Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month
Apparently April is sexual assault awareness month, and usually I don't really give any second thought to these little awareness things that people create for random months...except black history month. Cool

However, police are currently investigating two cases of sexual assault that happened off campus (at a neighborhood that my roomate and I were seriously considering moving to), and one case of armed robbery that happened on campus. So, with that being said, it made me realize how unaware I was of my surroundings and how much I took for granted that I just happened to be safe at all times, I guess. The security has really stepped up their game on campus, and the boys here have made it a point to make sure that us girls aren't walking alone, and all that jazz. I also decided that it'd be smart to take a couple self defense classes just so I'd have that kind of preparedness for the rest of my life.

These kinds of things don't just need to be acknowledged one time a year. Women, be smart. Be aware of your surroundings and don't walk alone at night. If you have to, learn some ass-kicking techniques. I'm all for independency, but don't be a dumb broad, and don't make yourself an easy target. Fellas, don't let chivalry die. Protect your females and don't let them be easy targets.
Happy Sexual Assault Awareness Month, everybody! Big Grin
"Let the music be your master. Will you heed the master's call?"
nothing says self defense like a easily concealable knife or other type of weapon. just because you are willing to go hand to hand, does not imply that would be attacker is willing to do the same.
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
Great post, +2.

I totally agree that women need to take extra precautions with the kind of creeps we have running around today (sj)
Wildcard is awesome.
WHAT?i'm totally harmless,just have a dirty mind which THE LORD will forgive me

no,seriously,storm is right,i reckon you better work on your sprinting ability then martial arts,
consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
No, they teach a lot of other things that you wouldn't normally think about, such as ways to get out of a grip from behind, and ways to deter an attacker to allow you TO get away. Not ways to take on an attacker.
"Let the music be your master. Will you heed the master's call?"
SJ, don't argue with the woman! She knows karate Big Grin
Wildcard is awesome.
i suppose that's ok if somebody jumps you from behind,but if you see it coming,just take off like a rocket
of small minds[
not to totally disregard self defense... but the vast majority of self defense classes are designed to instill confidence, not to provide a viable defense. unless they are teaching you highly offensive techniques, i wouldn't put too much faith into them. the old mantra holds true, the basis of a good defense is a good offense.

the vast majority of rapists have never had a weapon pulled on them (that is a statistical fact) since society as a whole has started to not carry weapons. same holds true for armed robbers as well. now, i'm not saying you need to carry a combat knife or some type of expandable asp. but usually a small knife such as this one (one of my favorites due to its low cost, strong design and ability to deflect off ribs with minimal risk of blade fragmentation):

[Image: DSCN0729.JPG?psid=1]

note the sheath's many different carry options... well suited to concealed carry on a regular day, night on the town or the back hills of afghanistan. i own several of these and love the absolute no failure design. average cost is under 20 dollars.

if you go for the kubotan, choose one like this:

[Image: 1-OFF-TI-VACCINATOR.jpg]

you will note the crowned/puncher design on this kubotan. this has a dull side and an fun side. this is designed for punching out windows, but will do wonders on a pressure point making id later on easier. mace, pepperspray (or teargas combos) and tazers are nice options, but low tech won't ever fail.

the most important issue is to never put them in your purse or pocket. always carry them in a place where you can get to them without struggle or search... and never attach keys to them... a lanyard may be fine, but never keys. keys provide a grabbing point and can swing around and actually injure you.
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
A woman's best defence is a stiletto heel... there's no arguing with a broken foot, let the bastard chase after you then. Stomp and run.

But it's very disturbing that so much emphasis is put on "women must learn to defend themselves". Bullshit. Men must learn to control themselves. Grow the fuck up. Real men don't need to pick on people weaker to prove their masculinity. Rapists are not men, they're sad little parodies of men who barely qualify as human, and then only because they came out of a human vagina.

No fucking censorship. Ever.
absolutely,stomp and run
of small minds[

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  March/The Month of Death Bunny 8 1,991 03-25-2013, 10:51 PM
Last Post: Wildcard