Current time: 06-27-2017, 05:31 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
BST Who knows about it & what it is & why it is
04-15-2012, 06:20 PM
BST Who knows about it & what it is & why it is
British Summer Time

Who knows why it happens

What's it for

Should we keep it and how many other countries change their clocks twice a year (For the first time (excuse the pun) please keep on topic.

My first what i hope to be thread

Big hi to the Monkey
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2012, 06:24 PM
RE: BST Who knows about it & what it is & why it is
was there a topic in there??

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
04-15-2012, 06:26 PM
America does, twice a year and has for a long time.

[Image: 8MeBn.jpg]
04-15-2012, 06:35 PM
(04-15-2012 06:24 PM)stormium Wrote:  was there a topic in there??

Yes Read and underdtand I live in yhis country and knowone here knows why.
So......................................
04-15-2012, 06:37 PM
(04-15-2012 06:26 PM)Stormdrain Wrote:  America does, twice a year and has for a long time.

OK answer the questions for your country and then try and explain why the fuck it happens in UK?????

Whistle
Whistle
Whistle
Whistle
Not easy
Whistle
04-15-2012, 06:42 PM
It's a pain in the arse in Australia because not only do we already have 3 time zones, only some of the states choose to go with daylight savings (summer time) so nobody has the slightest clue what time it is where. I live in Queensland, about half an hour north of the New South Wales border and so, we're on the same time zone most of the year... but in summer, NSW goes an hour forward and Qld stays the same, so I can travel south for half an hour and lose an hour and a half!

I'm sure it makes sense to certain executives who think the world revolves around their ability to have a late afternoon soiree on the terrace in the sunlight... but for the rest of us? We've got lights if we need em, and the sun's up for longer in the summer anyway.

No fucking censorship. Ever.
04-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Summer time" and "DST" redirect here. For other uses, see Summer time (disambiguation) and DST (disambiguation).
See also: daylight saving time article for Australia, Canada, United States, United Kingdom, or listing by country
World map. Europe, Russia, most of North America, parts of southern South America and southern Australia, and a few other places use DST. Most of equatorial Africa and a few other places near the equator have never used DST. The rest of the land mass is marked as formerly using DST.
Although not used by most of the world's countries, daylight saving time is common in the Northern Hemisphere's northern latitudes.
DST observed
DST formerly observed
DST never observed

Daylight saving time (DST)—also summer time in several countries,                      in British English, and European official terminology (see Terminology)—is the practice of advancing clocks so that evenings have more daylight and mornings have less. Typically clocks are adjusted forward one hour near the start of spring and are adjusted backward in autumn.       

Though mentioned by Benjamin Franklin in 1784, the modern idea of daylight saving was first proposed in 1895 by George Vernon Hudson          and it was first implemented during the First World War. Many countries have used it at various times since then.

The practice has been both praised and criticized.        Adding daylight to evenings benefits retailing, sports, and other activities that exploit sunlight after working hours,          but can cause problems for evening entertainment and other occupations tied to the sun.[10][11]. Although an early goal of DST was to reduce evening usage of incandescent lighting, formerly a primary use of electricity,[12] modern heating and cooling usage patterns differ greatly, and research about how DST currently affects energy use is limited or contradictory.[13]

DST clock shifts present other challenges. They complicate timekeeping, and can disrupt meetings, travel, billing, recordkeeping, medical devices, heavy equipment,[14] and sleep patterns.[15] Software can often adjust computer clocks automatically, but this can be limited and error-prone, particularly when DST protocols are changed.[16]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

[Image: 8MeBn.jpg]
04-15-2012, 06:44 PM
On the plus side, it does mean that we can watch British football games an hour earlier than usual here Smile

No fucking censorship. Ever.
04-15-2012, 06:46 PM
(04-15-2012 06:42 PM)Leanne Wrote:  It's a pain in the arse in Australia because not only do we already have 3 time zones, only some of the states choose to go with daylight savings (summer time) so nobody has the slightest clue what time it is where. I live in Queensland, about half an hour north of the New South Wales border and so, we're on the same time zone most of the year... but in summer, NSW goes an hour forward and Qld stays the same, so I can travel south for half an hour and lose an hour and a half!

I'm sure it makes sense to certain executives who think the world revolves around their ability to have a late afternoon soiree on the terrace in the sunlight... but for the rest of us? We've got lights if we need em, and the sun's up for longer in the summer anyway.

Yeah but thats only cos granddad snilloc sent you there in chains Tongue
04-15-2012, 06:50 PM
(04-15-2012 06:42 PM)Stormdrain Wrote:  Summer time" and "DST" redirect here. For other uses, see Summer time (disambiguation) and DST (disambiguation).
See also: daylight saving time article for Australia, Canada, United States, United Kingdom, or listing by country
World map. Europe, Russia, most of North America, parts of southern South America and southern Australia, and a few other places use DST. Most of equatorial Africa and a few other places near the equator have never used DST. The rest of the land mass is marked as formerly using DST.
Although not used by most of the world's countries, daylight saving time is common in the Northern Hemisphere's northern latitudes.
DST observed
DST formerly observed
DST never observed

Daylight saving time (DST)—also summer time in several countries,                      in British English, and European official terminology (see Terminology)—is the practice of advancing clocks so that evenings have more daylight and mornings have less. Typically clocks are adjusted forward one hour near the start of spring and are adjusted backward in autumn.       

Though mentioned by Benjamin Franklin in 1784, the modern idea of daylight saving was first proposed in 1895 by George Vernon Hudson          and it was first implemented during the First World War. Many countries have used it at various times since then.

The practice has been both praised and criticized.        Adding daylight to evenings benefits retailing, sports, and other activities that exploit sunlight after working hours,          but can cause problems for evening entertainment and other occupations tied to the sun.[10][11]. Although an early goal of DST was to reduce evening usage of incandescent lighting, formerly a primary use of electricity,[12] modern heating and cooling usage patterns differ greatly, and research about how DST currently affects energy use is limited or contradictory.[13]

DST clock shifts present other challenges. They complicate timekeeping, and can disrupt meetings, travel, billing, recordkeeping, medical devices, heavy equipment,[14] and sleep patterns.[15] Software can often adjust computer clocks automatically, but this can be limited and error-prone, particularly when DST protocols are changed.[16]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

Absolutely brilliant and now from your point of view what you know on the subject except TiTs ( which is quite the best collection anywhere)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)