Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

Book Recommendations thread.
The Xenophobe's Guide to the Portuguese (Xenophobe's Guides)

(aka, Making sense of Bob :-p)

Amazon (Free Kindle edition.)
96 pages, 2012.

Download Link (azw3)

Quote:"Parents often ask their young children to reel out their full names as if it were a party trick."

“The proverb ‘cleanliness is next to godliness’ was probably invented by the Portuguese.”

“Machines that can test your blood pressure are so popular that queues often form to use them.”

“If you are Portuguese, you don’t waste anything that can be eaten.”

“Business people have a tendency to say what they think you want to hear.”

Xenophobe's Guide to the Dutch (mobi) :-)
Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden Nash
(07-16-2014, 12:04 AM)LZA Wrote: [Image: four_agreements.jpg]

http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/4158656/T...Agreements Audio books

http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/8138032/T...b_-_Yasser Ebup format and PDF format.

Book description from TPB:

In The Four Agreements, don Miguel Ruiz reveals the source of self-limiting beliefs that rob us of joy and create needless suffering. Based on ancient Toltec wisdom, The Four Agreements offer a powerful code of conduct that can rapidly transform our lives to a new experience of freedom, true happiness, and love.
----------------------
created by Yasser Adnan

I own this and also recommend it.

[Image: books?id=9K6oJ3mezL4C&printsec=frontcove...&q&f=false]

Jitterbug Perfume
is an epic.

Which is to say, it begins in the forests of ancient Bohemia and doesn’t conclude until nine o’clock tonight (Paris time).

It is a saga, as well. A saga must have a hero, and the hero of this one is a janitor with a missing bottle.

The bottle is blue, very, very old, and embossed with the image of a goat-horned god.

If the liquid in the bottle actually is the secret essence of the universe, as some folks seem to think, it had better be discovered soon because it is leaking and there is only a drop or two left.
that sounds like a book worth reading,I'm looking for it now
consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
Amazon should have it. Tom Robbins is one of my favorite authors. Hope you enjoy Smile
fuck amazon,got it from here

en.bookfi.org
of small minds[
Big Grin Thanks for the tip.
Mountain to Mountain: A Journey of Adventure and Activism for the Women of Afghanistan
by Shannon Galpin

Read through the first few pages. Looks to be a good read.

Amazon
Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden Nash
Today, Dec 18, is the birthday of H.H. Munro (aka Saki) [18 Dec. 1870 - 14 Dec. 1916].
His short stories are a delightful read.

It is also the birthday of a certain SF writer named 'Alfred Bester'
I have not read his books, but they seem to have a high rating across book sites.
Could anyone recommend a book or two ?
Full-Rip 9.0: The Next Big Earthquake in the Pacific Northwest - Sandi Doughton
[Image: 15981702.jpg]

On January 26, 1700, a massive earthquake struck the Pacific Northwest, sending a tsunami across the Pacific that slammed into Japan, where several sources recorded the event, making it the earliest documented historical occurrence in our region. It is estimated that the temblor was at least 9.2 on the modern Richter scale, making it the region's most powerful earthquake ... yet. (historylink.org)

Book beginning...
Quote:Stories passed down from that night don't tell us if dogs howled a warning. Huddled together in the cold, the animals might have sensed the first, faint vibrations while the people still slept.

-- from the author's Introduction to Full-Rip 9.0: The Next Big Earthquake in the Pacific Northwest by Sandi Doughton, published by Sasquatch Books.
(12-18-2014, 08:14 AM)radiobox Wrote: Today, Dec 18, is the birthday of H.H. Munro (aka Saki) [18 Dec. 1870 - 14 Dec. 1916].
His short stories are a delightful read.

It is also the birthday of a certain SF writer named 'Alfred Bester'
I have not read his books, but they seem to have a high rating across book sites.
Could anyone recommend a book or two ?
The demolished man
The stars my destination
Golem
of small minds[

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The classic pinup art thread velvetfog 64 45,057 03-26-2016, 12:23 AM
Last Post: srijantje
  An Art thread n0b0dyh0me 164 122,414 06-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Last Post: Wildcard
  Read Book First Then Watch Movie Or Vice Versa? Wildcard 5 3,751 01-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Last Post: LZA