Current time: 04-23-2017, 10:26 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Celebrity writers
04-16-2012, 01:12 AM
Celebrity writers
My local bookshops often promote with big shiny placards celebrities like Katie Price who've "written" some piece of trash, while established authors sit in a corner behind. Has anyone else noticed and been annoyed by this? I hope it's not just snobbery on my part. Regardless which genres you like, they're bound to have professionals or new talents who're capable of producing quality material at fair prices. Would people buy poor quality clothing if it had a television personality's name on it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2012, 01:14 AM
RE: Celebrity writers
yes they would,that's the problem,same with books

consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
04-16-2012, 01:14 AM
Oh, don't even get me started.

These days you pretty much have to shag a footballer or win Big Brother to get anything published... it's not about quality, it's about "celebrity", because consumers are FUCKING STUPID and deserve to waste their money on shitey products... but it would be nice if some people who actually know what they're doing could make some money out of their art/craft.

No fucking censorship. Ever.
04-16-2012, 01:18 AM
i reckon it's the publisher's fault,they're only interested in making money,so what you expect?

of small minds[
04-16-2012, 01:21 AM
I saw an advert the other day for a novel by television presenter Fern Britton. It annoys me because there are so many good authors out there. I don't mean Dostoyevsky, but authors working in genre fiction who know what they're doing. I just don't get it. I don't even have a problem with the celebrities themselves really, but it's like if Fern suddenly decided she was an actress and started muscling out Ian McKellan for juicy roles at the West End.
04-16-2012, 01:36 AM
The way publishing used to work is, PROPER publishing houses would do cookbooks, pulp fiction and all those high-profit kinds of books and then subsidise "literature" because they considered it part of their obligation to uphold quality. Then... well, then they didn't.

And now we're stuck in a quandary -- do you self publish to get yourself famous enough for a publishing company to take notice of, or do you not self publish because most people who self publish are only doing it because there's no hope in hell anyone but their mums would ever buy their books?

Or do you submit to journal after journal, make $10 at a time, get sick of feathering other people's nests (and egos), give up and just spend all your time convincing other people that there's a point to writing even though you know there isn't and probably never will be again?

04-16-2012, 01:49 AM
Sounds like your only hope is to be optimistic and determined long after common sense says you shouldn't be.
04-16-2012, 01:56 AM
and then die poor Big Grin

04-16-2012, 01:59 AM
i know a couple of writers,they say mostly the same
one is fairly well known,says he makes more money translating

of small minds[
04-16-2012, 02:00 AM
(04-16-2012 01:56 AM)Leanne Wrote:  and then die poor Big Grin

You should be a life coachDodgy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What writers do heslopian 6 1,856 03-03-2012 09:33 AM
Last Post: Mark

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)