Current time: 06-23-2017, 05:26 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Charles Taylor guilty of aiding Sierra Leone war crimes
04-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Charles Taylor guilty of aiding Sierra Leone war crimes
Quote:International judges have found former Liberian leader Charles Taylor guilty of aiding and abetting war crimes during the Sierra Leone civil war.

Taylor, 64, has been on trial in The Hague at the UN-backed Special Court for Sierra Leone for almost five years.

He was accused of backing rebels who killed tens of thousands of people in Sierra Leone's 1991-2002 civil war.

Taylor was convicted on 11 counts including terror, murder and rape - but cleared of ordering the crimes.

He is the first former head of state convicted by an international court since the Nuremburg military tribunal of Nazis after World War II.

Human rights groups described the judgement as historic.

"This is an incredibly significant decision," Elise Keppler from the campaign group Human Rights Watch told the BBC.

Another group, Amnesty International, said the verdict sent an important message to all high-ranking state officials.

Sum' Sauce

My Torrents Are HERE And HERE Big GrinYay
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2012, 02:18 PM
RE: Charles Taylor guilty of aiding Sierra Leone war crimes
Now if they can just start applying penalties that stick, and bring in every leader who's aided war crimes -- and frankly, that's probably all of them, because in the real world the buck needs to stop at the top -- we might start to consider the UN actually worthwhile.

Taylor definitely deserves to be found guilty, but 11 counts actually makes him one of the small fry.

Then again, if the world thinks the UN is neutral and not just grandstanding with things like this, they may be in for a shock.

No fucking censorship. Ever.
Find all posts by this user
04-26-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm stunned he wasn't convicted of genocide. i suppose something is better than nothing in this case

My Torrents Are HERE And HERE Big GrinYay
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Genocide is a big call and opens up a bit of a bag of worms for certain of the UN's main players... I don't think we'll see the success of a genocide charge for quite a while now.

04-26-2012, 07:29 PM
how about the Diamonds typhoons?
did they get nailed?

[Image: fdhgsdssff.jpg]
May My Light guides you
04-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Typhoons eh? I don't worry about them, those things always blow over.

04-26-2012, 07:48 PM
I mean the Jewelry chains business all over London
they are the one that indirectly prolonging the civil war by buying the blood diamonds
and some are even put their own merc's there

May My Light guides you
04-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Ah, the tycoons... yes, well, they're scum and no two ways about it, and I hope their own mercenaries turn on them and do some rending limb-from-limb or something to that effect... but at the end of the day, nobody really expects a businessman to act ethically or with humanitarian goals. Politicians, however, are supposed to have the interests of their people in mind (stop laughing everyone, that's what the job description really says, it's not my fault none of the arseholes have read it). No matter how much money they have, the tycoons you speak of would have no avenues if the governments of these countries weren't turning blind eyes (and open pockets). Therefore, responsibility stops with the guys in charge of the country -- and that includes Britain if there's evidence that blood diamonds are being sold on British shores (and of course there is, they just can't be arsed finding it).

Meantime, you should buy Argyle diamonds... no dictators in Australia, just the odd dickhead.

04-26-2012, 08:19 PM
so....yes..uh..the..tycoons
forgive my retarded Engrish
IdeaIdeaIdeaIdea

May My Light guides you
04-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Well, to be fair, tycoons and typhoons both amount to a lot of hot air.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Maine Zumba Teacher Pleads Guilty To Prostitution AliShibaz 21 8,275 04-01-2013 12:12 AM
Last Post: srijantje

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)