Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

Can anyone tell me what is going on now wrt 3D TV?
I've been hearing more and more buzz about 3D TV and I'd like to ask if anyone here can tell me what is going on these days.

Recently, I've seen a few big sales advertised from "big box" type stores that read something like "Save Big During Our TV Clearance Sale"?

Does this have anything to do with 3D TVs? Specifically, are they clearing out older TVs to make room for new 3D TVs?

I've seen references in the media (on TV shows and movies) where people are talking about buying 3D TVs.

Does anyone know the current state of 3D TV? Are they affordable for the common guy (like me)? If you were to buy a 3D TV, would you also need to buy special glasses to watch them?

I'd love to know whether it makes any sense for me to start thinking about buying a 3D TV. I've been watching the prices of ordinary LCD TVs plummet. At present, I can get a 32" LCD TV for close to $200. They were close to $1,000 about 1.5 years ago. Does the reason for this huge price drop have anything to do with 3D TVs?

Any information that you can give me would certainly be much appreciated.

Thank you all very much.

You know, I figured that I had better Google "current state of 3D TV" before I waited for people to give me this information.

It turns out there is a large number of hits and places where people describe the current state of 3D TV. I figured it was OK for me to ask you all for this info because despite what technical info is available, it could never take the place of advice from people like you who know what is going on.

But, apparentlly, it can. So .... shut my mouth! I will not blame anyone who chooses to refrain from posting that info here when I could just as well use Google to check it out.

But, I thank you all very much anyway.

Here is one pretty good discussion:

http://hometheater.about.com/od/3dhometh...gend3d.htm

And here is a quote from what they have to say:

If you have been following this site on a regular basis, you have noticed my increasing coverage of 3D and how it fits in with the home theater experience. However, before 3D content arrives in your home theater, it arrives at the local cinema. In an effort to fill the demand for 3D content, movies are filmed either in native 3D or converted from a 2D master, and in some cases, both techniques are sometimes used in the same film.

For a look at current state of 3D, and more specifically, 2D/3D conversion, I recently had the opportunity to sit down with Barry Sandrew, Founder, President, and COO of Legend3D, a San Diego-based company that specializes in 2D/3D conversion and has converted content for Dreamworks, Disney, and many other large studios. We discussed the current state of 3D, the future of 3D, and his company's role in bringing 3D content to consumers.

As point of disclosure, I have known Sandrew and some of his support team for many years, and have worked with his other film colorization companies: AFT (American Film Technologies) and Legend Films.

Robert Silva, About.com Guide for Home Theater: 3D seems to a hit in movie theaters, but what is the outlook for 3D in the home, given the current state of the economy and the fact that many consumers just recently purchased their first HDTV and/or Blu-ray Disc player - which most likely are not 3D compatible?

Dr Barry Sandrew, Founder, President, COO of Legend3D: All the major HDTV manufacturers have committed themselves to 3D. Just about all HD sets will be 3D ready starting this summer. Since there is no premium for the 3D capability, most everyone who is buying an HD TV today will have a 3D ready one in their home whether they want it or not.

Robert Silva: How does your 2D/3D conversion process differ from the real-time 2D/3D conversion technology available on some 3D TVs? What is your opinion on real time 2D/3D conversion in its current state?

Barry Sandrew: I personally feel that real-time conversion is a gimmick that will ultimately not help the TV manufacturers and it causes confusion for the consumer. Some consumers think that real-time conversion and what we do are the same. However they couldn’t be more different.
I find 3D TV to be rather gimmicky.
And I don't like wearing the special glasses.
I'm quite content with high def 2D video.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
(03-19-2013, 08:46 PM)velvetfog Wrote: I find 3D TV to be rather gimmicky.
And I don't like wearing the special glasses.
I'm quite content with high def 2D video.

+1
I don't even have surround sound system or any blue ray discs, so why would I feel the need to upgrade to a 3D TV? I am a child of the 70s and 80s, so I'm used to a low-def picture with slight static. HD is nice, but I don't feel the need to have a huge TV. I'm happy sitting 10 feet away from my 32 inch HDTV.
[Image: MyUserBar2.gif]
i agree with VF
consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
I hate 3dtv. My sister bought one recently and all it's good for is fucking your eyesight up. After watching a 3dmovie, my usual excellent vision went blurry and took ages to readjust. They recommend children under 10 shouldn't watch 3dtv because it makes them cross-eyed. I'm sticking with my 2d hd one thanks.
"everyone wants to win but no one wants to drink a bucket of sj's piss" - bob5695
The Tom's Hardware forum has a good discussion thread about the health problems with watching 3D TV.

Health problems with 3D TV
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
^^ Exactly my point. My sister and her family began to suffer migraine headaches, and her doctor recommended she get rid of her 3dtv, so she did. She and the rest of her family have been fine ever since.
"everyone wants to win but no one wants to drink a bucket of sj's piss" - bob5695