Current time: 08-23-2017, 01:19 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christmas in November
11-16-2015, 06:31 PM
Christmas in November
I'm seeing an increasing amount of commercials about 'preparing' for Christmas. Whilst I love Christmas for being a holiday where I can take a breather and belt down some hardcore revision and work before exams (no lectures the next day = study & work all night! Big Grin), that and a special time to spend with friends (& family), I'm a bit phased by the fact that people are encouraged to start shopping *now*.

What's your view on starting Christmas early? Or is it actually considered 'late'? Should Christmas be prepared pretty much all year round instead (I love Christmas tunes too~!)?

The mad Wolf rages on.
[Image: wolf_sketch_persona___header_by_christohpera.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2015, 08:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2015 08:09 PM by LZA.)
RE: Christmas in November
I was shopping with the wife yesterday, and they had all kinds of Christmas specials, deals, Christmas, blah blah blah. I was brought up that Christmas season starts the day after Thanksgiving... Black Friday where all the sales go on and people usually commit battery over the hottest holiday item for the year. I usually put the Christmas tree up a few days after Thanksgiving...

Ya, way too early, But the stores who want to make revenue are licking their chops saying Christmas is NOW, and I guess I can agree.. Get the shopping done before the major shopping starts, and you're elbow to elbow with an inch of air to breathe...Waiting 45 min for a parking spot... Some people actually like the craziness of the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season...
11-20-2015, 08:07 PM
Weirdest thing is, they sell 'Christmasy' things...and they expire before Christmas?!

The mad Wolf rages on.
11-20-2015, 09:01 PM
Before Christmas? That doesn't make any sense? I can see them giving the deals that expire ON Christmas, or the day after, but not before?? You're right...It is weird.
11-21-2015, 02:40 AM
it makes perfect sense.

offer the christmas items well before christmas on sale (keep in mind, they are still making a profit) to create the illusion of savings then sell them at their regular price just before christmas for the last minute shoppers (now they are making their full profit) and then sell them at a greatly reduced price to the 99 cent stores (and still make a profit) or keep them in storage until next year.

this is why you never buy on season merchandise... you buy your summer clothes in the winter and your winter clothes in the summer.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
11-21-2015, 04:23 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2015 04:25 AM by wolfis.)
(11-21-2015 02:40 AM)sporkium Wrote:  it makes perfect sense.

offer the christmas items well before christmas on sale (keep in mind, they are still making a profit) to create the illusion of savings then sell them at their regular price just before christmas for the last minute shoppers (now they are making their full profit) and then sell them at a greatly reduced price to the 99 cent stores (and still make a profit) or keep them in storage until next year.

this is why you never buy on season merchandise... you buy your summer clothes in the winter and your winter clothes in the summer.

It's not a wonder @sporkium is the voice of reason! It just explained everything!

@LZA, it's like they sell mince pies and stuff at the bakeries that just don't last from now until Christmas, that kinda stuff...I just found it weird, but @sporkium has explained this strange phenomenon

The mad Wolf rages on.
11-21-2015, 07:15 AM
it gets even more insidious when you think about sales.

a major department store (macy's... for example) was offering a a pair of brand name (nautica... for example) shorts for 50 dollars. the material for these shorts is fairly inexpensive to make... a micro rip-stop and the shorts themselves are fairly inexpensive to make. both the shorts and material are produced in a developing nation (bangledesh... for example).

since the season is currently changing and getting cooler, those shorts wills soon be on sale for about 50 percent off. macy's will never sell an item at or below cost... it's bad business. instead, what they will do is either offer it for at least 70% off (they never go below 70%) or do a buy one at full price and get one for free scheme.

so, that tells us that even at 15 dollars, they are turning a profit... and at full price, they can afford to give one away and still turn a profit. in fact, they can afford to do a buy one get two free and still turn a profit.

so, let's assume that by the time winter is here, they will take the left over stock and put it in their clearance section... at 70 percent off... they might sell some, they might not... it doesn't matter. they will simply take their left-over stock and sell in bulk to a liquidator such as zappos, overstock or 6pm... or walmart or kmart... or... the brand will do a buy-back at cost and have the items destroyed since having their items sold at lower brand stores hurts their brand and thus lowers their potential mark-up.

now, with a focus on seasonal sales and non-essential fashion trends, it's a gamble at best. essential fashion items like levis jeans or dickies pants are a no brainer... buy whatever... sell whatever... need more, order more... they are always in production and the design never changes. your ugly christmas bastard sweaters, however... are limited production runs. so, a designer designs some hideous winter bullshit and markets it to retailers (but only one or two get any particular item... exclusivity means more money)... and the retailer agrees to buy some... macy's might buy some and only keep about twenty in each store in varied sizes... and only in the north eastern stores because you will get your ass kicked wearing them anywhere else... but... here is the gamble: their merchandisers have to decide how much they need in order to meet demand for that season. they can't run out... ever or their stores will be empty for part of the season and their orders were placed last year because it takes lots of time to make thousands of ugly sweaters so there is no ordering of more disgusting holiday sweaters... so it's safer to have extra on hand than none on hand at all, right? wrong. if you sell all your seasonal stuff, it's good because you already have the next season in your warehouse ready to go. you simply re-allocate your inventory company wide so that a small section still has your fiendish sweaters and the rest of the store transitions to spring.

oh, yeah, the sweaters cost about 10 dollars wholesale and they get marked up to about 100 dollars. the more intricate the mental anguish that the knit can inflict, the higher the mark up.

and old people fucking love these sweaters... and they love them even more as gifts for their grandchildren the next year... also, welcome to the global market... it's always winter somewhere and that means that there is always a need for these wretched fucking sweaters.

but, do you see what i'm getting at? it's not even thanksgiving yet and they are selling christmas already and that sale the day after thanksgiving means lots of highly profitable mark downs. if they don't start early, they will have too much crap come spring... just rows and rows of vomit inducing sweaters... red sale signs. the next year... the outlet stores will be overflowing with sweaters... rows and rows of displaced holiday rage while the department stores are fully stocked with the year's new christmas horror... and the cycle will never end.

without advance marketing, the planet would soon be covered in a cashmere knit hell.

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
Find all posts by this user + LZA
11-21-2015, 10:44 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2015 10:45 AM by LZA.)
(11-21-2015 02:40 AM)sporkium Wrote:  this is why you never buy on season merchandise... you buy your summer clothes in the winter and your winter clothes in the summer.
When you put it that way....Yes I can see how it makes sense doing the sales before Christmas...I knew they did it for a reason...And YES! I Always did what you said about winter clothes in the summer and Vice Versa... That gets around the Law of Supply and demand!!! everything's cheaper

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Teacher takes 'gay' out of Christmas carol Mark 13 3,060 12-15-2011 11:36 PM
Last Post: srijantje

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)