Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

Atheists need not apply?
Yeeee HAAAAWWWWWW!
I think I may run for guvner o' TEXASS

I dun figered if I'm going to do the good work of the people, I'll bite off waaaay more than I can chew (ta'backy) and run Texas... I think I'll be a good candidate, right? I'm smart, well I kn0 some stuffs?

I figgre we'll get these backwardz mo'fo's in line and in this century

oh, shit, wait...

From the Texas Constitution: Article 1 Section 4:
No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.
LINK

I don't believe in g0d?? I ca'ntz run??

Oh look, Here are ALL the other states that have the same thing!!

[Image: 9689464229_c45b474eb7_o.png]

Really?? If I tell you I believe in the tooth fairy can I be Attorney General????

I didn't know you can't be an atheist in these states until today... G0d damned ORGANIZED RELIGION fucking everything up again...Built right into the states constitutions.

IMHO...ANY AND ALL Religions SUCKS BALLZ!!!!! People die from religion, suffer from religion, and all the sexual misconduct in the name of religion... I can go on and on

I really wish people were all free to make their own choices without input from any other source (even if the choice is religion). That’ll never happen…

Topic?? WTF is a topic??? I guess it’ll have to be : The importance of separation from church and state… PLZ make this happen na0!!! That’ll be a good start. Then we start on things like honor killings and the like.

a <snip> from my Piratelyfe: Know God, no peace; no God know peace
Your 'supreme being' could be a flying spaghetti monster, it doesn't necessarily have to be 'god.' You could also just pretend and lie like a politician that you believe in a supreme being, unless you're determined to wear an atheism badge and have it as part of your 'thing,' in which case, you have to ask yourself, what's more important, running for office, or promoting your special interest group?

Btw, so called religous wars are usually wars fought over land and territory, not religion. You mentioned honor killings here and in another thread. That is a cultural issue, not one of religion.

So what is it about those 7 states that don't allow atheists to hold office, and have they ever been challenged over their Bill of Rights?
"everyone wants to win but no one wants to drink a bucket of sj's piss" - bob5695
Five of those states listed, Arkansas, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas, are in the southern US bible belt, so they come as no surprise.
But it is a bit strange that they would have laws like that in Maryland and Pennsylvania.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
i won't bother to look it up, but as i recall, pennsylvania was founded by quakers and maryland was founded by catholic refugees which would explain the laws. there are many laws in all of the states that seem absurd and pointless because adding a law is easier than removing one.

every american with at least a partial high school education (or junior high for that matter) should be well aware that those state laws are null and void since federal law supersedes state law and discrimination based on personal belief is a federal crime... that and they were written before the constitution of the united states of america.
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
Ah yes... I really should think before I post. They were making a big deal about this somewhere else and instead of thinking it through, I decided to jump on the band wagon and post it here.

After I saw your post I was going to agree with you, and state that these types of laws are called "blue laws" but then I remembered I was the OP, so agreeing with you would have made me disagree with my original post, which wouldn't have made sense...Knowing I was wrong the only option left was to come clean now and saw I didn't put any thought into the OP before shitting it up there.

As always, thanks to you @sporkium for gently, discreetly & tactfully letting me know I was wrong yet again for my haste full posting... You'll actually find it surprising that I not only received a junior high diploma, but a HIGH SCHOOL diploma as well. Again, in my defense I'll have to say it's not my lack of knowledge, but more my rush to post a topic (maybe attention whoring again) that got me into this mess.
(09-10-2013, 01:53 AM)sporkium Wrote: i won't bother to look it up, but as i recall, pennsylvania was founded by quakers and maryland was founded by catholic refugees which would explain the laws.

That explains it. Two more bible thumper states.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
I was gonna say it was strange to have PA on the list, put ya, it was founded by quakers & still has a lot of amish there today... all strange bible crap.. MS I considered a southern state anyway, so that didn't surprise me as much...

Old Benny Franklin said: The way to see by faith, is to close the eye of REASON
(09-10-2013, 11:02 PM)LZA Wrote: MS I considered a southern state anyway, so that didn't surprise me as much...

I'm pretty sure that most people would consider Mississippi a southern state.

Most places are repealing their blue laws these days.
[Image: MyUserBar2.gif]
(09-11-2013, 03:26 AM)System Folder Wrote:
(09-10-2013, 11:02 PM)LZA Wrote: MS I considered a southern state anyway, so that didn't surprise me as much...

I'm pretty sure that most people would consider Mississippi a southern state.

Most places are repealing their blue laws these days.

OOPS I Meant to say MD - Maryland, not MS (the d & s are right next to each other...fuckers!!)
Why do Americans have to abbreviate place names are you not proud of where you live or is it laziness?

It is meaningless to anyone not within US culture.