up alot of memory??

12-18-2012, 03:56 PM
And my computer is not hooked to the internet to Google things. i do use my phone for internet but i wanted to ask here first.

12-18-2012, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2012 06:45 PM by AliShibaz.)
(12-18-2012 03:54 PM)Bunny Wrote:  Do pictures take up alot of memory??

Pictures take up about 1,000 times more memory than text docs.

And movies take up about 1,000 times more memory than pictures. (you can think of a movie as consisting of approx 1,000 pictures - 24 frames per second mean if a movie is 2 hours long, that is 2*60*60*24 = 172800 images (aka frames). But since most images in a movie don't change, (maybe out of every 10 frames, 9 of them are identical), the actual number is much lower.

But that is extremely general. If you go to TPB, you can see how much memory typical movies and songs and pictures take up.

I suggest you consider buying an external HD. You can get a Western Digital 3TB external HD for about $150 and they are excellent! You can store a huge amount of stuff on one and keep it as backup storage. Once you store something on it, you can unplug it and take it to another location to back up your original files in case of theft or fire or flood or anything else that will harm your home and anything inside it.
12-18-2012, 05:18 PM
(12-18-2012 02:53 PM)Bunny Wrote:  question?? What's the best way to clear up space in my computer memory??

I am almost certain you mean to say 'storage space' or 'hard drive space' rather than 'memory'.

Memory is short for Random Access Memory (RAM) and this can be thought of as a serving table where food is prepared. Hard drives store the media and applications that we use so that it can be moved into memory and viewed/edited etc.

You can think of hard drive space as the refrigerator that holds the food until it is time to cook it. Smile

As far as how to clear up space, I always just back up all my documents, format and reinstall once every 3-6 months. I rarely ever delete any programs once I've installed them, but if they were a waste of time they won't get reinstalled the next time I do a clean install.

^I am not recommending you do that- I am nuts.

Wildcard is awesome.
12-18-2012, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2012 06:46 PM by AliShibaz.)
Good point Mark.

I should have caught that.

Sorry, Bunny.

P.S. Mark, please feel free to correct anything else I said to Bunny.

I fear that I may have over-simplified when I said that a picture takes up approx 1,000 times as much space as a text doc and a movie takes up approx 1,000 times as much space as a picture. I was trying to say something simple that would be easy for Bunny to remember but still useful.

I did say it was an extreme generalization. But I'm thinking you might be able to say that in a better or more accurate way?

Hey Bunny?

Do you see all these posts on your phone? If you do, I will try to be a lot more brief.
12-18-2012, 08:28 PM
I have lots of pictures. what would you do to keep them but clear them off my computer?

12-18-2012, 08:33 PM
And i do know how to delete files and how to remove programs but i only remove ones Ive installed so that i dont remove programs that i shouldn't.

what i have most on my pc are games, pics, and music.

and if you have more than one user profile on the computer does that take up more hard drive space?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bangladeshi computer whizz kid eyes record books 2010kaiser 36 5,420 05-01-2012 04:18 PM
Last Post: lightbulb

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)