Current time: 08-22-2017, 02:15 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
City dumps 38 million gallons of water after teen pees in it.
04-17-2014, 03:51 PM
City dumps 38 million gallons of water after teen pees in it.
The city of Portland, Oregon, has had to dump 38 millions gallons of water after a man urinated in it, because 'they didn't know how to treat it.' Wtf? People piss in reservoirs every day. If the reservoirs hold water that's already been treated, and ready for delivery to homes, why were the reservoirs open in the first place? A May ballot will decide whether they become closed apparently. Still, they didn't know how to treat it?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014...s-of-water

"everyone wants to win but no one wants to drink a bucket of sj's piss" - bob5695
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-17-2014, 05:26 PM
RE: City dumps 38 million gallons of water after teen pees in it.
that was kinda funny... never thought cnn would be making funnies: 'urine big trouble, pal.' lols...

yeah, they don't know how to treat the water... meaning the reservoir in question does not have a treatment facility as the water has already come from the treatment facility.

the issue to dump the water is because of two issues: ethics and the law.

the epa says that all open reservoirs have to be covered by 2015 and the to keep natural contaminates out of the water and the water district says now that they know someone has peed in the water, it's not ethical to deliver that water to their customers.

so their plan is to dump the water and then close that reservoir.

pretty neat.

now that i've thought about it some more, that is really very neat. can you imagine if that water supply was controlled by a for profit corporation like... let's say... umbrella (umbrella is a fictional company known for doing some fucked up things for profit in the resident evil story lines)? umbrella would do something like use a mathematical formula to decide if the cost is worth maintaining the quality and probably just keep pumping that water to it's paying customers.

let's take the recent general motors issue regarding faulty ignition switches in their cobalt cars that have resulted in a lot of deaths and injuries; it's sort of the same concept. npr's wait, wait... don't tell me radio show summed it up best:

"it was a historic leap when america saw the first female ceo of a major car company could be just as much a weasel as any man. mary barra of g.m. was grilled on capitol hill about the company's latest scandal. turns out that they knew for years that one of their cars were defective and they never did anything about it. it wasn't big deal they said; it was just if you drove a chevy cobalt and happened to jostle the keys, the engine would turn off, the brakes and air bags would go dead, and the radio would only play christian rock."

they might have been joking about the christian rock.

anyway. they probably used a similar 'risk management' formula to decide what was more important: quality or profits. the determining outcome would have resulted in quality being more favorable (don't get me wrong, the profits are always number one but...) since the cost of law suits would have cut into the profit margin... it would have been at this time they shifted into a 'risk mitigation' method of operations which means initiate a recall immediately and try to settle out of court... public records are bad for profit margins... er... and this relates to the water authority because...

now that i think about it, they probably decided to stop selling that water to their customers because the public already knew someone peed in their drinking water and couldn't sell it. the formula says it's cheaper to dump the water and close the reservoir because they had to anyway.

humanity so disappoint.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
04-17-2014, 07:54 PM
This is a good read:
The water you drink has been piss at least 10 times already!

“I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.”
― W.C. Fields

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-17-2014, 10:39 PM
i wonder how much bird shit ends up in those reservoirsBig Grin

consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
04-18-2014, 06:56 AM
. . . and fish shit. Any reasonable person realizes that there is debris in drinking water. Apparently, there are no reasonable people in the Portland, Oregon water department.

04-18-2014, 06:59 AM
what happened to the teen that peed in it,got life?

of small minds[
04-18-2014, 10:04 AM
He was cited for public urination while his 2 mates got one for trespassing. Police aren't naming them, and haven't yet decided if they'll charge them for any additional crimes, according to oregonlive.com.

Personally, I think it's a bit naive to erect signs that say 'Please don't contaminate your own drinking water,' and actually expect every single person to comply. There'll always be people who will go swimming in 'no swimming' areas, or light a smoke near hazardous chemicals or whatever, so the safer and common sense option would be to close all the reservoirs that contain already treated water. The fact that this has happened before indicates the officials in charge are clueless halfwits.

"everyone wants to win but no one wants to drink a bucket of sj's piss" - bob5695
04-18-2014, 01:09 PM
In my city, Calgary, Alberta, all treated water is kept in large underground concrete cisterns, not in open air reservoirs.
Our water treatment plants run continuously, turning river water into drinking water, which is then stored in the cisterns.
From there it is pumped as demand requires into the city's water distribution system.
Keeping treated drinking water in open air reservoirs that someone can not only piss in, but also throw dead animals into,
is in my view a public health hazard.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
04-18-2014, 09:30 PM
it's all relative,these basins are huge,38million gallons,1 dead cow won't make much of a hazard

of small minds[
04-18-2014, 10:08 PM
maybe putting something like a lethal ground defense system surrounding the basin as "prevention" step is on some peoples mind..
imagine that a mounted 7.42mm machine guns with motion sensors surrounding a water reservoir
Idea

[Image: fdhgsdssff.jpg]
May My Light guides you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Motorway Built Around Couple's Home in China's Wenling City Spud17 16 5,141 12-03-2012 10:24 AM
Last Post: snilloc

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)