Current time: 05-29-2017, 06:27 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Beastie Boys star Adam Yauch dies aged 47
05-05-2012, 06:44 AM
Beastie Boys star Adam Yauch dies aged 47
Tributes have been paid to Beastie Boys rapper Adam Yauch who has died aged 47 after a long fight against cancer.
The musician - known by his stage name of MCA - had been battling a cancerous parotid gland since 2009.

Yauch previously expressed hope that his condition was "very treatable", but his illness forced the group to cancel shows and delayed the release of their 2011 album Hot Sauce Committee, Pt 2.

He had not performed in public since 2009 and was absent when the Beastie Boys were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last month.

In a 25-year span that covered four number one albums and more than 40 million records sold, the Beastie Boys played both pranksters and pioneers - a ground-breaking act that helped bring hip-hop to the mainstream.

The rapper Q-Tip, a member of another major 1990s New York hip-hop group, recalled that the Beastie Boys "showed us the ropes".

Sean 'Diddy' Combs called Yauch "a true pioneer and a creative force who paved the way for so many of us". The rapper Nas lamented the loss of a "brother".

Rap star Eminem said: "I think it's obvious to anyone how big an influence the Beastie Boys were on me and so many others. They are trailblazers and pioneers and Adam will be sorely missed."

Actor Ben Stiller on Twitter said Yauch "stood for integrity as an artist".

Brooklyn-born Yauch formed the Beastie Boys with school friend Michael 'Mike D' Diamond.

Originally conceived as a punk group, they played their first show on Yauch's 17th birthday. The group became a hip-hop trio soon after Adam 'Ad-Rock' Horovitz joined.

They released their chart-topping debut Licensed to Ill in 1986, a raucous album led by the anthem (You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (To Party!).

"Adam was incredibly sweet and the most sensitive artist, who I loved dearly," Russell Simmons, whose Def Jam label released Licensed to Ill, said on his website.

Their follow-up album, 1989's Paul's Boutique, ended any suggestion the group was a one-hit wonder. It was ranked the 156th greatest album ever by Rolling Stone magazine in 2003.

The Beastie Boys would later take up their own instruments - a rarity in hip-hop - on the album Check Your Head and subsequent releases. Yauch played bass.

On Pass the Mic, he rapped: "If you can feel what I'm feeling then it's a musical masterpiece. If you can hear what I'm dealing with then that's cool at least. What's running through my mind comes through in my walk . True feelings are shown from the way that I talk."

Their popularity perhaps peaked with 1994's Ill Communication, which spawned several of their most famous music videos, including Sure Shot and the Spike Jonze-directed Sabotage.

Yauch also branched into filmmaking and activism, helping raise money for various causes including efforts to help free Tibet from Chinese rule.

The rapper, who died on Friday in New York, is survived by his wife Dechen Wangdu and his daughter Tenzin Losel Yauch.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2012, 08:11 AM
RE: Beastie Boys star Adam Yauch dies aged 47
Rest In Peace
one of the fore father of modern Hip-Hop

[Image: fdhgsdssff.jpg]
May My Light guides you
05-05-2012, 10:11 AM
I grew up listening to The Beastie Boys. They made music that you had to hide from your parents so it was all the more appealing. RIP Adam

Wildcard is awesome.
05-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Adam Yauch: Beastie Boys' MCA Dead At 47

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Westboro Baptist Church Founder Fred Phelps Sr. Dies Spud17 15 7,077 03-25-2014 08:06 PM
Last Post: LZA
  Feel the force and the burn with Star Wars Jedi training school Spud17 0 763 03-17-2013 12:08 AM
Last Post: Spud17
  Hugo Chavez dies, leaving Venezuela in turmoil Spud17 10 3,639 03-08-2013 09:46 AM
Last Post: srijantje

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)